Meade ETX-LS problem

Discuss Meade mounts.
ProfRick
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Meade ETX-LS problem

Post by ProfRick »

Hi SkySearchers - I have a Meade ETX-LS that, ever since returning from Meade after it needed repair the 2nd time, continues to fail to align. I noticed the date listed in "Scope Info" is Jan. 5, 2000. To me, a telescope plebe still, it's telling me the GPS is not functioning. Without GPS, the ETX-LS is not a lot of fun. Some, but not a lot. Meade support in the previous 2 experiences was very difficult, some folks downright nasty. I've gotten better support for items that cost $30, let alone $1600.
None-the-less, if any SkySearchers out there have experience with this problem, and have any tips, I'm all ears! I have had little success with loading Software and/or Firmware, but have all the necessary cards and adapters to pull it off if needed. Oddly, Meade offers software "updates", but neglect to say what date they were issued, so I wouldn't have any idea if it was any newer than the software already loaded in ETX.
Thanks for reading this, and of course, any help would be so greatly appreciated. ProfRick
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: Meade ETX-LS problem

Post by Lady Fraktor »

There is an update that needs to be installed if the GPS is consistently showing the wrong date.
The patch should be available on the Meade website.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

ProfRick wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:53 pm Hi SkySearchers - I have a Meade ETX-LS that, ever since returning from Meade after it needed repair the 2nd time, continues to fail to align. I noticed the date listed in "Scope Info" is Jan. 5, 2000. To me, a telescope plebe still, it's telling me the GPS is not functioning. Without GPS, the ETX-LS is not a lot of fun. Some, but not a lot. Meade support in the previous 2 experiences was very difficult, some folks downright nasty. I've gotten better support for items that cost $30, let alone $1600.
None-the-less, if any SkySearchers out there have experience with this problem, and have any tips, I'm all ears! I have had little success with loading Software and/or Firmware, but have all the necessary cards and adapters to pull it off if needed. Oddly, Meade offers software "updates", but neglect to say what date they were issued, so I wouldn't have any idea if it was any newer than the software already loaded in ETX.
Thanks for reading this, and of course, any help would be so greatly appreciated. ProfRick
ProfRick you should give us more information: what model LS and how old is it. Your LS should have a Autostar III controller and no updates from Meade, for the GPS rollover problem, were made available for the Autostar III so it should not be affected by the problem. Only StarGPS makes firmware patches available for Meade telescopes that uses their GPS units but have also made no patches available for the Autostar III. You say you have had little success with software and firmware? You need to connect to your scope with a USB 2 A to B cable and Autostar 6.1 software, then click on "upgrade Autostar software now" it should then select the firmware availible for your scope. If you proceed it should download and install the firmware. I include firmware upgrade PDF:
HowToUpdateTelescopeFirmware_REV1A.pdf
(771.77 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

Thanks for the info MikeBY !

And I thought the Audiostar controller had problems with the meade Autostar software!
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

Meade_LightSwitch_primer.pdf
(826.3 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
ProfRick this PDF may be more helpful....
ProfRick
Earth Ambassador

Post by ProfRick »

Thank You Lady Fraktor, Piet Le Roux, and MikeBY. I hadn't received a reply for a number of days, and therefore haven't been back to SkySearchers for a few days. Now look! Wow, that's a lot of help and I'm so very appreciative. There's a load of stuff to go through, but it certainly gives me hope that I can get the ETX-LS to function properly. I had a notion the "Y2K" effect could be a possibility. I'm sure that it can be dealt with. Fortunately, I have a friend who does a Telescope night every Wednesday night, and we are on an island with almost no light pollution, so it's easier for me to get help with the Scope. I do have required mini-cards and reader, and have had what appeared to be success getting it to communicate with my Computer. With 7 "Gotcha's" to peruse, and all the great suggestions, I've got to take some time to make sure it doesn't "Get Me!" Thank you all so much for taking the time, and I will get back with progress reports when I make some moves.
Happy Labor Day!! ProfRick
ProfRick
Earth Ambassador

Post by ProfRick »

Hi Again - I've found a little more info on my ETX-LS. I can't say whether it's ACF or SC, or if the optic design matters. The sticker on the bottom of the scope says: Serial # 101### (6 digits) Factory Code: MX Date Code: 80409 I received it as an Xmas gift in 2009. No other model # is listed.
Also, I forgot that the telescope runs on C batteries (duh), as I've powered it with an AC Adapter since Day 1. I took out one of the cells to disable it, way back when. I was wondering if those 8 batteries supply power to internal memory, software, etc., that would have been interrupted since the day I pulled that one battery out? I'm guessing they don't, and are used for motors.
I wanted to also ask, where does the Version of current software/firmware show up on menus. I'm sure it was updated when it went to Meade in 2015.
Thanks so much! ProfRick
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

ProfRick wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:06 pm Hi Again - I've found a little more info on my ETX-LS. I can't say whether it's ACF or SC, or if the optic design matters. The sticker on the bottom of the scope says: Serial # 101### (6 digits) Factory Code: MX Date Code: 80409 I received it as an Xmas gift in 2009. No other model # is listed.
Also, I forgot that the telescope runs on C batteries (duh), as I've powered it with an AC Adapter since Day 1. I took out one of the cells to disable it, way back when. I was wondering if those 8 batteries supply power to internal memory, software, etc., that would have been interrupted since the day I pulled that one battery out? I'm guessing they don't, and are used for motors.
I wanted to also ask, where does the Version of current software/firmware show up on menus. I'm sure it was updated when it went to Meade in 2015.
Thanks so much! ProfRick
On the Autostar/Audiostar it displays during the first few seconds when it boots and in the setup menu under "statistics" With the LS it appears to be in the "scope info mode", see page 19-23 of the manual. I think the latest is 1.6E
ETX-LS_Manual.pdf
(1.82 MiB) Downloaded 255 times