Discuss iOptron mounts.
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Galvanic corrosion

Post by XCalRocketMan »

A couple of nights ago I experienced a mount failure on my iEQ30 Pro. Everything was fine for a few hours, then iOptronCommander started showing comm errors. I went outside to check on things and the display on the hand controller was showing corrupted characters. I restarted the mount and after a long time received a main board communication error displayed on the handset.

To make a long story short, I found what appeared to be (sorry, I didn't take a photo) a light grey substance covering the main board socket for the hand controller. I removed the main circuit board from the mount and found the same stuff on the RS232 connector. Cleaning it up with alcohol and q-tips solved the problem.

I'm thinking this is galvanic corrosion. I leave my mount outside covered with a telegizmo 365 cover. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? I'm now thinking I'm going to disconnect all the cables if I decide to leave the mount outside.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Galvanic corrosion

Post by Juno16 »

Glad that you got the issue worked out without experiencing too much damage Xcal.

I wonder if there is some type of non-conductive protective spray like silicon that could be sprayed on the connectors. Just a thought.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:22 am Glad that you got the issue worked out without experiencing too much damage Xcal.

I wonder if there is some type of non-conductive protective spray like silicon that could be sprayed on the connectors. Just a thought.

Thanks,
Jim
There is supposed to be a product that you can use for this purpose, but I need to do some research on it (can't remember the name) - mixed reviews on whether it helps or makes matters worse.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
Sinerjee
Earth Ambassador

Post by Sinerjee »

There’s a conformal coating that a lot of drone pilots use that protects there components from moisture. It will make the pins non conductive if you apply it to those directly but if you’re not plugging in and unplugging then you could apply it around the connector once it’s plugged in.
Scope: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ Reflector
Astromaster Lens and Filter Kit
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Corrosion-X works perfectly for protecting electronic circuits/ boards/ equipment from moisture.
I use it on y mounts and my R/C aircraft, especially my float planes.

Here is an example of how well it works :)
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/wate ... lectronics
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I've seen this on circuit boards of mass spectrometers in parts of the instrument subject to condensation from being exposed to cooling from cryogenic gas exhausts.

1. Remove the board and give the board a good scrub with a toothbrush dipped in methylated spirits(metho).
2. Rinse well with metho.
3. Dry the board thoroughly.
4. check all connectors for bent pins
5. Reinstall

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)