iOptron AZ Mount Pro First light

Discuss iOptron mounts.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

iOptron AZ Mount Pro First light

Post by Bigzmey »

07/19/21

I have been using for years and very happy with Sky Watcher SkyTee 2 manual AltAz mount. I wanted to get similar dual mount setup with GoTo capabilities to carry my scopes at home, where light pollution makes star-hopping slow and painful. I did the research and selected iOptron AZ Mount Pro.

There is a lot to like about AZMP: my favorite side by side AltAz design; 33 lb main and 10 lb second scope capacity (perfect for my scopes), chargeable battery, no wires clutter, and finally ability to run it from Sky Safari on my phone. The problem was that like many items it has been out of stock for a long time. Luckily, gently used mount came out for sale on Astromart. Week later I am a happy owner of iOptron AZ Mount Pro! :D

Like most of astro equipment it comes with some quirks and oversights. But for most, solutions have been already reported. So, I have picked strap wrench to tighten the counterweight shaft clutch and ordered ADM saddle to prevent slippage of the second scope. Another week and I am ready for the first light.

It took me several sessions to sorted out issues with my first GoTo mount – SW AzGti, so I was pleasantly surprised that I got this one running under two hours. The mount is very quiet, stable and has pretty good tracking and GoTo. I have managed to align two scopes nicely, and GoTo places targets within FOV of both scopes. I have observed the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn and tried a few stars to confirm GoTo accuracy. It operates nicely from SkySafari app to.

I would like to get feedback from AZMP owners on a couple of minor issues. Mount zero position is described as the mount facing south with scopes aimed up. Mine does faces roughly south and up, but not 90 degrees up, more like 87 degrees. Should I strive for better accuracy (using compass and level) or that’s good enough?

Another issue is when I turn off and back on power the mount forgets WiFi setting. The funny thing is that it actually forgets factory default settings. So, after turning on I need to populate IP address by ‘restore factory default’. Once again minor thing but I would like to resolve it.

I will play and investigate more but it is already functional enough to start observing. However, I still have to pay the clouds dues. Was lucky to get a bit of clear sky for testing, after that it clouds every night and I just got weather alert for thunderstorms and hail. :lol:

Was too exited and busy to take a shot of the setup in action. Here is a pic of the mount resting in the basement.
AZMP.jpg
Last edited by Bigzmey on Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
SpyderwerX
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: iOptron AZ Mount Pro First light

Post by SpyderwerX »

Very nice! Congrats!

I've looked at those before myself. Glad to see your results and opinions. I'll definitely be following along on your journey with this one. I may just have to take one for a spin also.

And you are correct...everyone is "out of stock" on everything now. :)
~Frankie~ My mind: Always on...Slightly off. :?
Celestron CPC1100 SCT....Celestron Evolution 8 SCT...TeleVue-85 apo...SkyWatcher ST150 achro..ST102 achro..ST80 achro.
Celestron AVX...Orion Atlas EQ-G...SkyTee-2...Twilight-1.
Baader BBHS prism and mirror diagonals + Vernonscope quartz 1.25"
EPs: TeleVue oldie (NJ) & modern Plossls, Widefields, and Naglers + 3-6 zoom & Brandons 6-32.
Astronomik, Lumicon & Baader filters..
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Surprised that it can handle a telescope as long as the 152mm APM. Congrats
Attachments
apm.PNG

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks Frankie and RD! In the first round I have tried it with 8" SCT (13lb) on the main saddle and SV 102mm (9 lb) on the other side. The mount handles it like nothing. I will do a session or two with this setup and than will try 9.25" Edge SCT (21 lb) on the main saddle. This is what I am aiming for: 4" ED frac on one side and 9.25" Edge on the other - killer doubles/planetary/lunar setup. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
SpyderwerX
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by SpyderwerX »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:13 pm Thanks Frankie and RD! In the first round I have tried it with 8" SCT (13lb) on the main saddle and SV 102mm (9 lb) on the other side. The mount handles it like nothing. I will do a session or two with this setup and than will try 9.25" Edge SCT (21 lb) on the main saddle. This is what I am aiming for: 4" ED frac on one side and 9.25" Edge on the other - killer doubles/planetary/lunar setup. :D
That would indeed be a "dynamic duo". :)
~Frankie~ My mind: Always on...Slightly off. :?
Celestron CPC1100 SCT....Celestron Evolution 8 SCT...TeleVue-85 apo...SkyWatcher ST150 achro..ST102 achro..ST80 achro.
Celestron AVX...Orion Atlas EQ-G...SkyTee-2...Twilight-1.
Baader BBHS prism and mirror diagonals + Vernonscope quartz 1.25"
EPs: TeleVue oldie (NJ) & modern Plossls, Widefields, and Naglers + 3-6 zoom & Brandons 6-32.
Astronomik, Lumicon & Baader filters..
BaloSurf
Earth Ambassador

Post by BaloSurf »

I too also was using a strap wrench, but found it not adequate enough to get things tight for zero slippage. Here is what I did, and is in an earlier post from me. viewtopic.php?f=45&t=18526&sid=62593a2a ... 5db43b7466

I've found that LEVELING is the most important thing to do. I've found it does not matter if the mount is facing south when you start up. Scope pointed straight up is good idea, but does not need to be perfectly vertical at all. I have set up with AZMP (after LEVELING as precise as possible) and just turning it on gets mount set up very well and after alignment on a star that tracking is great. I use a digital leveling device that is very accurate.

I usually have a Meade LX200 ACF 8" on the primary side, and a AstroTech 72mm refractor with a Nikon D750 on secondary side, and sometimes the Nikon D750 with wide angle lenses. I have made a chart of accurate weights of all my stuff and correct distance from center of mount according to torque values. Balance on the ALT and AZ side is important. Does not need to be exact, but as close as possible makes for fantastic tracking.

Although the AZMP is not a astrophotography platform, it is useable. I also have an iOptron CEM40EC2 that I use for astrophotography, but typically use my AZMP as it is SO easy to set up.

Again - accurate as possible LEVELING is the key.

I've attached a photo shot with the AZMP with the AstroTeck 72mm refractor, Nikon D750, ISO 6400, 30 sec exposure, OptoLong eNhance filter. It is a single frame, so no stacking. Stacking is a problem with the AZMP images due to rotation of ALT/AZ compared to using a equatorial mount like the CEM40EC. However, you can stack if only shooting with lenses less than 200mm, with wide angle lenses making stacking doable. Always SYNC TO Target for each object which increases tracking accuracy, etc.
Attachments
LAGOON TRIFID_DSC_4842 copy_SM.jpg

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks BaloSurf! For now strap wrench works fine, but I will keep your mods in mind.

Did you ever encounter issue with the mount forgetting WiFi setting every time you turn it off?

BaloSurf
Earth Ambassador

Post by BaloSurf »

I have only tried to connect via WIFI once, and it did not work. Spent about a half hour or so playing around with the WIFI, and could not get it to work. Hopefully I will get it to work in the near future. I reached out to iOptron Tech and that did not help.
delgado39
Earth Ambassador

Post by delgado39 »

You may need to send in your control board to IOptron. My WIFI didn’t work and they had me send my control board in. They discovered the WIFI module didn’t work and a new module replacement on the board didn’t work either. Ended up getting an entirely new board $200. They wanted to send the old board to the factory for analysis and possible discount; but I didn’t want to wait longer. Not the best experience but everything works great now. Sometimes things don’t work out buying used. But overall, it’s a great way to save.

Clear Skies, Reuben
Scopes: TAK128, C9.25, 10" Teeter Dob
Mounts: CGEM, AZ PRO, DSV3
Mike Q United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

So now that you have jad this mount for awhile how is it working for you
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Mike Q wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:14 pm So now that you have jad this mount for awhile how is it working for you
Overall, I believe I made the right choice. There is plenty to like. It is lightweight for the capacity, easy to setup and align, capable of carrying two scopes. I typically run 7" Mak or 8" SCT on one side and 4" frac on another. Quite stable, quite accurate GoTo and tracking (as far as AltAz mounts go). No wires, since there is an internal battery which lasts for a few hours, and I control it from SkySafari on my phone.

The mount has a few quirks though. In my experience all mounts do. But it serves the purpose and I quite satisfied with it.

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

I have one on order thru Astronomics, but it will be a couple of weeks till they get it and ship it, at least they think it will be a couple of weeks. I have a AT 102EDL coming tomorrow and that is the mount i decided to go with.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Mike Q wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:07 am I have one on order thru Astronomics, but it will be a couple of weeks till they get it and ship it, at least they think it will be a couple of weeks. I have a AT 102EDL coming tomorrow and that is the mount i decided to go with.
Congrats Mike! This is a great mount. It will do a fine job caring AT 102EDL. Since COVID they are hard to find in stock. I got mine used, since at that time they had no idea when the AZMP will be back it stock.

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

We needed a travel scope and a go to mount. Since I don't have any intentions of doing AP an alt az seemed to be the best option. The iOptron filled the bill at least on paper. If it doesnt appear to be available in a reasonable time i may have to consider a different option.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

If I'm reading Adorama's ad correctly, they currently have some...

https://www.adorama.com/at8920.html?gad ... gle-shop-p
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I was looking at the specs yesterday. I'm thinking it might be nice to have tracking - don't care much about the goto right now - and the EQs I've been looking at are either very expensive or have mediocre reviews, especially unusable setting circles.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I've been eyeing this mount for a while Bigz.
I have a Nexstar, but without a tilted arm it won't hold my refractor correctly.

Keep us updated on your experience with it :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

JayTee wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:03 am If I'm reading Adorama's ad correctly, they currently have some...

https://www.adorama.com/at8920.html?gad ... gle-shop-p
The one in your link is the mount only. I recommend to get the package with the tripod which is iOptron compatible. This is the configuration that I have.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... TgQAvD_BwE

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:25 pm I was looking at the specs yesterday. I'm thinking it might be nice to have tracking - don't care much about the goto right now - and the EQs I've been looking at are either very expensive or have mediocre reviews, especially unusable setting circles.
Olen, you like small fracs. For that I would actually recommend to get SW AzGti. With beefier tripod it handles fracs upto 100mm wonderfully. I have adapted tripod from ES T1, but I have also used heavy duty photo tripods with success.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... g4QAvD_BwE

The only reason I got iOptron AZMP was to support my large CATs. :)

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

I ended up getting mine from B+H photo. It arrived last week. Since i am an dob reflector kinda of guy this tripod stuff is kind of new to me. My initial thoughts .... Things are bigger in real life then on the screen. The tripod probably isnt the heaviest tripod out there, but it seems to get the job done. I can say i am not a fan of the levers they use to tighten the legs as i prefer knobs, but they seem to work. I think the 3 adjustable knobs for leveling is an interesting idea and it is a bit of a learning curve but i am getting the hang of it. The mount itself is definitely beefy and it holds my frac in its heaviest configuration easily. I push the counterweight arm out but it doesnt need any weight. The alt lock does require a bit more force to tighten down then one would think but it does its job. I have used it once so far. The first time it went to Jupiter and it put it outside the FOV of a 26mm eyepiece, once it was centered and synced everything else landed nicely inside a 14/82 eyepiece. There is a bit of vibration coming from somewhere and i probably dont have something tightened up enough. All in all i am happy with the set up.
Last edited by Mike Q on Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL