KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

CEM60 6-pole connector for focuser

Post by KathyNS »

I am thinking of wiring my focuser through the CEM60's 6-pole (telephone style) connector. Does anyone know if the wiring through the mount is a "crossover" connection or a straight-through connection?

The cable that came with the focuser is a crossover cable. So the second cable (mount to motor) would have to be a straight-through cable if the mount is wired as straight-through, or a crossover if the mount is wired as crossover, in order to preserve the polarity of the cable.

Or does it even matter? Would the motor work okay with the cable polarity reversed? Would I just need to reverse the motor directions in the software? I don't want to take a chance on burning out the focuser.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: CEM60 6-pole connector for focuser

Post by KathyNS »

Never mind. I found info at Rigel that suggests the polarity does matter. I found a straight-through cable and ordered it, so problem solved.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: CEM60 6-pole connector for focuser

Post by STEVE333 »

Kathy - I think you should trust the first response. That lady sounds like she knows what she is talking about! (Chuckles)

PS: Like your new avatar. Sharp outfit.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures