Calibrate Mount...

Discuss Celestron mounts.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Calibrate Mount...

Post by UlteriorModem »

Evidently for the CGX versions there is a "Calibrate Mount" routine in the hand controller. It can calibrate RA offset for minor index errors, and the 'goto' calibration which deals with slew times and approach's.

The instructions give an overview of what it does, but not so much on the procedure!

I did a brief search on the interwebs, found a few discussions about "yea I've done it' but not much on how.

Has anyone done this. could you clear it up for me?
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Calibrate Mount...

Post by JayTee »

Which subroutine are you using the RA Switch or RA Index Calibration, or the GoTo Calibration?

I do a "goto calibration" after my two-star align every time I setup. For the following reasons: GoTo Calibration does just what the name says: it changes the final motions of a GoTo to compensate for imbalances cause by any heavy accessories attached to the scope to keep GoTo times short. It should be used whenever you are reconfiguring your scope and cameras, heavy binoviewers, guide scopes, etc. It is also remembered by your mount’s hand control.

If you are doing the RA switch/index calibration here is what it does: RA Switch corrects for any error in the placement of index marks (Advanced VX, GT or CG-5, CGEM) on the mount housing. Or the position of the RA index switch inside the mount (CGE or CGE Pro). This will help the mount to more accurately find the two stars it uses for sky alignment when starting up an observing session.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

UlteriorModem wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:22 pm Evidently for the CGX versions there is a "Calibrate Mount" routine in the hand controller. It can calibrate RA offset for minor index errors, and the 'goto' calibration which deals with slew times and approach's.

The instructions give an overview of what it does, but not so much on the procedure!

I did a brief search on the interwebs, found a few discussions about "yea I've done it' but not much on how.

Has anyone done this. could you clear it up for me?
Hi, Tom
I know I'm a little late to this party. Did you ever attempt a "Calibrate Mount" Operation? I just got aCGX to go with a C11 I found a deal on. I've got it and my 80mm WO f6.9 Apograde Sentinel on an ADM Side-by-Side bar. I figure with the added weight (I'M running 39LBs of counterweight) i need to run the calibrate routine to compensate.

Patrick (GCG)
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Wow late to the party indeed! I had forgotten all about this. So the answer is no, I never did it. Probably have only had like 2 clear nights since the OP and it had totally slipped my mind.

Hasn't really been an issue and I cant even remember why I posted this :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

It's been a Cloud fest here,too. I'may give routines a look-see.

BTW AscomGPS works with the Nextstar+ as long as you connect via the HC and use the Celestron Ascom Mount driver (not Ascom CPWI. I updated my firmware and need to re enter date and loc. AscomGPS took both from an attachehed Ublox7 USBGPS dongle and set the values in the HC.

FYI.

Patrick
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

Hey Tom, I’m not trying to highjack your post and I don’t know if you received my PM. I just ordered a new CGX-L and it’s being delivered tomorrow!! I was wondering how you like your CGX....both pros and cons? Also, even with my CGEM-DX, I could never figure out that Mount Calibration function....even after 8 years of use!! Let me know what you think of the CGX!!!
Thanks 🙏🏻!!
Tom
Scopes:TeleVue NP127is, TeleVue TV-85, Celestron C8 EdgeHD
Mount:Celestron CGEM-DX Hypertuned, CGX-L
Cameras: ASI6200MM/7POS 2”FW,QHY16200A, QHY9M, QHY10 OSC, Canon 60Da, QHY5LII, QHY PoleMaster
Guider:Orion 60mm Deluxe/ZWOASI120MC
Filters: Astrodon LRGB Gen2, Astrodon UV/IR Cut, Astrodon 3nmOIII, Astrodon 3nmSII, Baader 3.5nmHA, Baader 7nmHA
Software:MaximDL6, APT, Pixinsight, Photoshop CS5
Remote Sites: Deep Sky West-Chile, Telescope Live Australia, Chile, Spain
Cats:Pugsley, Tiggy, Panda
Dog:Noell
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I have the XL too.

It's a great mount. It's alot to move around if you need to. Good thing is you can put almost anything on it. I have used it with a 10" RC that is 35lbs just for the scope!

There was some weirdness with the belt drives wandering over the cog gears. The belt would end up hanging off the cog by a mm or 2. The 'fix' was to shim the drive motor. I think they were not quite lined up (The cog on the motor. and the cog on the drive).

I 'think' this issue has been addressed since I got mine. Got mine in like the first production run.

Another goofy early release thing was that the firmware did not report "side of pier" which made automated meridian flips impossible. They patched it quickly though. Probably most 'new' units have already been updated. But just a heads up on that.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

Hey Tom, I got my CGX-L today...all put together except for putting the scopes on...gonna wait for Patty to get home....don’t want to drop the NP127 or the TV-85....would be the ULTIMATE BUMMER!!!! I was wondering, when you got yours, was the Dec really stiff? I’m used to that hypertuned CGEM-DX.
Just Wondering!
Tom
Cameras: ASI6200MM/7POS 2”FW,QHY16200A, QHY9M, QHY10 OSC, Canon 60Da, QHY5LII, QHY PoleMaster
Filters: Astrodon LRGB Gen2, Astrodon UV/IR Cut, Astrodon 3nmOIII, Astrodon 3nmSII, Baader 3.5nmHA, Baader 7nmHA
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

Sorry Tom....meant RA!
Thanks 🙏🏻!!
Tom
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

You mean with the clutches off? No not that I remember.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

UlteriorModem wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:11 am You mean with the clutches off? No not that I remember.
Hey Tom, I got the scopes mounted and did a very quick balance Friday, had cables hanging everywhere but it guided at RMS0.10 to 0.12... worked well but it’s a lot stiffer than by hypertuned CGEM-DX! Maybe as I get it balanced better and the cables arranged and I use it more it’ll loosen up some.
Thanks 🙏🏻!!
Tom
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

Thought I’d send you a picture of the new rig.
[attachment=0]6B75D878-27F9-478F-8475-43A6BBE599AC.jpeg[/attachment
Don’t know why it’s sideways!!
Attachments
6B75D878-27F9-478F-8475-43A6BBE599AC.jpeg
6B75D878-27F9-478F-8475-43A6BBE599AC.jpeg (35.19 KiB) Viewed 14710 times
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Congrats Tom!

I had RA bind up one time with my AVX and ended up having to send it to Celestron. You may want to check into this before it totally freezes and can't be moved no matter what. I never found out what the issue was but their support was fair and it worked again.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:40 am Congrats Tom!

I had RA bind up one time with my AVX and ended up having to send it to Celestron. You may want to check into this before it totally freezes and can't be moved no matter what. I never found out what the issue was but their support was fair and it worked again.
Thanks Henk!! It seems to be working okay tonight....I’m having a hell of a time getting the home position to save!!
Let You Know!
Tom
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Hey ! Yours has wheels!

"Having a hard time getting to home position" ? In what way?

There is some internal cabling that runs through the mount's axis, I hope those aren't binding up on you.

On mine when the clutches are released it is quite a free motion. When balanced a slight nudge with a fingertip will move it.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

Wow Tom, I was on the phone with Isaac at High Point today for an hour and a half trying to get the CFM to load the right firmware into my mount.....finally got the RA and DEC switch errors to go away. Thought everything was going to go well....but turned on the mount tonight and it would not do any kind of alignment! I tried running the CFM again, for the 20th time, still nothing!! Just for the heck of it I plugged in my old hand controller from my CGEM-DX and it worked!! The go to’s were way off but I eyeballed the first 2 alignment stars and the first calibration star and after that everything was right on!! Guessing that they need to send me a new hand controller....the new one didn’t have home position in utilities or internal clock on-off. IT’s CRAZY!!
Tom
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Yea if you follow the manual for the update your screwed believe it or not.

I made a post on the old forums on the proper procedure but cant seem to access it now. "Database error" believe it or not.

I cant remember the exact procedure but it involved doing one part first without the hand controller being connected to the mount. Its been a long time though.

I will see if I can find that post but dont hold your breath.

Oh... hey! Found it easy! Read the second post from me for the 'correct' procedure!

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5902 ... bly-wrong/
Tom

Current Equipment:
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

Thanks 🙏🏻 Tom for the link!! It’s gonna be thunderstorms ⛈ tonight so I can’t put it through it’s paces. If everything works I’ll be afraid to try to reprogram anything!! Just keeping my fingers crossed 🤞!!
Thanks Again!!
Tom
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Absolutely, if it is working don't fix it!

Good luck.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

BTW...Did you ever figure out how to calibrate the Mount??? That damn manual is worthless!!! I did get a polar alignment and a calibration done before some fluffy clouds moved in.....everything went smoothly....now if these clouds would move out I’m gonna try to get some HA on IC1396.....fingers crossed 🤞!
Tom