Discuss iOptron mounts.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

My New iOptron CEM40 EC

Post by STEVE333 »

My iOptron CEM40 EC just arrived a few days ago. I previously had an iOptron ZEQ25 mount that worked well for several years. Recently it has developed a large Dec backlash. I tried following Paul Chase's videos, but, it didn't help. So, I decided to get a better mount in hopes it would resolve the problems.

The mount has been rather intimidating to me. Many new features that I'm not familiar with, and, didn't understand. However, I'm working through things one at a time, and, am getting close to being able to try it out. Once it's all working I'll be posting a mini-Review with pictures to explain some of the new features. Just as a "teaser" the new features include iPolar which is their version of PoleMaster, and, Cable Management to reduce/eliminate the cables hanging off the telescope (which makes balancing a nightmare).

More to come.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: My New iOptron CEM40 EC

Post by Gordon »

The cable management feature should pay for itself!

I was finally able to get my cables bundled the way I like but I have my mount on a permanent enclosed pier so I can just unplug everything and leave the cabling in place.

Post some pictures when you get everything setup!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Gordon wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:59 am Post some pictures when you get everything setup!
Will do, and, thanks Gordon for the interest.

Last night turned out to be cloudy again. No break from the clouds tonight either.

However, forecast is for clear skies tomorrow night, so, maybe I'll capture first light tomorrow.

I've already taken many pictures of the setup, and, have tested all the connections (power, GPS, DSLR and Guide Camera usb connections, iPolar connection and software), so, Polar Alignment and AP image taking are all that are left. The anxiety over learning all the new features has reduced significantly, and I'm starting to get excited about the first imaging session.

I'll post a review once I have a successful imaging session (at least successful from the point of view of the mount).

More to come.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Looking forward to the review Steve, I hope it works well for you. :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

I will be presenting my Review in 2 parts. The first part is almost done and will be the setup and general observations, because, weather has not allowed for any testing of the Polar Alignment or Guiding.

Unfortunately, Flickr has been down so can't insert the images into the Review post. Everything seems to be going against this review!!!

Flickr is now back up, but, not working properly. Maybe tomorrow?

Steve