Wemos d1 mini ESP8266 wifi to serial scope control

Discuss Meade mounts.
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Wemos d1 mini ESP8266 wifi to serial scope control

Post by StarLord101 »

I understand what would need to be done with the max232 or max3232 for this. With this whole pandemic business, all the sources of those chips online are going to be delayed or take forever to show up. I placed an order for it, but in the meantime, I found a logic level shifter in my stock. It's bidirectional and quite simple. High voltage on one side, low on the other. And you are supposed to provide a reference high and low voltage to the board (I assume to tell it what to shift the level to)

HV is reference high voltage, LV is reference low voltage, and the hv and lv 1-4 are the 4 bi directional channels. I was hoping to give this a shot, at least until the other unit arrives which may be a while. Tx and Rx and ground are fed from the 497 to the high side channels and tx, rx, ground and 3.3v from the wemos d1 mini to the low side. The 3.3v and ground from the wemos go to the low reference voltage to tell it what to step down to. So here's my question: For the high side, I have ground coming from the hand controller and that would be going to reference. Now I can either draw 12v from the aux port or an external power supply to feed into the high reference, but what exactly do I do with the ground from the external power supply or aux? I already have the ground coming from the 497 HC port. But serial communication always needs it's ground present, and I can't just feed a single 12v wire from external power source to it. It needs it's return right? So I have the ground from the power source OR aux and the serial ground. My first thought would be, the same as I do with my Christmas light show, to tie together the ground from various power supplies. But a hand controller is not a 15 cent led pixel. Will this be okay? Feeding an external 12v and as reference and tying together the rs232 and external ground? One being an rs232 port and one being steady voltage I have a mental picture of the handcontroller giving off the magic smoke after a POP!. Anybody care to chime in?
LXD75 GEM mount used with 90mm Meade Refractor, 102mm Celestron reflector, and a deforked Original Meade ETX Mak
Canon T1i stock
Various modified or 3d printed DIY enhancements or tweaks
Does a kids sunglass lens count as a fancy filter? Cause I have lots of those :)