I-Optron CEM 120 EC2

Discuss iOptron mounts.
starman Great Britain
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

I-Optron CEM 120 EC2

Post by starman »

Hi there everybody :) I am considering buying the above mount but everybody, including some dealers have suggested just buying the bog standard CEM 120 because it guides so well, if thats the case why have I-Optron bothered making the 2 additional versions with 1 shaft encoder and 2 shaft encoders, am I missing something here ?

Carl.
515bonner United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: I-Optron CEM 120 EC2

Post by 515bonner »

From what I understand, and this is only from reading others comments on other forums and such....
ALL of ioptron mounts that use encoders are a crap shoot as far as a problem free mount. I myself don't understand the problem.
I have the CEM40 standard. Those that have had the CEM40 with encoders .... some swear BY them, some swear AT them.
I have had zero problems with my CEM40 and it tracks VERY WELL without encoders.
There is a comment by user "Jared", that defines why/why not encoders located here:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7070 ... s-gem45ec/

Rob
14.5" f/5.3 Starmaster with Sky Commander XP4 | 9.25" Celestron SCT | 8" f/7 Starmaster (only 5 made) with Sky Commander V3
6" f/12 Orion 150mm Mak | 4" f/9 Celestron Refractor (Vixen) | 80mm f4 unbranded refractor
iOptron CEM40 | iOptron Cube Pro
Large Assortment of Nagler and Konig Eyepieces | ZWO ASI290MC & ZWO ASI120MM-s Cameras

Member of the Astronomical Society of Kansas City / Astronomical League
Member of the British Astronomical Association
V.P. of Occultation Services, International Occultation Timing Association
515bonner United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 515bonner »

As an addition to my last post, if you belong to any of the groups.io forums, there is an ioptron forum located at:
https://groups.io/g/iOptron
There are many posts regarding the encoder versions of the CEM40/60/120 where members discuss their experiences with the EC versions of the mounts.

Rob
14.5" f/5.3 Starmaster with Sky Commander XP4 | 9.25" Celestron SCT | 8" f/7 Starmaster (only 5 made) with Sky Commander V3
6" f/12 Orion 150mm Mak | 4" f/9 Celestron Refractor (Vixen) | 80mm f4 unbranded refractor
iOptron CEM40 | iOptron Cube Pro
Large Assortment of Nagler and Konig Eyepieces | ZWO ASI290MC & ZWO ASI120MM-s Cameras

Member of the Astronomical Society of Kansas City / Astronomical League
Member of the British Astronomical Association
V.P. of Occultation Services, International Occultation Timing Association
starman Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by starman »

Cheers Rob :)
mbenjaminz28 Canada
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbenjaminz28 »

I have a standard CEM120 bought new in 2017, still going strong, no issues at all. My heaviest ota is the Meade 12" with the Sbig STT3200 setup, moves it like nothing. I wanted a EC version at the time but didn't have the extra cash, now after reading some negative reports of the EC versions I am glad mines the plain jane version.Some people have suspected Ioptron puts their best worm gears in the non EC models and their worst in the EC versions, the thinking is that the encoders will overcome the sloppy tolerances, true?
William optics flt 132, WO 0.72 reducer, Sbig Aluma U694/FW8G/AO-8a, 36mm LRGB 3nm Ha Oiii Sii, Cem120 non ec, Celestron CGX, Meade 12"F8 ota, Meade 70mm astrograph, Meade 6sn, TSflat2
starman Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by starman »

cheers :)