Discuss Skywatcher mounts.
graywmj5
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

question regarding odd behavior with EQMod/Ascom

Post by graywmj5 »

HI all,

I have a question that I hope will be easily answered. Setting up EQMod and working with Stellarium. The programs seem to work fine together with an odd exception. On targets that are North to West, (Polaris, Arcturus, M101, etc) Stellarium slews the scope directly to them.

On targets that are East of Polaris, M31, M33 etc EQMod shows them to be out of range. I am confident that I have a setting wrong,

Hopefully someone recognizes my error.

Thanks, Bill
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: question regarding odd behavior with EQMod/Ascom

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hopefully someone who uses these programs can give you some advice with it :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

graywmj5 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:07 am HI all,

I have a question that I hope will be easily answered. Setting up EQMod and working with Stellarium. The programs seem to work fine together with an odd exception. On targets that are North to West, (Polaris, Arcturus, M101, etc) Stellarium slews the scope directly to them.

On targets that are East of Polaris, M31, M33 etc EQMod shows them to be out of range. I am confident that I have a setting wrong,

Thanks, Bill

Hello Bill

Are they set up to show low to the horizon as out of range?

I know M31 and M33 rise fairly early in the evening but they start the night low.

I'm a big fan of Stelarium but I don't know much about EQMod.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

graywmj5 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:07 am HI all,

Thanks, Bill
The EQMOD manual is full of documentation about mount limits. You don't mention much more than that it doesn't work, did you disable the mount limits? The FAQ has some pointers too but it's hard to guess what your problem is.

I used EQMOD with Stellarium for a while but not enough to be an expert, it seems to be a program that requires reading the manual in depth. I switched to Ekos and am happy about that, though Stellarium is a much nicer planetarium program than KStars.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
graywmj5
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by graywmj5 »

Thanks for the replies!
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

as henk said, sounds like mount limits, i turned this off and just monitor every slew. you can set your own limits in eqmod
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .