worm stuck on shaft while being removed LXD75

Discuss Meade mounts.
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

worm stuck on shaft while being removed LXD75

Post by StarLord101 »

Don't know if I missed something, but following a few different guides and pictures of the LXD75, was taking it apart for a hypertune. Get to the last part of the DEC which is sliding the drum gear off the shaft. The two parts were sliding cleanly side to side. It started coming off then about halfway through it got stuck. I checked everywhere and re checked schematics, could not see any screws or fasteners left. I started trying to rock it very gently alternating pushing from opposite sides trying to get it to go the rest of the way......and now it's EXTREMELY stuck on a slight angle! Even worse sigh....I tried very gently tapping the raised side down with a rubber mallet to try and even it out again, and the metal is so soft that it actually flattened the top 1 mm of a few teeth. So any kind of tapping seems to be out of the question. Anybody lend some wisdom how to get this bastard off? Without further damage if possible? You don't even have to have experience with this mount. It's the Drum gear and Declination main axis in the picture below

LXD75 GEM mount used with 90mm Meade Refractor, 102mm Celestron reflector, and a deforked Original Meade ETX Mak
Canon T1i stock
Various modified or 3d printed DIY enhancements or tweaks
Does a kids sunglass lens count as a fancy filter? Cause I have lots of those :)
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: worm stuck on shaft while being removed LXD75

Post by yobbo89 »

You'll have to send a pic
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

Without seeing the exact setup, I'd recommend a gear puller that will slowly push it back off...
No beating required.
You may have picked up a piece of debris that has galled itself between the two parts.
Can you shine a light through to see if you can see anything obstructing the bore?
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

JimMinCT wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:56 am Without seeing the exact setup, I'd recommend a gear puller that will slowly push it back off...
No beating required.
You may have picked up a piece of debris that has galled itself between the two parts.
Can you shine a light through to see if you can see anything obstructing the bore?
My thinking as well. Like debris wedged in. Picture coming up
LXD75 GEM mount used with 90mm Meade Refractor, 102mm Celestron reflector, and a deforked Original Meade ETX Mak
Canon T1i stock
Does a kids sunglass lens count as a fancy filter? Cause I have lots of those :)
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

yobbo89 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:32 am You'll have to send a pic
Last edited by StarLord101 on Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canon T1i stock
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

[mention]StarLord101[/mention] This should help you to load images:
Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.

When you reply to a post click on the "Full Editor" button just below the "Quick Reply" area. This will give you options including adding an attachment. (scroll down to see the attachment area).
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Gordon wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:18 pm @StarLord101 This should help you to load images:
Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.

When you reply to a post click on the "Full Editor" button just below the "Quick Reply" area. This will give you options including adding an attachment. (scroll down to see the attachment area).
Thank you Gordon. I am aware about that. I had tried to share with the samsung link share feature that's included with my phone, but quickly realized it would fail and replaced them with Google drive images publicly available
Canon T1i stock
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Gordon wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:18 pm @StarLord101 This should help you to load images:
Can I post images?

Huh...I have it as a publicly viewable link without auth through google drive, and it's still showing me an icon instead. Have you guys had trouble with that? What is everyone else using seeing as I doubt everyone has their own website to host.
Canon T1i stock
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I either upload to TSS or use imgur,some others who have an account use astrobin for thier full res images.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Canon T1i stock
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

You could try putting the upper portion into hot water for a minute or so while putting ice on the lower section.
Aluminum has a massive expansion coefficient. It might be enough to let them slip by with no further damage.
Something looks to be in there. Is the tip of the lock mechanism in there?
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Use a heat gun or hair dryer on the ring and use a piece of wood to tap it down to prevent damage.
It looks like you are going to have some polishing to do afterwards.
Good luck!
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:35 pm Use a heat gun or hair dryer on the ring and use a piece of wood to tap it down to prevent damage.
It looks like you are going to have some polishing to do afterwards.
Good luck!
LOL. My thoughts exactly re: polishing. Hell.....I probably need to resurface the damn thing, but then it wouldn't make good contact with the cylinder anymore
Canon T1i stock
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

JimMinCT wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:36 pm You could try putting the upper portion into hot water for a minute or so while putting ice on the lower section.
Aluminum has a massive expansion coefficient. It might be enough to let them slip by with no further damage.
Something looks to be in there. Is the tip of the lock mechanism in there?
That is an ingenious idea!!! I mean I had already considered heat, but contrasting that further with ice is a genius idea in theory. When you say "top" and "bottom", which side are you referring to? The cylinder is sliding in the direction of the side with no grooves by the way. I agree, I have a nasty feeling I am going to find some sharp debris or something in there. When you say the tip of the lock mechanism, are you referring to the DEC lock? Because that has already been removed, and the DEC lock seemed to be working properly before, so hopefully wasn't missing anything. I did find a broken piece of metal where the cast body contacts the bearing above the drum. Here's hoping it isn't in there, because it looks like something is carving the shaft horribly if that isn't just a weld joint
Canon T1i stock
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The entire piece should be cast, no welds so if a piece has come off it may be the cause.

I had a small flake of chrome come off a counterweight shaft once and bound the threads up, it required 2 pipe wrenches to lever it apart after.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

MISSION SUCCESSFUL!! :text-thankyoublue: :dance: OR at least.....the damn drum gear FINALLY released from the shaft! very oddly, it does look almost like something was carving some of the metal out, but no debris was found. However, that last little section of the shaft where it was stuck almost looks like there is a lip. Like it's wider that the drum. Along with that, there is a shallow 360 degree groove in the drum body and various dings, chips etc... I am seriously concerned about it's ability to operate properly after it's back together....I'll post some pics of the results after cleaning them
Canon T1i stock
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Yeah that lip on the gear dosnt look too good, you could always use the clutch and rotate that bad spot to a location that dosnt get used. Did you sit the worm in it to see if it was biting on the lip of the gear, ie pinching?

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Apparently the Eq5 might have the same drum gear, aswell as the eq3, you should look into that if you need a replacement

StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:21 pm The entire piece should be cast, no welds so if a piece has come off it may be the cause.

I had a small flake of chrome come off a counterweight shaft once and bound the threads up, it required 2 pipe wrenches to lever it apart after.

That is superbly weird, because I swear I'm looking at some kind of joint . I can absolutely say there is some weird casting issues with the metal . Outside body is solid
Canon T1i stock
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If you are referring to the vertical line in picture #3, that is a mold line from the casting process.
I have a box of EQ-5 parts somewhere around and will take a look for them tomorrow night to see if I can think of any issues removing things.
I have done quite a few hyper-tune on EQ-5 mounts and have not had this issue before.