Help With Orion Extension Tube

Discuss Orion mounts.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Help With Orion Extension Tube

Post by Refractordude »

Took my az mount off the extension tube, and heard something drop. I am certain this loose piece goes into the hole. Looks like I lost the screw into the grass. How do I put this loose piece back in, and what size screw do I need to buy? Thanks all

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-S ... 0extension
Attachments
image 1.PNG
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Help With Orion Extension Tube

Post by AstroBee »

That appears to be the AZ adjustment peg that lets you adjust the mount west-east when doing the polar alignment. As for the size of the bolt, I can't help you there but can offer two suggestions.
First, if you remember the rough area where it was dropped, get a magnet and drag it around the area and you might get lucky.
Otherwise, take the part to a local hardware store and use the actual part to figure out the size and thread pitch you need. Just make sure you get the right length by judging the depth of the hole with a toothpick or similar.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

It could be that the holding screw is inside the pier. You can unscrew 3 little screws located on the sides of the pier. They hold the top plate. Then you can take the top plate out and look inside.

The screw which holds the peg is metric #5, 12mm in length.
m5 screw.jpg
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

AstroBee/Bigzmey

Thanks
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Thanks to you all. I used a metric #5 14mm. The peg is nice and tight on the mount.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:08 am It could be that the holding screw is inside the pier. You can unscrew 3 little screws located on the sides of the pier. They hold the top plate. Then you can take the top plate out and look inside.

Will this extension tube work with the SkyTee az mount that you own?
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Refractordude wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:48 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:08 am It could be that the holding screw is inside the pier. You can unscrew 3 little screws located on the sides of the pier. They hold the top plate. Then you can take the top plate out and look inside.

Will this extension tube work with the SkyTee az mount that you own?
It will, you may need to remove the peg, but you already know how to do it. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255