TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro DEC belt Small Gear retaing circle fell off and missing

Post by TheButcher »

Hey all,

Last night as I was just about to image Jupiter with my C-11 and SW Eq6-R Pro, and my Dec stopped movement but motor was running and I knew it was the belt or something. So I opened it up and saw that the belt came loose. Also the night was perfectly clear and great seeing for Planetary go figure... Anyway I did not let it stop me and opened it up and saw that the small Gear was missing it's retaining circle clip (Looks like a washer and I can take photos when I get back home), I thought it just came loose. But after searching the web today I notice that the small gear should have a retaining Circle to stop the belt from falling off the brass tiny gear. Also to mention it did have one on when I got the mount as I had to adjust for bad backlash a few months back.

Now I did not get a chance to look for it, as it could be in a few different places including somewhere in the mount housing. But has this happened to anyone and if so what did you do? If I find it, does it screw back on or did it just break off ect...

My mount is only 5 months old and under warranty and just contacted Skywatcher an hour ago but the customer service now just goes to a voicemail so I left a message in hopes they will call back. I just don't want to be without my mount and ship it back if it could be fixed another away unless it is recommended too then I will.

Thanks all
:)
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro DEC belt Small Gear retaing circle fell off and missing

Post by TheButcher »

Here are some photos, the top 2 how my DEC belt system with the washer missing.

The below is the washer attached. It looks like it screws on?

Thanks again in advanced
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro DEC belt Small Gear retaing circle fell off and missing

Post by JayTee »

This may sound silly, but is the EQ6R Pro light enough to pick up and shake to see if there is a rattling noise? Otherwise, if the washer is magnetic, maybe try a small magnet to probe around and see if the magnet picks anything up.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

JayTee wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:19 am This may sound silly, but is the EQ6R Pro light enough to pick up and shake to see if there is a rattling noise? Otherwise, if the washer is magnetic, maybe try a small magnet to probe around and see if the magnet picks anything up.

Cheers,
JT
Thanks JT :)

I tried that and looked inside too and looked all over the ground where the mount was and it is not a big area and actually sits on fake grass so it would be easy to find. I am thinking it could of been loose or fell off for awhile and the belt slipped off right at the most perfect time when my skies where the best and had a whole night planned with a Jupiter animation with the 1.5x barlow with Europa and IO and Europa's shadow along Ganymede getting eclipsed at the end. Anyway long story short. I contacted Skywatcher and they said I had to mail the head back because of the warranty and they will take out the motors and everything and recalibrate it and stuff to make sure it is good. I asked for a replacement head and they didnt have any and that my issue didn't warrant one. Hmm

Anyway the turnaround time is estimated at 4 weeks to get it back, I tried everything I could and asked just to send the washer retainer part. But with it falling off after little use like that, then maybe there was something more to it and the belt had shavings around the area. The most weight I had on it was under 30lbs and that was just for a 4-5 nights doing planetary, So lucky me now with my brand new C-11 and my RC8 have nothing to do for a month. I still got my ED80 and contemplating getting a used mount or something. I sold my AVX to help fund this too.

So now my next steps is working on getting another mount. Option 1 if I can convince the CFO to get an IOptron CEM60 and then sell the skywatcher when it comes back. or get something that I can us my ED80 with and just keep as a travel mount. Also thinking if I came across a decent AVX for a good price then go with that. But I am not sure if it will do a C-11 for Planetary?

But out of all of this last night I managed to put the belt on and manualy aimed it at Jupiter around 3am and just use the RA buttons nd the DEC very lightly so it would not slip. So I do have a bunch of images I took that I got to process. The polar alignment was knocked out so I had to do the good old drift with Jupiter and Saturn just like I did with my Dob lol

Also a thought, this was a perfect time to build my All Sky Cam lol, now I get to look it and cringe at the Clear skies especially since the weather said there should be a few days of clear skies this week.

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

It's not all that abnormal for things to go South, equipment-wise, on a clear night. When else would it choose to go south?

My CEM60 appears to be a wonderful mount. I just have not had enough in-use time to get comfortable with it in order to figure out how to get the best guiding from it. Right now my Dec axis guiding graph looks like a giant sawtooth. My RMS error is sometimes as large as 4" (not 0.4" like it should be). I'm still working on getting my CEM 60 to perform like I know it can.

For you, your C11 could go on a motor-driven ALT-AZ mount if you plan on using it's strictly for visual and planetary imaging. That's the role I've relegated to my C11 to. It's easy for me because it's a CPC 1100 meaning it's already on a fork mounted alt-az mount.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3

Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

The iOptron CEM60 is definitely one of my choices, the only thing that gets me is that you have to buy the tripod (Would the EQ6-R tripod work temporaily, then when I get the EQ6R and sell it, I would have funds for the mount?). The other one is the CGX and also just reading up on a Losmandy G11? I probably will stay away from the Alt/AZ. My future plan is to upgrade the C-11, to an Edge but that won't happen for at least till the end of summer or Christmas time but also would use the C-11 now with the 6.3 Reducer. I got the Rigel Nstep focuser and it seems to help a bit with the mirror flop or at least a lot easy to adjust when I am inside controlling it if it gets out of focus.

So basically I want to get something that can handle DSO with a C11/C11 edge for future proof. And that is under $2400 or so.

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

The only way to get your EQ6-R tripod to work with the CEM60 mount is to have a custom made adapter plate made. I'm willing to bet that it will cost more than picking up the iEQ45/CEM60 2" leg tripod ($300), not the TriPier tripod.

So CEM 60 ($2188 from Highpoint) plus the tripod ($300) is $2488. C'mon, you can swing the extra $88, yes?

JT

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Have you tried contacting Skywatcher to see if you can get a replacement part?
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:58 am Have you tried contacting Skywatcher to see if you can get a replacement part?
Hi Lady Fraktor,

Yup I asked them for the retaining washer and they said that they could not do that because it was under warranty and they need to repair it because it involves taking out the motors and such and they have to set the right tension and calibrate it right. I tried my best to get the parts. I would probably need a new belt too since it showed black shredings.

Then I asked for a replacement because that thing should not of fell off for being so new and they said that a replacement was not necesary. Hmmm. They then offered to expidite the shipping process. So I agreeded.

I figure the best thing was just to do that and move on to the new direction and get a different mount and sell that when it gets back.

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

belt looks good, it's probably rubbing from the sides and not the teeth . since the eq6-r is realatively new from the eq6 range, i doubt there are any 3rd party spare parts .

i would buy some lock tight and a washer with a smaller hole and drill it to size and lock tight it on, it should hold, unless you can do a instore warranty return then i wouldn't bother sending it a long way for a warranty repair, it's a rather simple fix and belt adjustment is the most simple task.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

it's been some time since i've opened up my eq6 pro (earlier model) i belt moded it and i'm pretty sure it uses the same gear cog .

https://www.myastroscience.com/eq6beltdrive

you might be able to dig up a cog from rowan astronomy .

it's strange that the new eq6 r pro comes with a brass cog for a belt ..

i'm sure he can do a flexible order for just that cog with a decent price.

https://www.siderealtrading.com.au/prod ... drive-kit/
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

yobbo89 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:32 pm it's been some time since i've opened up my eq6 pro (earlier model) i belt moded it and i'm pretty sure it uses the same gear cog .

https://www.myastroscience.com/eq6beltdrive

you might be able to dig up a cog from rowan astronomy .

it's strange that the new eq6 r pro comes with a brass cog for a belt ..

i'm sure he can do a flexible order for just that cog with a decent price.

https://www.siderealtrading.com.au/prod ... drive-kit/
Thanks Rob I just checked that out. Unfortunately it is already in route. I dropped it off this morning. About the new EQ6-R with the brass cog gear is interesting now, because I always had issues with the DEC from the start, then it fell off. One would think to have something more solid or a 1 piece design. I am kind of currious now to see what it is replaced with, because If the brass cirle has threads, then I could of just got the part and screwed it back on and let them give me a new belt which is a no brainer installation but they insisted that I ship it back (at their cost of course). Only the 3 outer plate screws to the DEC housing would have to be removed if I had the simple metal washer ring and the belt just shedded a little bit..

Also about the Loctite Idea I was thinking that too, but then they could possibly void the warranty.

Edit: Also just looking at the photo of mine, with the retainer washer having screwing on and off capabilities, then if the belt were to grab it, then the belt it self could loosen it going in different directions if it was not secure?