AVX goto accuracy

Discuss Celestron mounts.
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

AVX goto accuracy

Post by Mac »

I recently purchased the Celestron AVX mount and have a few questions.

Without doing a 2 star calibration and with a good visual Polar alignment, Custom location with coordinates, proper time setup, how far off would the goto function be?

When slewing to Jupiter, for example, it would be 10 degrees off in both RA and DEC.

I have been able to get very good 30sec exposures with my 400mm DSLR lens during tracking.

Does the use of a polar scope make that much of a difference?

TIA
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Re: AVX goto accuracy

Post by fatboy1271 »

Hey TIA (edit: yes, I need mental help!!!),

I have the QHY PoleMaster and can't recommend it enough. Granted it costs around $270 but the amount of hours of frustration it's saved me, plus no more crawling on my knees to see through a polar scope is priceless! It will get you very good PA. It's easy to learn and you'll be ready to align within minutes.

fat
Last edited by fatboy1271 on Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

fatboy1271 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:42 pm Hey TIA,

I have the QHY PoleMaster and can't recommend it enough. Granted it costs around $270 but the amount of hours of frustration it's saved me, plus no more crawling on my knees to see through a polar scope is priceless! It will get you very good PA. It's easy to learn and you'll be ready to align within minutes.

fat
TIA haha thanks in advance is my name...

I was looking at the QHY from a previous mention of it.

Would my goto function be that far off using just a visual?
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Sorry Steve... I'm dumb quite often! Ugh :|

It shouldn't be that far off. Mine is never "perfect" until I start guiding, but slewing for alignment is always onscreen.
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

LOL :D
Short answer: No
You should have Jove in a 25mm EP with no problems from a good visual PA attempt.
But, are your times correct? Daylight saving will move you just about 10° out, so that may be the issue.
Check the site info carefully...
Cheers

**EDIT**
ASPA is probably the best thing that has happened to commercial mounts in the last 10 years...
I strongly suggest using it for your best shot at good images.

I'm also going to suggest checking the bolt that the east west bolts move against.The one on my old CG-5 would loosen and throw everything off.
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

fatboy1271 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:52 pm Sorry Steve... I'm dumb quite often! Ugh :|

It shouldn't be that far off. Mine is never "perfect" until I start guiding, but slewing for alignment is always onscreen.
No worries... wait till you're an old coot like me.

I will try again tonight. Now that I am back home in Ohio the skies will be much more LP and trees obscuring good star alignment.
Steve

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

JimMinCT wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:54 pm LOL :D
Short answer: No
You should have Jove in a 25mm EP with no problems from a good visual PA attempt.
But, are your times correct? Daylight saving will move you just about 10° out, so that may be the issue.
Check the site info carefully...
Cheers

**EDIT**
ASPA is probably the best thing that has happened to commercial mounts in the last 10 years...
I strongly suggest using it for your best shot at good images.

I'm also going to suggest checking the bolt that the east west bolts move against.The one on my old CG-5 would loosen and throw everything off.

Thank Jim... I think I will get the PolarMaster so I am not wasting so much time. I was using Wifi and the SkyPortal iOS app to connect and align as it saves entering the time/date/gps info. Maybe a setting in there is incorrect.

It's supposed to be clear tonight and I can try again.
Steve

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

A good polar alignment and a good GOTO alignment are two different things. A good polar alignment ensures that you stay on target. A good GOTO alignment ensures that you get to the target.

If you are reasonably polar-aligned after setting up, your first GOTO during calibration should be at least within your finder scope. As Jim mentioned, not properly accounting daylight saving time can throw things off.

Also, careful centering of alignment stars is key for accuracy GOTOs. A cross-hair eyepiece can be very beneficial in achieving this. And after you do your 2-star alignment, add as many calibration stars as you can (up to 4) to further increase accuracy. :)

A slow and carefully calibration results in fairly accurate GOTOs. Accuracy in equals accuracy out. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

bladekeeper wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:24 pm A good polar alignment and a good GOTO alignment are two different things. A good polar alignment ensures that you stay on target. A good GOTO alignment ensures that you get to the target.

If you are reasonably polar-aligned after setting up, your first GOTO during calibration should be at least within your finder scope. As Jim mentioned, not properly accounting daylight saving time can throw things off.

Also, careful centering of alignment stars is key for accuracy GOTOs. A cross-hair eyepiece can be very beneficial in achieving this. And after you do your 2-star alignment, add as many calibration stars as you can (up to 4) to further increase accuracy. :)

A slow and carefully calibration results in fairly accurate GOTOs. Accuracy in equals accuracy out. :)
Thanks Bryan.

I just found the source of the problem, along with the user, in the SkyPortal iOS app settings.

This makes me feel much more optimistic. I must have toggled it off or something as I would think it would be a default but I completely overlooked this. :sigh:
Image-1.jpeg
Steve

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

With my AVX, following Bryan's suggestion of using a reticle eyepiece and doing a 2 + 4 goto alignment, all objects arrive very close to FOV center.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

JayTee wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:49 pm With my AVX, following Bryan's suggestion of using a reticle eyepiece and doing a 2 + 4 goto alignment, all objects arrive very close to FOV center.

Cheers,
JT
It's a crisp clear night coming so I am hoping to test it out tonight before the moon gets too high in the sky.

Thanks JT
Steve

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Good luck tonight Steve.

I’ve also had similar success with my AVX as JT. Reticle eyepiece and a 2+4 puts the target in the center of the fov.
With the camera or guide scope, I’m in the fov with simply a good PA and a quick align.

Thanks and have a successful night!
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Thanks Jim
Steve

Seawolfe
Moon Ambassador

Post by Seawolfe »

While I haven't used my AVX in a few months, when you do the GOTO calibrations, the 2 stars + 4 calibration stars, use a single or double cross-hair reticle and finalize your centering with a Up and then Right arrow key. This helps the centering on the gears. If you got the first two stars accurately, the second calibration star should be very near the center of the cross-hairs in your reticle EP.
1975 - 1982 - Semper Fi
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Seawolfe wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:29 pm While I haven't used my AVX in a few months, when you do the GOTO calibrations, the 2 stars + 4 calibration stars, use a single or double cross-hair reticle and finalize your centering with a Up and then Right arrow key. This helps the centering on the gears. If you got the first two stars accurately, the second calibration star should be very near the center of the cross-hairs in your reticle EP.
Thanks Seawolfe.
Steve

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Thanks Jim,

That should be the mantra for all Celestron mount users. RIGHT and UP!!!

It is quintessentially important that you finish all your "Align" slews with right and up.

The reason for this is that if you want the best goto accuracy you want your final aligning motions to mimic the same motions the mount uses in its goto approach. If you look in the HC menu you will find "go to approach" and if you select that, the default setting is RIGHT and UP. Now, you can change that if you would like but what's the point just use right and up!

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."