Free fix for replacing AVX motor board with new ver

Discuss Celestron mounts.
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Free fix for replacing AVX motor board with new ver

Post by StarLord101 »

So, I had an lxd75 that while loved, was just one headache after another. I wasn't in a position to pickup a brand new mount that would exceed what I already had in terms of performance and quality, but I wanted an AVX. Well, fate brought me a blessing and a curse. I found a used AVX that had the motor control board fried from a misplaced cable, BUT, it came with the replacement board that just needed to be installed and the 6" newt + hardware for a significantly reduced price over new. The caveat being install the new board myself, which I jumped at because I'm no engineer or experienced electrical guy, but I've swapped boards and soldered them many a time. I got home and the first thing that indicated a problem was when lining up the new board in the avx trim panel. The dec socket seemed to be too wide to get through it. A little research told me that Celestron had redesigned the board in later revisions to use an rju45 8p8c (8 pin 8 connector) jack for the dec to prevent all the motor board death from people mixing up cables. The original which I had used the same 6p6c rj12 socket for everything. And the only way you could use this newer board to replace the older 6pin version, was to pay an extra $105 dollars before shipping for a conversion kit. I was left fuming. Then I wondered, couldn't I just make a cable with the 8pm connector on one end for the new motor board socket, and the other end the orignal 6pin? Well that is only possible if those extra two pins on the new board weren't used or incorporated into the board for functions. I found a thread that started off seemingly completely unrelated, where someone with a electronic engineer background did a deep dive, and discovered that yes, the only difference is the connector size. The extra 2 pins on the newer connector are just left disconnected or used as extra ground pins. Further, he then posted the cable pinout for a 8pin to 6pin cable that was the exact idea I had been contemplating, and multiple people were confirming this worked beautifully. I can add my voice to that positive affirmation. The only other change that is needed is to shave off about 1mm on each side of the existing dec slot on the plastic cover to accommodate the larger socket, which can been done with any reasonably sharp knife or blade if you don't want to use tools. I used a box cutter and quite literally just shaved a few slices of plastic from each side, and it still looks like the original trim, not a mod or hack job. I'm posting this because the fried motor seems to have been a massive problem for the mounts with the 6pin dec socket. However, if you order a replacement board, they will only send you the newer kind and have discontinued the original. It seems ridiculous to be in that situation where even scope dealers weren't aware of that problem until they encountered it. It took quite a bit of browsing and following thread links to finally get to this gold ticket, so consider it paying it forward.
LXD75 GEM mount used with 90mm Meade Refractor, 102mm Celestron reflector, and a deforked Original Meade ETX Mak
Canon T1i stock
Various modified or 3d printed DIY enhancements or tweaks
Does a kids sunglass lens count as a fancy filter? Cause I have lots of those :)
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Re: Free fix for replacing AVX motor board with new ver

Post by StarLord101 »

LXD75 GEM mount used with 90mm Meade Refractor, 102mm Celestron reflector, and a deforked Original Meade ETX Mak
Canon T1i stock
Does a kids sunglass lens count as a fancy filter? Cause I have lots of those :)
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Sorry, not meaning to post links to another astro site, but in this case, it's not my content, I can only link to the original authors findings
Canon T1i stock
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello Starlord I hope the AVX mount will work fine for you. :)

A suggestion (ignore completely if you wish), being 05:30 here and still partly asleep your discussion would be much easier to read if it was broken into paragraphs.

I am having a hard time reading this as one large block.

You do need to be careful with any mount plugging the wrong connector into the wrong slot. Celestron made the mistake of putting the two as the same socket and close together.
A recipe for disaster in the dark.

Looking forward to your time out with the AVX mount :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:59 am Hello Starlord I hope the AVX mount will work fine for you. :)

A suggestion (ignore completely if you wish), being 05:30 here and still partly asleep your discussion would be much easier to read if it was broken into paragraphs.

I am having a hard time reading this as one large block.

You do need to be careful with any mount plugging the wrong connector into the wrong slot. Celestron made the mistake of putting the two as the same socket and close together.
A recipe for disaster in the dark.

Looking forward to your time out with the AVX mount :)
Guessing this is what happens when typing from a phone on mobile site mode. There should be paragraphs absolutely. And I have you to thank lol. Because you kept throwing out the Avx in my lxd75 threads. You put it in my head.

Sadly, although the cable this article relates to works fine, after installing the new motor board, when I plug it in and hit the power switch..... Nothing. Not a flicker, not an led or noise and that's without the Dec cable for starters and then tested with it. Re checked the motor board to make sure no loose connections or disconnected stuff, reseated the power jack connection to the board, absolutely nothing. And that is with a tip positive connection too that matches the specs for the avx one....

I can't believe after all my lxd75 fun, I decided it's time to move up to something with a better reputation and quality etc... So I can stop spending so much time fussing and spend more time actually using. Only to have weird bs as well. Synta conspiracy? Haha. I could bring this one back, but I got a sweet deal, and then have to pay an extra $400 Canadian for the new head when this used head was mechanically good but with a new motor board needed and provided within the price.
Canon T1i stock
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Why can't I edit the original post to fix the formatting? No option visible?
Canon T1i stock
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

StarLord101 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:42 am Why can't I edit the original post to fix the formatting? No option visible?

You don't get very long to edit a post before the edit button leaves the building! After that you're stuck with it, or you could ask a Mod to sort it.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Even if the new board were broken it should still let you plug in the hand controller and it should light up should it not? I presume yours does not?

I wonder if there is something with the power jack. Mine is kind of loose, it still works but some day I will have to fix it.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If you are using the LXD power cord the end is to large for the AVX, which requires a 5.5 x 2.1mm.
The LXD is a 5.5 x 2.5mm so does not make correct contact.

Check the nexstarsite.com to see if there are perhaps pinout drawings of the cable so you can build one.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:50 pm Even if the new board were broken it should still let you plug in the hand controller and it should light up should it not? I presume yours does not?

I wonder if there is something with the power jack. Mine is kind of loose, it still works but some day I will have to fix it.
That's what I would have thought right? From what I read I should have at least powered on and given error code
Canon T1i stock
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:40 pm If you are using the LXD power cord the end is to large for the AVX, which requires a 5.5 x 2.1mm.
The LXD is a 5.5 x 2.5mm so does not make correct contact.

Check the nexstarsite.com to see if there are perhaps pinout drawings of the cable so you can build one.
Haha, no definitely did not use the lxd cord or barrel. But I did use one that works on another celestron and fits a bit more snugly albeit minus the threaded collar. And one that fit it well but using ac plugin instead if it was something to do with the cigarette adapter even though the led on it lights up.
Canon T1i stock
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

The AVX comes with a cigarette lighter power cord and threaded collar, did yours not come with one? I would definitely make sure that your connector reaches the contacts. I just tried turning my AVX on, when I press the toggle switch the red LED under AUX2 turns on (you did press the toggle switch, right?)
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:59 pm The AVX comes with a cigarette lighter power cord and threaded collar, did yours not come with one? I would definitely make sure that your connector reaches the contacts. I just tried turning my AVX on, when I press the toggle switch the red LED under AUX2 turns on (you did press the toggle switch, right?)
I'm going to assume by toggle switch you are referring to the only switch on the board, the on/off. Yes most definitely many times and those connections were heat shrunk onto the switch so they haven't changed. And I also reseated the connector from the switch to the board.

To clarify my odd situation: I got a deal where I would get everything new that came in the avx box including tripod, hand controller, 6" newt and hardware, except a used avx head that had been waiting for a new motor control board to arrive. I got a seriously good price considering the new motor Cobtrol board even came with it and just needed installed. But they were keeping the new avx head and its power cord for sale.

For me to give up on this and swap it out for the new head and cable will cost me an extra $400!! So you can see why I would be motivated for this to work out lol
Canon T1i stock
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Sorry I can't think of anything that would help. I found some references that you may want to check.

Here's someone who faced the same 8 to 6 pin issue that you had, and how he rewired it: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5019 ... ?p=6799576

Here's one of our members who also had to replace his board, http://www.astronomyforum.net/telescope ... 1058576162 , I think he is here under the same name, he may be able to help.
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Thanks everyone. Sadly, that amazing deal seems to have not meant to be. The amazing staff at Markarian fine optics in Vancouver actually drove out a brand new celestron power adapter directly to my front door due to the headaches (tell me that's not above and beyond!) with the owner himself bringing it to try and sort it all out.

What we discovered was that the barrel on this was also quite loose and wouldn't power it either even when held in contact. They then proceeded to pull out the brand new original cigarette adapter with the threaded collar that comes with the new avx in box to try it on the mount, and very oddly, the threaded collar couldn't reach the threads!! It's as if the socket was too shallow or the cable barrel too long even though they are from the identical model mount. There was nothing broken off or weird looking in and at the used power socket, but plain and simple, the threaded power cable did not seem to fit the socket. Which makes very little sense.

Of the very many threads and sites I've read talking about the avx, the new board and changes made, I did not come across anything that suggested the actual connection had changed. In fact, that was the original socket and I simply connected it's two pin connector to the board in the same spot it had been on the original board. Very possible I just missed that mention, but no connector worked. Of course, the instant that same cable touched the new avx head socket it lit up like a Christmas tree. So fate is telling me time to go with what works :)
Canon T1i stock