Celestron AVX (Yet Another Review)

Discuss Celestron mounts.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Celestron AVX (Yet Another Review)

Post by mikemarotta »

Like the Ford Ranger truck or Toyota Camry sedan, this model has a long history and we need to be clear on the year in which you purchased yours. Not all makes and builds are equal over time.

I have had head crashes with mine: You give it a star to go to and it turns upside down driving the telescope into the tripod or driving one of its adjustment knobs into the mount. But that does not happen very often. Powering down and restarting cures whatever was the ailment.

I bought this to use with an Astrotech 115-mm ED APO refractor weighing 17 lbs. The rating on the mount is 22 lbs. I do not have cameras or other stuff. The extra weight comes from the diagonal and oculars ("eyepieces"): 82-degree waterproof from TeleVue and Meade.

I spent four nights and five days with the mount. The last night, I did not bother with alignment and just set it up to North and then drove the motors with the paddle ("handset") to the targets that I wanted to view. The hardest part of alignment is planning in advance which stars I will use and making note of their common (faux Arabic) names. It knows Algedi. It does not know alpha Cap. Not every star is visible from my backyard because of the trees, etc. And I am at 30 degrees North, not 45. So, I made tables of target stars for alignment. You really have to know the sky before you power up.

Once aligned and working, it is a good teaching tool.

I have three in-depth reviews on my blog:
Part One here: https://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com/20 ... anced.html
Part Two here: https://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com/202 ... art-2.html
Part Three here: https://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com/202 ... art-3.html

Just to note, first and foremost, despite the longevity of the product line, the basic documentation was lacking. The Declination motor data port is not identified.
AVX Docs Dec Port Missing 2.jpeg
I finally turned on the chandelier in the living room (where I was working) and got a flashlight. It only took a few minutes to find.
Assembly problems - 5.jpeg
And a minor point: With computer calculations, polar alignment for a German Equatorial Mount is now secondary. The drive boards can do the math if you give them three good stars far from the Pole. However, I did buy the Celestron polar alignment scope that fits this mount. I have not used it yet. I do point out here that the instructions for Polar Alignment are on Page 29 of the instructions. Myself, being old-fashioned, I would have put it closer to the front, though as I say, it is no longer necessary. The computer will drive in Altitude-Azimuth coordinates just as easily as Right Ascension and Declination. Welcome to the future.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Celestron AVX (Yet Another Review)

Post by JayTee »

This mount is great for learning about EQ mounts and getting headaches. It's also a great tool for causing you to save your money to buy a better mount. :lol: :doh:
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Mike,

It sounds like you are using your mount for visual work and having lots of fun with it.
For visual, the AVX does quite a good job in my experience.

Decent tracking and downright spot on goto’s assuming a close PA and a two-star alignment with a couple of calibration stars.

I learned a lot with mine and it got me off to a fun start in AP.

Using the AVX for AP is most likely what JT is referring to in his post.
All AVX’s are not created equal. There are few stellar performers and most are challenging for AP use.

My AVX got me off to a good start in AP, but took a turn south recently and has been demoted to visual again.

I took it out tonight for a spin with my old 5”newt. No PA, and a quick 2-star alignment put several “test” targets easily in the 12mm eyepiece (54x) fov. Tracking was great and the target stayed centered in the reticle eyepiece. I finished the night with an always pleasing view of the spectacular double Albireo.

I enjoyed reading your post Mike, enjoy the views!

Oh, btw, with the Celestron Sky Portal wifi module, you can use the free Sky Portal app (or Sky Safari) to align the scope/mount with your phone. You can hold the phone up to an unobstructed portion of sky and select your own alignment stars. Works great when you have lots if obstructions. You can then use the app to see what targets are available to you and simply tap on them and tap goto.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

JayTee wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:50 pm It's also a great tool for causing you to save your money to buy a better mount. :lol: :doh:
Better telescope, better oculars, better books, better home... I have an 8-inch Newtonian in its shipping cartons in the garage waiting for the time and patience to coliminate it after I get a mount for it. It weighs 22 lbs. On thing with the mount specifications I have seen is that you always have counterweights but they are never upfront in the sales pitch. I almost fell for a mount with a 40-lb capacity... nope! 20 lbs of counterweights so back down below by 22-lb load.
Juno16 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:44 am It sounds like you are using your mount for visual work and having lots of fun with it.
For visual, the AVX does quite a good job in my experience.
Decent tracking and downright spot on goto’s assuming a close PA and a two-star alignment with a couple of calibration stars.

Oh, btw, with the Celestron Sky Portal wifi module, ... and select your own alignment stars.
Thanks, Juno16. I have only shallow interest in astrophotography, at best. My passions are for history, theory, and the history of theory: how we came to believe what we regard as true.

I figured out early on in the set-up that I want not just any alignment stars but points far part and away from the pole, close to the ecliptic or equator, depending. My polar alignment (PA) is quite good. I use my cellphone compass. I have been in this backyard for a decade and I have recorded Polaris as a double. (I also use the cellphone level. It's pretty handy.) I also always do more than two stars. I am old fashioned and I know my maths. So, I go with three points to define a conic section. I include a fourth star whenever I can.

However, my problem is not so much the trees (though there is that) as it is the fact that I am in a city of 1.8 millions ten miles from the center and one mile from a major shopping center. When Covid was new and we were all locked down, the skies were clearer than I ever knew them here. Now, it is back to Bortle 7-8: no Milky Way naked eye. So, alignment stars have nothing to do with cellphone apps. That's why I packed the mount and tripod away and went back to using the Twilight and 102-mm doublet. (See, also, my homemade Vixen mount for my National Geographic 70-mm here: https://www.theskysearchers.com/viewtop ... 54&t=21266 )
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Juno16 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:44 am I almost fell for a mount with a 40-lb capacity... nope! 20 lbs of counterweights so back down below by 22-lb load.
ALL mount manufacturer's will swear that counterweights are separate from the payload determination, ie they don't count toward the total payload weight! Your results may vary!!! :o :whistle: :veryconfused:
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

JayTee wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:34 am
mikemarotta wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:44 am I almost fell for a mount with a 40-lb capacity... nope! 20 lbs of counterweights so back down below by 22-lb load.
ALL mount manufacturer's will swear that counterweights are separate from the payload determination, ie they don't count toward the total payload weight! Your results may vary!!! :o :whistle: :veryconfused:
I don't know who is swearing by what stars, but I do know what "payload capacity" means. And when I told the sales person that I wanted the AVX for its 30-lb capacity with my 22-lb reflector, she told me that the telescope would be too much weight. In fact, weight alone is not enough information. The counterweights run up and down on a shaft and thereby have different torque (moment).

In point of fact, the Newtonian having its center of gravity closer to the axis should be easier to carry than a refractor whose long tube has a greater moment arm.

Why not balance more load with a longer shaft for lesser counterweights? No one talks about moment extenders.

I just don't understand and I simply drew the line on spending any more money. Setting up the AVX I came "this close" to packing up all of my gear and leaving it with the Goodwill because amateur astronomy is a shuck and jive gimmick to separate gullible consumers from their money. You might as well buy one nice coffee table book of Hubble pictures and be done. (My wife talked me down off the ledge.)
Michael E. Marotta
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

The AVX is fine for visual and beginner AP. Its capacity is advertised as 30 lbs not 22 lbs. For AP it would be half that, YMMV. If you change the number from 30 to 22 based on what you heard from someone you should test it, if this is a review. Reading through your blog though, it is more a review of your learning experience than of your AVX mount. I got the impression that if you describe if something did not work right it is not clear if that was due to your inexperience or due to the mount. It was entertaining though and echoed my own AVX learning experience. While I now mainly use my G11S OnStep, I appreciate my AVX, it has a lot of features and offers good value for the money.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:53 am The AVX is fine for visual and beginner AP. ... I appreciate my AVX, it has a lot of features and offers good value for the money.
Thanks, Skyhiker. I apologize for the late response to your helpful suggestions. As you said my write-up is as much about my learning experience as a review of the instrument. As a technical writer, I get paid to write what other people want. On my blog, I write for myself. I posted the links here just so anyone who cares can read my essays. I do not post them here because I do not want to overwhelm TSS with a lbrary of my lengthy comments.

SH: "... If you change the number from 30 to 22 based on what you heard from someone you should test it, if this is a review.'
The "someone" was a sales person for OPT. I trusted her to know her product line. What she said agreed with many other similar comments about other mounts here, on CN, etc. Manufacturers often overstate their specifications. So, I took her at her word.

SH: "Its capacity is advertised as 30 lbs not 22 lbs. For AP it would be half that, YMMV."
See, you said it, too.

That is one reason that I wouid not test this at 30 lbs. Among the other reasons is that I have no way to do that conveniently. I do not have a workshop. I would be challenged to build a 30-lb test weight for the mount. And if I broke it, then what? What if I break a tooth on a gear? I surmise that you are the kind of engineer who would just make a new gear. That is not who I am. What if I burn out a motor?

SH: "I got the impression that if you describe if something did not work right it is not clear if that was due to your inexperience or due to the mount."

Well, the two go together. I do have some experience in robotics and factory automation, but I approach this as a consumer. They do not supply schematics and blueprints. It's a black box. It works or it does not. And my experience on the shop floor is as a programmer and an instructor of programming. When the mount flipped and crashed, I really did not care if was because of the resolvers or encoders (incremental or absolute) or Hall Effect transistors, or whatever. It did what it did. I reported the procedures and the outcomes.

You are free to write a review. But for all the commenting here, you are not alone in not actually doing any writing. I love writing. I just got from the UT Astronomy library Agnes Clerke's A Popular History of Astronomy During the Nneteenth Century. Even though she was a contemporary of Mark Twain, her style is very different from his. He wrote like Jame Fenimore Cooper. She wrote in a more modern style.

SH: "It was entertaining though and echoed my own AVX learning experience."

I am happy to learn that I am on a known path.

SH: "While I now mainly use my G11S OnStep."
Never heard of it. So, I googled it.
OnStep is a computerized telescope goto controller designed by Howard Dutton (Stellarjourney.com) and allow to use on a variety of mounts.

It supports Equatorial Mounts (GEM, Fork, etc.) as well as Alt-Az mounts (like Dobsonians and similar) and Tangent Arm mounts.

OnStep is compatible with the LX200 protocol, so it can be controlled from other planetarium software like SkySafari, CdC (also without ASCOM), Stellarium, etc.

OnStep is a computerized telescope goto controller designed by Howard Dutton (Stellarjourney.com) and allow to use on a variety of mounts.

It supports Equatorial Mounts (GEM, Fork, etc.) as well as Alt-Az mounts (like Dobsonians and similar) and Tangent Arm mounts.

OnStep is compatible with the LX200 protocol, so it can be controlled from other planetarium software like SkySafari, CdC (also without ASCOM), Stellarium, etc.
https://instein.eu/index.php?route=prod ... ry&path=25
Thanks, once more, SkyHiker. Now I know something that I did not know before. I appreciate that.
Michael E. Marotta
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

mikemarotta wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:11 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:53 am The AVX is fine for visual and beginner AP. ... I appreciate my AVX, it has a lot of features and offers good value for the money.
Thanks, Skyhiker. I apologize for the late response to your helpful suggestions. As you said my write-up is as much about my learning experience as a review of the instrument. As a technical writer, I get paid to write what other people want. On my blog, I write for myself. I posted the links here just so anyone who cares can read my essays. I do not post them here because I do not want to overwhelm TSS with a lbrary of my lengthy comments.
If you call your post a review then that is what we expect it to be, regardless of whether it is a blog or not.
mikemarotta wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:11 pm SH: "... If you change the number from 30 to 22 based on what you heard from someone you should test it, if this is a review.'
The "someone" was a sales person for OPT. I trusted her to know her product line. What she said agreed with many other similar comments about other mounts here, on CN, etc. Manufacturers often overstate their specifications. So, I took her at her word.

SH: "Its capacity is advertised as 30 lbs not 22 lbs. For AP it would be half that, YMMV."
See, you said it, too.

That is one reason that I wouid not test this at 30 lbs. Among the other reasons is that I have no way to do that conveniently. I do not have a workshop. I would be challenged to build a 30-lb test weight for the mount. And if I broke it, then what? What if I break a tooth on a gear? I surmise that you are the kind of engineer who would just make a new gear. That is not who I am. What if I burn out a motor?
Your sources are unnamed and there are as many opinions as there are people. In a review you should not depend on second hand information but on your own experiences. We can all search the web to find out what others think. I would stick with the written specification from the manufacturer unless you have tried it, and found a problem with the spec. Don't just read something on the web and spread the word as if it is the truth. Keep in mind that many CN users do AP and may have been referring to the AP capacity. Did you take that into consideration?

One example is our member geethq who used his 10" F/4 Orion of 25.5 lbs. on his AVX (add an autoguider, finder and camera) and produced images that blew us away, much better than anyone expected (this was still at the old AF forum). He now has a different mount but nevertheless, especially since the AP capacity is assumed to be half the visual capacity, one would conclude that 30 lbs is easily manageable for visual use. As for my own experience, I have used my AVX with 15+ lbs. for AP (the Mak-Newt) and it performed well. I would put a 30 lbs. load on my AVX for visual, I don't think it would be a problem at all. The point is, how much you get out of your mount depends on the user especially for AP. The AVX is definitely feasible for 15 lbs. of AP gear. Using the factor 2 from AP to visual, 30 lbs. is not out of the question, not at all.
mikemarotta wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:11 pm You are free to write a review. But for all the commenting here, you are not alone in not actually doing any writing. I love writing. I just got from the UT Astronomy library Agnes Clerke's A Popular History of Astronomy During the Nneteenth Century. Even though she was a contemporary of Mark Twain, her style is very different from his. He wrote like Jame Fenimore Cooper. She wrote in a more modern style.
While I am no Mark Twain, I do some writing here. Before I post I re-read, think about punctuation and paragraphs, if what I write makes sense, and if I would insult someone. It' still writing. I would not use as many words as you do to describe something, neither would Mark Twain.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I don't know who is swearing by what stars, but I do know what "payload capacity" means. And when I told the sales person that I wanted the AVX for its 30-lb capacity with my 22-lb reflector, she told me that the telescope would be too much weight. In fact, weight alone is not enough information. The counterweights run up and down on a shaft and thereby have different torque (moment).

In point of fact, the Newtonian having its center of gravity closer to the axis should be easier to carry than a refractor whose long tube has a greater moment arm.

Why not balance more load with a longer shaft for lesser counterweights? No one talks about moment extenders.

Very few mounts include the counterweights as part of the capacity, the person that said this was just wrong on this count. The AVX is rated at 30lbs + required counterweights.
My ASGT which is the older version of the AVX carries my 30lb refractor with 27lb of counterweight on a regular basis for years with no issue.

Moment arm of a 8" or 10" reflector is as much if not greater than something like my 105mm f/15 refractor.
Moment arm is affected by the distance of the RA/ Dec cross to center of telescope as much as by length, a large reflector induces a lot of moment as it sits much further away from the best balance point.
You do not normally see counterweight bar extensions because you do not want your weights further out. The motors need more torque to move a weight far out than close in. This would also cause more vibration of the mount with the weight farther out.
Best is majority of weight as close in as possible.

@mikemarotta if you do require a extension piece for counterweights, Jim at Scopestuff sells one for the CG-5 that will fit. It adds 150mm to the length.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

PS:, play nicely guys.
There is nothing wrong with voicing a opinion (we all have them), but it should be polite and respectfull.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

FWIW, I just loaded up my AVX with the ES ED127CF and the ES MN152 Comet Hunter side by side, each weighing about 15 lbs. plus the ADM connector that weights a few pounds, so altogether well over 30 lbs. I used two counterweights plus a small one that I had to attach with a bungee cord to make it almost balanced (not ideal), over 20 lbs total (IIRC 12+7+something). The AVX had no problems slewing them all the way around in DEC and RA at full speed. Probably not worthwhile making a bug fuss about, I agree, but that AVX is good vaule for the money.
IMG_1033_small.jpg