older CGE mount

Discuss Celestron mounts.
radarsski
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

older CGE mount

Post by radarsski »

I traded my CPC 800 XLT to a fellow for a Hyper-tuned CGE mount. It is certainly a beefy mount but I would like to hear from any folks that own one and see if I can get some tricks or info on how to best use it. The CPC was way to hard to try to image with and even with the Heavy Duty wedge it was too much hassle and I could only track for a few minutes if that. Glads I found the new forums. I jumped ship from AF. There are some great people there but I didnt feel good working with an unsecured site.
this is the CGE mount
this is the CGE mount
astro cge mount.jpg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
The bitterest truth is better than the sweetest lie....Griff
Mike_Lewis United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Re: older CGE mount

Post by Mike_Lewis »

One of the guys I image with uses this mount, though his is not Hypertuned. He has a C11 mounted on it with a Mono CCD. He has a focal reducer bringing the f/ down to 6.3 I think. He uses a small, I think 50mm, guide scope and a Lodestar autoguide system. He runs PHD2 for guiding and runs the rig with APT. After getting everything software wise set up everything works fine for long exposure astrophotography.

The CGE series scopes have software in the system called All Star Polar Alignment. I use Celestron mounts as well and never found ASPA to give me adequate results for anything longer than about 5 minute exposures on a good night. I spent many night trying to perfect my use of ASPA without any real success. After my experience with ASPA I started using PHD2 Drift Alignment Tool which worked well enough to give me a 30 minute exposure one night, but could be very time consuming.

My imaging friends and I, all Celestron mount users, have gone to PoleMaster for polar alignment. It costs a few hundred bucks, but it works really well and is very quick to use. The CGE does not come with a way to use a polar alignment scope which is where the PoleMaster is typically mounted. My friend that uses the CGE mounts his PoleMaster on a bracket and dovetail mounted on top of his OTA. This seems to work out really well for him.

If you have any particular questions post them here and I'll answer as well as I can. I prefer this to PM because it archives the information as a resource for others in the future.
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

I use a CGEM as a mount for my set-up. PHD2 showed me that I needed to give my mount a tune-up, especially the DEC. Sadly Celestron wants everyone to ship their mount.... The internet is full of suggestions, some good some not-so-much. I finally found a web site that looked to address the issues PHD2 had identified. Just so happens that the people who wrote the instructions I used are the people who made and market the hyper-tune kits.

I followed the instructions and improved my guiding (and Tracking for visual) substantially. I also learned that the manual that came with my mount is deficient in even standard maintenance advice. Here is the link to the tune-up procedure I used. https://www.deepspaceproducts.com/docs/ ... nt_New.pdf

Because of my vocation I subscribe to the philosophy of "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it". I'd try the mount guiding with PHD2 before messin' with it.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
radarsski
Earth Ambassador

Post by radarsski »

Thanx Mike and Ohno, I am always glad to get info from you folks on the forums. I will try both ways to try to PA and if all goes well i will be able to save some money. The PHD2 sounds good and The ASAP I'll give a try. They do make a polar scope for the CGE but I have looked high and low for it and cant find one for sale.I looked at Altair guide scopes and PA setups and they have a guide scope camera combo: https://www.altairastro.com/Altair-60mm ... COMBO.html: they say it will guide and also get you polar aligned. it is around 300 USD. I am going to get an 8" Orion f/3.9 Newtonian astrograph that they make especially for AP and they give you tube extensions to use to see through the eyepiece. People have told me that it will be like a kite in the wind but I have a wind break I made out of PVC and tarps that will solve that. I live in Northwest Oregon and it gets darn cold on windy nights. Getting late and I have an appt. with a sawbones tomorrow so I'm outta here. Thanks to you both and I'll let you know how things go.
Clear skies,
Radarsski
p.s. OhNo, I see toy have the SW Quattro 8". Is that a Noot? If so please give me your opinion and if you have any images please share.
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

You're correct, I do use a SW 8" Quattro astrograph (newtonian) for AP. It is guided with a 60mm guide scope and ZWO ASI 120MM camera. I can use either a Canon DSLR with Coma corrector or my Atik Infinity. The setup gives me a fairly wide FOV.

That all said it is a bit north of the 50% rule for a mount (weights in at 24lbs ready to go).

It has been a good scope for me given my AP budget.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
radarsski
Earth Ambassador

Post by radarsski »

OhNo, I just tracked my new telescope and it is in Roseburg, Oregon about 100 miles from my house. Hope top see it soon. Ill get it setup and post pix. I see a fair price for an Orion Guide scope guider combo but they want more than I am wanting to spend. I have downlowed as much software as i can find and also PHD2. Can you suggest an affordable guide scope and guider that would work well and not break the bank?
Thanks and clear skies,
Radarsski
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

LOL I am the last one you should be asking about purchases of new equipment. Retail pricing of astronomy gear in Canada is crazy high!!! This is partly due to me having to use the poor value Canadian Dollar. However, this might work to your advantage, you having the mighty(er) Greenback.....

One thing you may (or not) be aware of is the ratio of your guide scope to imaging scope. Bladekeeper (Bryan) has looked into this issue that was brought up over at AF..... You may want to also look at a OAG (Off Axis Guider) for yourself. With my current imaging set-up I can not use a OAG due to the Comma Corrector I have. It is too long to not run in to the OAG diagonal mirror.

That all said, here are the two retailer pages of guide scopes available to me in Canada (with Canuck Buck prices listed)..... https://www.ontariotelescope.com/Guidescopes_c_257.html
https://www.all-startelescope.com/sales ... Path=65_84

Your guiding camera (like an imaging camera) depends a lot of the set-back of the camera for focus. Check to make sure you have all the bits-and-pieces available before you hit the buy button!!!!!

***Edit*** With the trade wars ramping up, the US consumer is seeing increased pricing on most stuff produced in China and retailed from American outfits. Also, I rarely see price roll-backs once the price has been boosted, Walmart does not have much in the astronomy line of equipment!!! :lol: