CGE-Pro motor

Discuss Celestron mounts.
glefebvre
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

CGE-Pro motor

Post by glefebvre »

Hi all,

A few weeks ago my CGE-Pro RA motor started to act up. When I would slew the mount to the extreme east or west I would get some jerkiness or it slew slowly and then race to catch up. Once I would get it to object I want to observe and the mount would start tracking, there was a noticeable tick and the mount would jump. So, I took the RA motor housing apart, removed the motor and found that the motor was inconsistent in moving in either direction or it would take a tap or moving the shaft to make it start. So, the motor was bad. Having read may post on line that parts for CGE-Pro mount were pretty much no longer available I figured that my CGE-Pro had just become a boat anchor. On an off chance, I contacted Celestron about a replacement motor. Much to my surprise they had a replacement motor available (part number 20104) for $589. After thinking about for a while, I figured it was cheaper to replace the failed motor then to buy a new mount with the same capabilities as the CGE-Pro. So I order the motor and it arrived on Saturday and I reinstalled it on Sunday. It works great and I now have my mount back up and running.

So, for those that have CGE-Pro mounts, check with Celestron about a replacement motor if you need one. They may still have some available.
Gary Lefebvre

Telescopes/Mounts: Edge C1100, C6, TPO 6" RC, Orion ED80T CF, CGE-Pro, CGEM-DX, AVX
Cameras/Guiding: Nightscape 8300, Skyris 274c, Orion SSAG, SX-35, Lodestar X2, STF-8300
Eyepieces: ES 4.7, 6.7, 11, 18, 30, Luminos 7, 10, 15, 19, 23, 31, X-cel LX 7, Vixen SVL 5
Mics: StarSense AUTOALIGN, GPS, 0.7x reducer, AP CCDT67, Orion FF, SX-AO, SX Maxi Filterwheel and Mini Filterwheel, Baader narrow band filter and LRGB
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: CGE-Pro motor

Post by JimMinCT »

Nice job. Literally stuck between a rock, (Boat anchor) and a hard place ($600)...
I agree you took the best route. Esp, if the CGE has given you no issues other than that.
(Celestron seems to stock the oddest selection of parts. I'm picturing the warehouse at the end of the "Raiders of the Lost Ark", type of thing... :D
Cheers
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
glefebvre
Earth Ambassador

Re: CGE-Pro motor

Post by glefebvre »

Well, I figured it was less expensive to purchase a motor then shelling out 4-6k on a new mount with the same capabilities as the CGE-Pro. Of course I'm also hoping that this new motor will last a long time.
Gary Lefebvre

Telescopes/Mounts: Edge C1100, C6, TPO 6" RC, Orion ED80T CF, CGE-Pro, CGEM-DX, AVX
Cameras/Guiding: Nightscape 8300, Skyris 274c, Orion SSAG, SX-35, Lodestar X2, STF-8300
Eyepieces: ES 4.7, 6.7, 11, 18, 30, Luminos 7, 10, 15, 19, 23, 31, X-cel LX 7, Vixen SVL 5
Mics: StarSense AUTOALIGN, GPS, 0.7x reducer, AP CCDT67, Orion FF, SX-AO, SX Maxi Filterwheel and Mini Filterwheel, Baader narrow band filter and LRGB