PHD2 after Meridian Flip

Discuss guiding here
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

PHD2 after Meridian Flip

Post by Jockinireland »

I have not been guiding for long - maybe 4 sessions - so still incrementally adding things but generally it is going really well.

The one problem is that PHD2 will not automatically restart guiding after and automatic meridian flip carried out by APT.

There is a message saying that guiding was stopped as scope slewed, and a message saying star lost. So I'm thinking that APT is not telling PHD2 to stop guiding nor telling it to recommence after guiding. I've search to find a wrong setting in either APT or PHD2 but cant see anything obvious that is wrong.

When I hit autoselect star and "start guiding" it goes ahead perfectly - but that means I need to get out of my bed! :(

Any suggestions?

Regards

David.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: PHD2 after Meridian Flip

Post by UlteriorModem »

That has to be some setting in APT. PHD Only follows commands as in start, stop, etc. Evidently it is not getting the command to re-start.

I dont use APT but hopefully someone can help you with that.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

There is a "side of pier" command that needs to come from ASCOM to APT or vice versa so they can report that to PHD2. PHD2 needs to know this so it can flip the calibration data to give the correct guide commands. I can never remember where "side of pier" originates from. Look into that.

JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

It is supposed to be reported by the mount / controller.

I had an issue with the CGX-L at first as it was not reporting side of pier. Fortunatly Celestron was aware of the problem and they put out a firmware update which fixed it.

May not be relevant to the OP in this case but something to consider.
Tom

Current Equipment:
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

David - there are two places I would look first (and you most likely already have). In the PHD2 Tools menu, make sure "Enable Server" is checked. In APT, click on the Gear tab and then the Guide selection. In the box that appears make sure you have set the PHD/LG IP address and PHD/LG Port. In my setup the IP address is the loopback address 127.0.0.1 and the port is 4400.

I'm guessing you've already checked these but I'll throw them out there just in case. What version of PHD2 and APT are you using? This might be a good question for the APT forum as well.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

bobharmony wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:36 pm David - there are two places I would look first (and you most likely already have). In the PHD2 Tools menu, make sure "Enable Server" is checked. In APT, click on the Gear tab and then the Guide selection. In the box that appears make sure you have set the PHD/LG IP address and PHD/LG Port. In my setup the IP address is the loopback address 127.0.0.1 and the port is 4400.

I'm guessing you've already checked these but I'll throw them out there just in case. What version of PHD2 and APT are you using? This might be a good question for the APT forum as well.

Bob
Thanks Bob, server is definately enabled but I've never touched the PHD/LG IP address and PHD/LG Port. I've just looked and its the same as yours. But, i'm wondering where and when APT gets that IP address and the port number. Because the first time i set this up I probably used direct cable from mount to computer but now I'm going through a USB hub. So i wonder if that may have changed the portnumber (and you can probably tell I am now way out of my IT depth!!)

rgds

David.
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Jockinireland wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:58 pm
bobharmony wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:36 pm David - there are two places I would look first (and you most likely already have). In the PHD2 Tools menu, make sure "Enable Server" is checked. In APT, click on the Gear tab and then the Guide selection. In the box that appears make sure you have set the PHD/LG IP address and PHD/LG Port. In my setup the IP address is the loopback address 127.0.0.1 and the port is 4400.

Bob
Thanks Bob, server is definately enabled but I've never touched the PHD/LG IP address and PHD/LG Port. I've just looked and its the same as yours. But, i'm wondering where and when APT gets that IP address and the port number. Because the first time i set this up I probably used direct cable from mount to computer but now I'm going through a USB hub. So i wonder if that may have changed the portnumber (and you can probably tell I am now way out of my IT depth!!)

rgds

David.
Hi David,

These are my settings if that might help.
APT Guide Settings.JPG
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Can you see the allocated port numbers in Windows Device Manager?

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

His comm should be fine if everything is working correctly prior to a flip, no?
Tom

Current Equipment:
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:07 pm
Jockinireland wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:58 pm

Bob

rgds

David.
Hi David,

APT Guide Settings.JPG
Hi Jim,

Thanks for that, I note that you have the "control guiding" box checked. I dont. And looking in the APT Manual it states it must be checked for Automated meridian Flip. So I think you may have resolved my problem. You are a star (hehe - see what i did there??? :joking: )

:text-thankyouyellow:

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Jockinireland wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:12 pm
Juno16 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:07 pm

Hi David,

APT Guide Settings.JPG
Hi Jim,

Thanks for that, I note that you have the "control guiding" box checked. I dont. And looking in the APT Manual it states it must be checked for Automated meridian Flip. So I think you may have resolved my problem. You are a star (hehe - see what i did there??? :joking: )

:text-thankyouyellow:
I did!!!

Good to hear that. I remember reading that too.

Get lucky every now and then!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Yep - that's the missing piece. Allowing APT to control guiding needs to be on, as APT directs PHD2 to resume guiding after the flip.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

bobharmony wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:56 am Yep - that's the missing piece. Allowing APT to control guiding needs to be on, as APT directs PHD2 to resume guiding after the flip.

Bob
Yup! And you know what, I'm usually very good for reading manuals and instructions so I'm not really very sure how I missed this one - or could not find it afterwards! But I think AP is probably one of the most complex things I've ever done. There are just so many interconnecting components and processes and they all have to be 100% correct to end up with a usable image.

But I guess for me that is part of why it keeps my interest - its like a brain work-out every time I try to take an image.

:happy-wavemulticolor:

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

That's one of the aspects that this 'hobby' has held my interest for so long. So many aspects from the mechanical, electrical, programming, and "Art" (processing).

Even after several years and probably forever, there is always something new to learn and try.
Tom

Current Equipment: