Celestron hand control question

Discuss Celestron mounts.
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Celestron hand control question

Post by gregl »

Hi folks:

My problems with Celestron hand controls that I posted here (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3793) continue. As I wrote on that thread, I went through three new ones that were defective. I bought a used old-style one off eBay only to find that it's for the GT mounts and won't work on the SE mount. And when I look at Mike Swanson's terrific Nexstar Resource Site (https://nexstarsite.com/index.html) I find an article that lists all the various hand controls and what they are compatible with, but I don't see a way to identify them.

On the hand control I bought off eBay, there is a sticker on the back at the bottom by the modular connection (photo below) that shows that this one is for the GT mount. According to the Nexstar Resource Site, what I want is a Version 4 controller.

(Yes, I know that the new Nexstar+ control will work but as I wrote on the previous thread, I've been through three in a row that were defective and I want to find one of the original Version 4 controllers.)

My question is: How can I tell if a controller is a Version 4 for the SE mount? Is there a similar sticker on such a control?

THANKS!

Control sticker for GT mounts:
IMG_8061.jpg
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Re: Celestron hand control question

Post by gregl »

I forgot to mention above that this controller shows a "No Response" error when plugged into my SE mount. I know the mount is good as a friend's controller works fine.

Also, further research on the Nexstar site suggests that a control with an NSX sticker on it is compatible. But before I return this one, does anyone know if this control could be re-programmed with the NSX firmware?

Thanks!
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The only way to know is to look at the program version when it is powered.
I have one for an SLT mount that is marked SLT on the back but the hand controller for the ASGT (Ver.4) has no marking on it.
Other than it just being a Nexstar controller instead of a newer Nexstar+ I am not sure if there is a way to tell them apart without powering it.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Thanks, Lady Fraktor. Unfortunately, all I get when powering it up is "No Response." My club meets tonight and I might be able to find a member with a PC and the cable that connects to the h.c., in which case we'll try to install the firmware.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If it is a older Nexstar hand controller it needs to be connected to the mount to work/ update.
Only the new ones can be updated away from the mount.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

On the older version HC you cannot use the cfm updater either, you need to use the old (2004) HCupdate and MCupdate programmers as they are in a different programming language.
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Thanks again, L.F. I'll post an update when this problem is resolved.
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Here's the update I promised. After going through four controls that didn't work, I found a control on eBay that works. It's got the newer buttons, the ones with the ridges on the slew buttons and the angled scroll buttons, but the older modular connection in the bottom, not the USB. I don't like the ridges on the buttons but the thing works so I'll live with it. The firmware is 5.somethingorother. Our club's observing night at the lake is a week from tomorrow so if it's not too cold I'll head out there and try it in the dark.