Discuss Meade mounts.
graywmj5
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

LX85 fail after polemaster alignment

Post by graywmj5 »

HI all,

Last night, I did a precision polar alignment using the Polemaster camera. My mount is the Meade LX85. It is perfectly level and the Polemaster alignment worked perfectly. When I then attempted to "goto" any given star, the scope failed and did not come close. I reset the mount, and tried again. Same result. When viewing the sky through the camera, there are star trails visible on subs of just a few seconds. I have also noticed that the handset arrows do not move the scope smoothly.

The mount will also not accept commands from my PC, not matter what setting I use, even though com ports agree and mount shows to be connected.

I believe that this mount is defective, but If anyone else has had a similar experience and found the reason for these problems, I would gladly like to hear about it.

Thanks, Bill
Sea_Change
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: LX85 fail after polemaster alignment

Post by Sea_Change »

I also have an LX85. While I've never managed perfect alignment, I think that has more to do with me. I can get 30 second subs with a 600mm lens on my camera on the mount, with little to no noticable start trail.
It sounds to me like you have a defective mount...the mount head should move smooth. Contact Meade, or your sales rep....see what thwy have to say about it.
"Notebook. No photographer should be without one.” - Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” – Ansel Adams

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one." - John Lennon