iOptron CEM40

Discuss iOptron mounts.
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

iOptron CEM40

Post by Voyageur »

Do any of you have this *quite new* mount? It was introduced at NEAF a month or so ago, and is now on backorder at all iOptron retailers. I have asked two retailers, by email, what the status of these mounts is and how one would back order one, if one wanted to, and nobody has replied. Perhaps there is a huge interest and they don't want anyone else on the list because they know they are not going to be able to fulfill existing backorders for a long time. Who knows?

I don't know for sure that I want one, but would like to learn more about it. A strong appeal for me is the relative light weight of the mount for its stated load capacity. This may be the year I get started with AP; I've been researching and reading and thinking for almost 3 years. Had fun with phone photos this winter, and think I might want to dip another toe into the muck.

I also like the looks of it. ;)
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: iOptron CEM40

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi Voyageur - I have just received my CEM40 EC and am in the process of getting it "setup" (Zero marks, etc.). I purchased mine from Woodland Hills Camera & Telescope at www.Telescopes.net . I have found them easy to work with and knowledgeable. Unfortunately the power supply just died, so, dead in the water till I get a replacement. I will post a mini-review when it is up and running in this sub-forum. I will say I'm excited about their cable handling features which allow the cables to go down through the center of the mount under the dovetail slide. Should make balancing easier. We shall see!

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

Thanks, Steve! I eagerly await your review. Sorry about your power supply.
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Just a quick update.

A new power supply just arrived today and works fine. No charge of course.
When I tried to connect to the mount's iPolar system (their version of Pole Master, but, easier and faster to use than Pole Master) with my older laptop which I use to control the DSLR camera as well as the guiding with an Orion MMAG guide system and PHD2, it didn't work. At first I thought it was iPolar, but, it turned out to be my "flaky" older laptop. Just purchased a used laptop and now the connection works fine.

Can't try anything out because, of course, the rain arrived within a day of when the UPS truck delivered the new mount.

More to come.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Just FYI - The first part of the review is now posted.

Steve