Twilight 1 mount question

Discuss Explore Scientific mounts.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Twilight 1 mount question

Post by Ylem »

I just ordered one for grab n go C6 viewing :)
Seems like it's a halfway decent mount,
at least I will be able to use the finder bracket, unlike with the Porta Mount and the focuser will be at the bottom instead of behind the EP.

Just wanted some thoughts on it, and curious if it would even hold my C8 for low power usage ;)

Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Twilight 1 mount question

Post by AntennaGuy »

I have a C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 and it works pretty well. I had to adjust it carefully to get the right tension in the azimuthal axis; it was too wobbly initially. The arm on the mount has a couple possible positions, but I found that vertical worked out best. You have to shift the telescope quite a bit up in the shoe if you want to be able to aim at zenith and not bump the diagonal on the mount, but it can be done. I haven't tried a C8 in this mount, but TSS member Bigzmey (Andrey) has. See his setup at: app.php/gallery/image/1648
Oh, I found that using these vibration dampers on the feet helped: https://optcorp.com/products/celestron- ... ssion-pads
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

This is a nice mount, congrats! As AntennaGuy mentioned I have been using it with 8" SCT for years. It handles C8 well. I also discovered that the vertical mount position is the most stable. I get enough clearance with SCT 2" diagonal or T2/1.25" diagonal to point scope up.

I also wrap bungee cords around the arm to dampen the vibrations. This way the die fast even at 300x.
C8-2016a.jpg
C8-2016c.jpg
C8-2016b.jpg
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

As AtennaGuy mentioned vibration pads seems to help when I observe from patio. On solid ground I don't see much difference.

I use Solomark pads from Amazon

Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Thanks all!
Encouraging responses :)
While it's for the C6 it's nice to know with some mods the C8 may tolerate it.

I have a spare tripod from a CG5, maybe I could put the head on that if possible ;)
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I haven't used the Twilight I - I have a Twilight II which can handle two scopes. So far it has worked great for my AR 152.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

My one and only mount since I got back into the hobby has been a TW1. IMO it's an ok mount, but not a great mount. Love the slo-mo but the cables can get in the way or drop off when they loosen up. No big deal though.

It handles my ST80 and 90mm Mak pretty well. Having a Crayford on the 80 really reduces vibrations when focusing. Otherwise, it takes a couple of seconds. It also handles my ST120 (about 12 pounds loaded) tolerably well.

I put my old C8 OTA on it just to see how it would handle the load and it was right at the hairy edge IMO. I did not have the DIY arm plate on it yet and I've not tried the bungee cord trick. I don't think the wooden arm plate really makes much difference, but it's on and I'm not going to bother taking it off.

It is pretty good for grab-n-go, but I put the head on a Manfrotto pod and that made even more portable. The stock pod is kinda unwieldy to break down and transport. You can adjust the angle of the arm so reaching zenith is doable if needed.

All things considered, it's a decent mount for the price and I think it should handle your C6 without problems. YMMV.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Well, almost right after I ordered it my boss lays me off!
I was able to cancel my order, while I have the money, just lost my spirits for something new.

So with time on my hands I will attempt to refurbish my older Porta Mount ll.

I most likely will start a new thread on that ;)
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Ylem wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:38 pm Well, almost right after I ordered it my boss lays me off!
I was able to cancel my order, while I have the money, just lost my spirits for something new.

So with time on my hands I will attempt to refurbish my older Porta Mount ll.

I most likely will start a new thread on that ;)
Bummer! I hope you will find new job soon. I believe Porta II mount itself is similar in load capacity and performance to TW 1. TW1 has sturdier tripod and ability to change the angle and switch the arm from left to right.

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

The last review I read on the P2 vs TW1 was that the P2 head is better (steadier due to the shorter arm and can handle a bit more weight, I think) than the ES while the TW1 tripod is steadier and more robust than the Vixen. So a Frankenmount might be the best set-up. Of course reviews are usually pretty subjective so take it with a grain of salt.

Funny to see this now since I was just mulling over getting a P2 head and maybe selling my TW1 head. But I put encoders on my TW1 and I'm not sure I could move them to a P2 even though they look very similar. Not sure i want to invest in another set of encoders right now.

Sorry to hear about the job loss.

Addendum: Found this in my archives
TW vs Porta 2.gif
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
s2mikey United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by s2mikey »

Ive done a few small mods to ine like the bitch wood arm plate and I bought a better clamp too. Its a decent mount for my 102mm ES triplet but at higher powers there is some settle time that Id like to avoid. Its probably a perfect mount for 80mm to 90mm scopes and perhaps some smaller SCTs but for a 4" triplet Im probably asking slightly too much from it. Its what I have now though so it will have to do. Eventually Ill probably upgrade to maybe a Stellarvue M2 or something just a tad beefier. Overall it is a solid mount though. I do use it and have productive viewing sessions with it. :)
ES 102mm Triplet
Baader Morphies, Televue Deloses & a few other EPs
Modified Twilight 1 Mount
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

I bought a Twilight I (used refurbished with warranty) as soon as I could afford the upgrade from the First Light that my 102-mm came with. I have used it with heavier telescope (115-mm Astrotech APO) but it was not satisfactory and I bought a Celestron AVX go-to mount and tripod for that.

I only do observation, not photography, so I am not finicky about a little wobble, but the TW-1 is very steady with the 102-mm First Light.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial