Discuss Celestron mounts.
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

AVX and PHD2

Post by Astroglide65 »

Hello everybody,
Recently I had to change laptops, that meant downloading and installing everything again. All is going well but there's PHD2 and calibration again.
The last time I did calibration I went to Menu/Goto RaDec on the HC entered enter on the RA setting and then changed the Dec settings to +20 degrees. If I remember right, the scope slewed there and I ran the calibration. Last night I tried and over and over the scope slewed East and then dove down to Australia.

HELP!!!
Dano
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: AVX and PHD2

Post by bobharmony »

Hi Dano. There are a couple of usual things to check on the AVX, are the time, date and DST settings correct? Is the mount set to EQ North? Beyond that, it would be helpful to know your startup sequence in a bit more detail, the steps you take, the type of alignment you are doing, the type of connection to PHD2, etc. Another dumb and strong thing to do to reset the hand controller. I don't think we are there yet, but it is something to keep in your back pocket.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

Hi Bob,
The usual things are all correct,time,date,DST setting etc. the mount is set EQ North. I setup in my indexed location, using the Polar scope and the settings shown on the PS Align Pro app I do a rough PA. Once it gets dark enough I PA with Sharpcap Pro the the two star alignment and at least 2 star calibration. Sometimes I do 4 waiting for it to get darker. If I get to set up tonight I'll reset the HC and go from there. Am I correct in Menu/Goto RA Dec and set Dec to +20?
Thanks!
Dano

PS, I have been told on my ipad there's been a dataleak here and suggests changing my password. I can't find that here. Where's password at?
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

I found my password.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Dano, I don't use the HC to slew when the scope is connected to PHD2, I use PHD2 to set the slew location for drift alignment. What you are describing sounds reasonable, maybe someone who does that technique will come along and verify.

To find where to change your password, click on the little head-and-shoulders icon in the toolbar, select the "User Control Panel" option, then select the Profile tab then "Edit account settings".

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

Thanks Bob,
I remember now seeing that in PHD2 if I can find it again......LOL. Found and changed my password.

Dano
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Cool, Dano. I am not an Apple guy by any means, but I read an article on IOS14 that indicates Apple checks passwords you have stored with them against lists of breached passwords, and it reports that information to you. It is also part of iPadOS 14. The feature is part of iCloud Keychain. The description of the feature from aApple reads:

"Safari securely monitors your saved passwords, automatically keeping an eye out for passwords that may have been involved in a data breach. To do this, Safari uses strong cryptographic techniques to regularly check derivations of your passwords against a list of breached passwords in a secure and private way that doesn’t reveal your password information — even to Apple. If Safari discovers a breach, it can help you upgrade to Sign in with Apple when available, or automatically generate a new secure password."

Doesn't mean a whole lot to me, maybe you can make sense of it.

Bob

Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

Me either I just changed my password.