Discuss Explore Scientific mounts.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

I Almost dropped my Scope

Post by helicon »

I had some trouble the other day inserting my AR152's dovetail into my Twilight II. For some reason the clamp would not hold and since I was holding the scope with one hand and the locking knob with the other hand I started panicking when the scope began to slip. I almost dropped it, which would have been a disaster. Then I moved the OTA to the other side of the Twilight II and was able to get the alternate knob to lock.

Pheww! Keep in mind that this procedure is easier with two people.

:Astronomer1:
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: I Almost dropped my Scope

Post by Shabadoo »

Scarey, Enough to sit for 10 and count your blessings until the heart rate slows back down.
Good save!
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

That will get the blood pumping!
Watched in horror once as my diagonal rotated in slow motion toward 180° South before the EP had been secured.
Saved the EP 1/2 way to the ground, this happened over concrete. Wonder what a fitbit would have shown for a spike?

Praise be you prevented disaster.
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Good thing you caught it! It happened to me one time too, with my G11 and the Mak-Newt. I actually dropped it, then I caught it right before it was going to hit the ground.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Micke187 Sweden
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Micke187 »

just as i me when i thought i would drop my ccd on the floor. Lucky enough the focuser got a little stopp that prevents that to happen. but at the time i forgot that it existed so my hearthrate went to 200 in a second it feelt like. Somehow something in the focuser got loose and drawtube just slipped out with a thump.
TS-optics photoline 115mm triplet + 1.0x flattener
Guiding: qhy5lll APM 50mm guidescope
Main camera: ASI1600MM pro +Starlight xpress filterwheel (Ha,OIII, SII ,LRGB baader filter)
Mount: heq5 Rowan mod
Zwo EAF focuser
Programs: APT, DSS, PIxinsight, Nebulosity3, Phd2, CDC Eqmod
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Mishaps happen to us all eventually, luckily you realized it was not locked in before moving away at least!

I have had my 150mm f/8 fall before but managed to save it before it hit the ground.
During a viewing session I borrowed a friends TV Ethos and a few minutes later had it turn into a pendulum as the weight unscrewed the nosepiece of the diagonal.
Luckily there was enough threads left to keep it from releasing completely.
Blue locktite is great stuff :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
goldstar
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by goldstar »

Phew!
Nothing worse than an unscheduled laundering of underwear.... :P
Oh lucky man!
Scopes: 200mm f6 DOB:CR 6 150 mm f 7.5 refractor, SW ED 80 mm f 7.5. 2 X 80 mm f7.5 guides.
Mount: AVX.
NexGuide auto guider. Cameras 3 Ti and XS modded. I optron Skytracker.
Motley EP collection.
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

SKEtrip wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:12 pm That will get the blood pumping!
Watched in horror once as my diagonal rotated in slow motion toward 180° South before the EP had been secured.
Saved the EP 1/2 way to the ground, this happened over concrete. Wonder what a fitbit would have shown for a spike?

Praise be you prevented disaster.
My heart started pounding, kind of like fight-or-flight syndrome.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

There's nothing worse than having the 'dropsies'.

I've had a couple of close calls.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Sheesh! That will make you terribly alert! Glad you avoided a catastrophe, Michael!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Yes, Murphy is omnipresent.
Luckely you were able to prevent disaster, I hope the handlebar saved the operation?
I have seen my share: eyepieces slipping out of their holder or falling from my hand, shattered diagonal etc. A friend of mine saw his 130mm ED Vixen actually "jump" out of the holder while observing. Strangely enough the tube was severely damaged, but not the lens.
You crawled through the eye of the needle. Glad you did.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Michael,

So glad you averted this disaster. It has happened to me once and it was almost as bad as my divorce in the heartache that I felt.

I know that if this were happening to me, while it was slipping, I would have been dropping the f-bomb at least a half a dozen times. and then after I secured it to the other side of the mount and was able to sit down, I'd have dropped the f-bomb again another half dozen times.

BTW, what the heck were you doing lifting the 152 by yourself?

This could cause traumatic stress,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

SKEtrip wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:12 pm Watched in horror once as my diagonal rotated in slow motion toward 180° South before the EP had been secured.

Been there, done that.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello Michael,

very good it did not happen!
That's the reason why I am using my own (safe) way of mounting the gear, and why I have recently replaced the old Cullmann Titan CT200 tripod with a more robust Cullmann Titan CT 300. And the scope is rapid deployable, click-lock, click-lock, ...,
as the Cullmann system is click-lock, and robust like a tactical gear, but still light-weight.

Some sunshine needed to take pics and to post them here,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Yep I dropped my 130 APO triplet one time. Slid right out of the dove tail and hit the ground. Had a laser finder on it at the time and that took the brunt of the blow and was ruined. The scope was okay. Fortunatly it was on soft ground / grass.

But I swear it all happened in slow motion and seemed like it to 30 seconds to hit the ground while I cringed.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:07 pm
SKEtrip wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:12 pm Watched in horror once as my diagonal rotated in slow motion toward 180° South before the EP had been secured.

Been there, done that.
Welcome to the "hands" team, NFL receivers got nothing on us.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0a ... f-All-time

My save looked like #7
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Avoiding dropping the thing was like catching an onside kick in football.
-Michael
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi all. Count me in too. When I was assembling my XT12i telescope. the primary mirror in it's cell was heavier than I thought. It slipped through my hands, and like the other horrific stories on here, I caught it before it hit the floor. This was the most expensive assembly part of this telescope. I cleaned the finger prints off of the mirror and finally got it installed into the tube. This was a "heart attack city" for me. But, thank goodness it all ended well. Thanks for your other scary stories on here folks, as it makes me fell not so alone in this dilemma. :whistle:
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

First, just to say, I had the same experience with my ES-102. Setting it up for the first time, I turned it to vertical and it slid into my hand. It is tight now.

But, also, way back when The Sky Searchers was in its previous incarnation, I read a story about someone who lost his telescope because he thought that he was adjust altitude or azimuth and came out of the cradle and hit the deck. The problem is that the control knobs are the same. It was a known problem in private aviation long ago. So, I made this modification to my Celestron 130-EQ.
Second Fix4.JPG
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

Did it happen just the other day? sorry, couldn't pass it up :)

Glad to hear you caught it. Sad to say that fluttery OMG! feeling afterwards is all too familiar.
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!