Discuss Celestron mounts.
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Stop moving Dammit 3

Post by Astroglide65 »

Hello everybody,
Last night was the first night in a week or so I could get out. Set up all went fine, did everything like always and the mount went whacko again, kept slewing even though it should have been on target. Tried the tip I had been given, go to Tracking in the menu, turn off tracking, go back to Eq-North turn back on. Several times but didn't work. Soooooooo, tonight it's a fresh charged power pack. The 5 amp power cable will be here tomorrow. Let's see if that helps!

Dano
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Stop moving Dammit 3

Post by bladekeeper »

And you have done a factory reset?
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I had this happen to me in DEC right after I received my AVX. I checked the DEC cable and it turned out to be faulty. I re-crimped my own and have never had a problem since. I don't know if this causes your problem but it can't hurt to tweet the connections if you have a multimeter.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

Yes I have done the factory reset.
Are you talking about the flat wide cable plugging into the DEC Port on the main assembly? Just to satisfy my curiosity I switched ends and re-inserted. I'm about a half hour away from seeing.

Thanks,
Dano
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

Well that didn't go to good. Maybe the new power cable and not the power pack? I'll try to check the DEC cable tomorrow.

Dano
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

[quote=SkyHiker post_id=46200 time=1576444097 user_id=95]
I had this happen to me in DEC right after I received my AVX. I checked the DEC cable and it turned out to be faulty. I re-crimped my own and have never had a problem since. I don't know if this causes your problem but it can't hurt to tweet the connections if you have a multimeter.
[/quote

Is this cable a standard Cat 6 cable?
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Astroglide65 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:14 amIs this cable a standard Cat 6 cable?
No. It's not a telephone connector either. Iirc it has 6 contacts. Just look at your cable and use the internet. Was it an rj11, I can't remember.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

I'm sorry that didn't work for you. It has fixed my issue on more occasions than I care to remember.
I would also say your next step is cable replacement...
Good Luck and please post up whatever you find that works for the next person!
Cheers
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

I found my multimeter, all of the wires have continuity.
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

Astroglide65 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:56 pm I found my multimeter, all of the wires have continuity.
Try moving them around while monitoring to duplicate what happens when the scope slews.
You may have an intermittent connection issue.
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

Good thing I still have that lacing pony.......it held the connector ends while I pulled two ways, up and away from them as I checked the continuity. Found no faults.
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

Clestron 5 amp 110v power cable cam today, it puts out 12.20 volts. Celestron fresh charged power tank puts out 12.89 volts...is this making the motor turn faster therefore the travel rates faster?

We'll see Wednesday night weather permitting.
Dano
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Astroglide65 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:13 pm Clestron 5 amp 110v power cable cam today, it puts out 12.20 volts. Celestron fresh charged power tank puts out 12.89 volts...is this making the motor turn faster therefore the travel rates faster?

We'll see Wednesday night weather permitting.
Dano
I don't think so, they are stepper motors.

Too bad it wasn't a cable problem.

Are there any differences between using the handset and computer control? One way to check it is to use PHD's manual controls. Just in case the handset has some problem.

Also, to rule out ASCOM, try the ST-4 controls, select the on-camera option in PHD.

Are there differences between RA and DEC? If so, consider switching the cables and see what happens, I know you already said the cables are fine but it's an easy double-check.
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

I did install CWPI but haven't used it yet, PHD2 for some reason didn't like it. I have used the manual control that floats around on my screen and it works. Let me backstep here, the problem I'm having happens before I fire up PHD2. Before I started using a guide camera I was able to focus on a target and take 30 sec. exposures over and over on Sharpcap, now I can't even get 15 seconds. The mount starts slowly moving too fast.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Astroglide65 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:43 pm I did install CWPI but haven't used it yet, PHD2 for some reason didn't like it. I have used the manual control that floats around on my screen and it works. Let me backstep here, the problem I'm having happens before I fire up PHD2. Before I started using a guide camera I was able to focus on a target and take 30 sec. exposures over and over on Sharpcap, now I can't even get 15 seconds. The mount starts slowly moving too fast.
Man, it just sounds like somewhere there is a setting that has the mount tracking on the wrong speed. I remember you saying how the Moon stayed put yet the stars were trailing.

Since you have done a factory reset and your power is good, I don't think the mount is the culprit. Something in some software somewhere is hosing you.

Have you tried a different capture program to see if the same thing occurs? Something like NINA or FireCapture? If you see the issue there, then double check the driver settings.

More straw grasping from me...:)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi,

This is your third thread regarding your afflicted mount and there are many posts dealing with your dilemma. So pardon me if I don't remember, but have you tried a different hand controller (if you have access to one) to see if that temporarily fixes the problem?

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

I have tried PHD2's manual control that's on the screen when connected to the mount, it works. I got a reply from Celestron Tech support, the first questions was which power tank I'm using and how old? Have I updated the Firmware? Have now. They gave me a link on more precise Polar Alignment. My new 5 amp power cable came yesterday.
https://www.celestron.com/blogs/knowled ... n-eq-mount
I haven't tried another program , I did download and install CWPI but PHD2 didn't like it. I'll check that out today.
The first of the month I was out back using the power pack, it went sour.
Next night I was at the campground I used the trucks cigarette lighter, worked great for awhile then suddenly PHD2 starts telling me " Your mount stopped slewing", over and over.
Next night I'm using the power pack, OMG it worked flawlessly for hours!

Tonight we'll see,
Dano
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Dano

My Celestron CGX struggled to keep on track until I realised that it thought I was at the default Greenwich Observatory location. It doesn't remember the entered time, date and location until you enable the Real Time Clock.

Your problem appears to be more intermittent than that but it might be worth a look?

Good luck

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/