GoTo accuracy

Discuss Celestron mounts.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

GoTo accuracy

Post by Bigzmey »

This topic is not specific to Celestron mounts but there is no place on the forum yet to post general mount topics.

Anyhow, I want to hear from people using any brand AltAz GoTo mounts on how good is goto function is.

I only have experience with SW AzGti mount and generally new to the GoTo thing. After tweaking the settings and playing with aligment I got to the point where GoTo function always places the target within 1 deg FOV, but never in the center. In my case it is always in the low right portion of FOV.

Is that fairly typical for an AltAz GoTo mount? Or some of you getting bullseyes with your mounts?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
JCINGA
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: GoTo accuracy

Post by JCINGA »

I get the same but mine is an older LX200 Classic.
Tracks fine after centering. But slew to a new one and it’s off down and to the left.
Meade LX200 12" CLS, Orion XT8i, Meade ETX70
Televue: 17mmNAG, 55mmPL, 2Xpowermate, Ex.SCi 4.7mm, Orion Strat 13mm
Baader 2" Moon&sky, Orion 2" 13%
Meade giant field tripod, bobs knobs, peterson focuser, Telerad
515bonner United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 515bonner »

JCINGA wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:17 am I get the same but mine is an older LX200 Classic.
Tracks fine after centering. But slew to a new one and it’s off down and to the left.
I had one of the older LX200 Classics (AltAZ mode) back in the mid 90's that did the same thing.
It always had the object in a 30' field of view but no matter what you did, when you slewed to a new object it was always to the left of center by about 10'.
Sometimes you had to manual move around because the object was just a hair out of the field of view. But it was always in the same direction.
Never could quite figure out why.
14.5" f/5.3 Starmaster with Sky Commander XP4 | 9.25" Celestron SCT | 8" f/7 Starmaster (only 5 made) with Sky Commander V3
6" f/12 Orion 150mm Mak | 4" f/9 Celestron Refractor (Vixen) | 80mm f4 unbranded refractor
iOptron CEM40 | iOptron Cube Pro
Large Assortment of Nagler and Konig Eyepieces | ZWO ASI290MC & ZWO ASI120MM-s Cameras

Member of the Astronomical Society of Kansas City / Astronomical League
Member of the British Astronomical Association
V.P. of Occultation Services, International Occultation Timing Association
JCINGA
Moon Ambassador

Post by JCINGA »

Yeah, I don’t do AP so it’s not a worry as it tracks great once centered. Great scope otherwise.
Meade LX200 12" CLS, Orion XT8i, Meade ETX70
Televue: 17mmNAG, 55mmPL, 2Xpowermate, Ex.SCi 4.7mm, Orion Strat 13mm
Baader 2" Moon&sky, Orion 2" 13%
Meade giant field tripod, bobs knobs, peterson focuser, Telerad
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Hello Andrey.

My experience is predominately with my little SLT mount. It is the first goto mount I used. I was always pleased that it put my target anywhere in the fov, which it did and does consistently.

I am not sure I remember for sure but I don't think it was always in the middle. But I was not really worried about it at the time.

Not much help, I know, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. 😊

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Don Quixote wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:46 am Hello Andrey.

My experience is predominately with my little SLT mount. It is the first goto mount I used. I was always pleased that it put my target anywhere in the fov, which it did and does consistently.

I am not sure I remember for sure but I don't think it was always in the middle. But I was not really worried about it at the time.

Mark, what scope did you use with SLT?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:50 am Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Don Quixote wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:46 am Hello Andrey.

Mark, what scope did you use with SLT?
I had the 127 MAK mounted. I have quite a number of outings with it. I have been wanting to mount one of my fracs but gave not gotten around to it...there seems to be a new gadget for me to play with every time I turn around.

I also have the Alt/Az skywatcher but have only used it once in that mode with my 5 inch Mak and the 127 frac and I cannot remember where things landed in the fov on that one.
BamaDon United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by BamaDon »

I've been using a celestron 8" AltAz for outreach. I've found that if I use a bubble level to ensure that the mount is level, that helps a lot.
Don
Scopes: Criterion RV-6; 8" f/8 homebuilt; 10" Cave OTA; 12.5" Dobsonian; Celestron C11 Mounts: Losmandy G11 Eyepieces: ES 82° 24, 18, 14, 11, 8.8, 6.7, 4.7; Meade RG: Erfle 20; Ortho 16.8, 10.5, 7 Binoculars: Orion Ultraview 10x50; Filters: DGM NPB, O-III; Orion SkyGlow; DSLR: Canon t6i
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I have used the SLT mount for quite a few years, once adjusted it consistently puts objects in the field of view.
I use it primarily for the 70mm and SV80 but used it with the supplied 102mm as well.

Your results are fairly normal, do you use a reticle eyepiece when aligning?
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

So this question has a binary with a qualifier for the answer.

Binary - Is the desired object in the field of view yes or no? If no, go back and redo the entire goto alignment. If yes, read the qualifier question.
Qualifier - is the desired object where you would like it to be in the FOV?

So if the binary is satisfied then we are only talking about the qualifier. This is where it gets a bit "dodgy". I own 3 Celestron goto mounts 2 Alt-Az (SLT & GT), 1 EQ (AVX) and 1 Meade Alt-Az (DS2000) goto mount.

The newer the technology the better and more accurate will be the gotos. My AVX has the capability to do a 2-star goto alignment then add 4 calibration stars. The gotos from this mount are almost always right in the center of the FOV. At worst they are still within the 1/3 from center FOV ring.

As for my older Alt-Az mounts, well that's a bit different. If you can get the object 1/3 of the way out from the center of the FOV, or closer, you're done, that's as good as you can expect.

If you are outside that 1/3 from center of FOV ring then there are a few things you can do that can help get you inside that ring (most of the time). First off, use a reticle EP for centering your alignment stars. For the Celestron mounts, always finish slewing to your alignment stars by using the Right and Up buttons. If you have to use the Down and or Left buttons, reposition the object so you are always finishing the slew UP and RIGHT. When you are done with your goto alignment, then accomplish the calibrate mount function. Finally, use the goto function to slew to each of your alignment stars and see if they are still centered in the FOV. If not, fix it!

Here's the dodgy part: I swear that these older Celestron Alt-Az goto mounts are very much like my teenage son when I ask him to go mow the lawn. Sometimes he does it exactly as asked. Other times he does it but does a poor job. And sometimes he just completely forgets to do it. Bribery, to get a consistent result, with money and/or food sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. After having owned these mounts for near 7 years now, they behave much the same way. You level the mount, you do the UP and RIGHT slew, you use a reticle EP with the alignment star smack dab right on the crosshairs and you really don't know what your result will be until you start using the goto function! Much like my son, maybe the encoders are just LAZY --- Sometimes!!!

I hope this somewhat helps in getting that desired object closer to FOV center.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Kingofthehill
Mars Ambassador

Post by Kingofthehill »

FWIW, I use GoTo with my 18UC with ArgoNavis. After initial alignment an object will appear in the field, but usually not centered. After each subsequent finding of a target I can add that object to the alignment and the next desired object will be closer to center.
Paul
Main telescope used is Obsession 18UC
Cut my teeth on Orion 10" Dob
AR152 and Orion ST80 sit mostly unused
Lots of binoculars

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks everyone! Sounds like the result I am getting is close to the expected accuracy. The only thing I have not try yet is a reticle EP. I will give it a shot next time.