bigfish
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Sky Watcher EQ6-R Pro Question

Post by bigfish »

Hello everyone!

I am eying a new EQ6-R Pro mount.
Super simple question:
Can you use the hand controller at the same time the mount is connected to a computer? How?
The mount I have now I can plug a USB cable into the bottom of the hand controller, It's been very helpful for this beginner.
I don't see a USB port on the HC of the Sky Watcher and I don't see any USB ports on the mount. One video i watched the guy unplugged the HC from the mount and plugged in a cable where the HC was. I can't wrap my head around a reason why you wouldn't be able to use both HC and computer at the same time if you wanted to. (I am a total beginner, LOL) The manual is super confusing especially since I don't have the mount yet.
Thank you!
Redcat 51, Orion 8"x1000mm Reflector, ASI183MC Pro, ASI533MC Pro, ASI462MC, ASI120 Mini, SVBONY SV106 Guide Scope, ZWO Mini Guide Scope, Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, Sky view Pro.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Sky Watcher EQ6-R Pro Question

Post by Lady Fraktor »

These seem to be your options

The EQ6-R mount is equipped with an on board USB port, a SynScan WiFi dongle can also
be attached. Users can control the mount with the following options:
• SynScan hand control.
• SynScan Pro app for iOS: over Wi-Fi connection.
• SynScan Pro app for Android: over Wi-Fi or USB connection
• SynScan Pro for Windows: over W-Fi or USB connection
• SynScan Pro for Mac or Linux (under development): over Wi-Fi or USB connection
• SynScanPTZ( for photography ): over Wi-Fi

I believe when you are connected to the mount through the computer you cannot use the HC even if you are connected through the HC.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

some mounts do let you use the hand controller at the same time,but unsure with the new eq6-r pro, if you have it connected to the pc then i think you'll never want to use the hc again, it is realy much more of a luxury to click on a target and have it slew, as for slewing around while doing visual or doing some alighnment the computer software should support game controllers or joysticks, should be able to pick one up for cheap,there's also on screen mount controll support for mouse or keyboard to slew around if you don't have a game pad.

a good virtual sky app that works with many mounts, you can search for a target and slew onto it with this software.
http://stellarium.org/

this is usualy the prefered software for the eq mount series , you run this and stellerium at the same time, you also need stellerium scope .
http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/eqaindex.html

the eq6 has been updated a few times. if you're looking at the non usb model,you'll need a converter cable,

eq6,neq6 pro, many years old now, and now the newer releases are eq6-r pro normal, and eq6-r pro usb model, both should be the same but one needs a cable convert to usb and the other is usb .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

Would depend on which of the 2 EQ6-R Pro's you get. The one I had, had the USB port right in the mount head next to the Hand Controller port. I was able to use the HC the same time my computer was connected to the mount (Via EQMod) But from what I understand is if you have the one without the USB on the Mount, you will have to connect via USB to the HC and I don't think you can use the HC since you have to tell the HC that your are direct connect to the PC.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight