Off Axis guider focusing

Discuss guiding here
JeffBevan United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Off Axis guider focusing

Post by JeffBevan »

Can I get some hints or tricks for setting up my off Axis guider ie. focusing the guide camera vs. the imaging camera? I'm using the Orion thin off axis guider unit and their Autoguider Pro camera.
Home built dome, 12" Meade LX 200 OTA, cem 60 ec, sbig stf 8300c, Starshoot AutoGuider Pro, Orion Off-axis
patience!
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Off Axis guider focusing

Post by yobbo89 »

Phd star profile fwhm, run auto focus or use bahitnov mask for the main camera., does your aog have a helix focuser?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Start with the basic mechanics. You will need to know the backfocus of your imaging and guide camera.

I start by making a sketch of things.

Image20171213_202910 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Arranged things so that the length of the path to the imaging sensor of the guide camera and the imaging camera are about the same. Some spacers may be required.

Once that is determined focus with the imaging camera as best you can. Once that point is found then start moving the guide camera by whatever method in or out without changing the main focuser position until the guide camera is also in focus.

It can be a bit fiddly as every time you move the guide camera you will loose 'lock' on the star, or it may even move out of the frame entirely requiring you to move the mount a little to get a star in the frame of the guide camera.

Once it's set lock it down and you should not have to fuss with it anymore.

One more annoying thing that can happen is that some guide cameras will only show a wall of noise until it is close to focus and suddenly the star with a dark background will pop into view. This is why you strive to get the mechanical distances the same at the start.

Work slowly and carefully it's not as hard as it might seem.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I can tell you that I thought I had focus on my guide camera. But it wasn't until I ended up accidentally in a group of APers that it became very obvious that I was. The Orion TOAG comes with a variety of spacers. I have ASI cameras and I know that I used two different spacers. I hadn't realized that the guide camera needed a separate/different spacer. Suddenly my guiding stars went from 8 or 9 strength to 60+. We'll need more details on the cameras to be any more accurate, but I suspect you should have the spacers already.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

His sig states he has a Star Shoot Autoguider pro. It looks like a decent guide camera. Better than the Star shoot at least.

But I went and looked at Orions spec page for that camera and I could not find where it mentions the cameras back focus!

So I had to dredge up the manual which lists it at 10.4 mm
Tom

Current Equipment:
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

What all have said is good. But sometimes there is no star in the tiny FOV of the autoguider. So, when fiddling with my setup, I center of a big star cluster, chances are you will have a star in the autoguider window. M44 and M35 both come to mind this time of year.

Good luck,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

So far, my experience has shown that there is always at least one star. Sometimes, though I have to use PHD2's auto select guide star in order to find one. And then sometimes I have to take longer exposures. I try to maintain 1.5-2 seconds, but because of LP or whatever I've been forced to 3 seconds, though that is stretching updates pretty thin. Worst case, of course, is just let the mount do it's thing unguided and be prepared to throw out some portion of images (in my case roughly 5-10%).
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

Star Dad wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:24 pm I try to maintain 1.5-2 seconds, but because of LP or whatever I've been forced to 3 seconds, though that is stretching updates pretty thin.
Exposures of three seconds aren't necessarily bad. Adjustments will be less frequent, but you may be chasing the "seeing" with shorter exposures. From the PHD2 manual describing exposure time and star selection:--

As the exposure time is increased up through 2-4 seconds, the effects of seeing are smoothed out. The camera is essentially averaging out the larger, high-frequency seeing movements, so the guide algorithms have less difficulty distinguishing "seeing jitter" from actual guide star displacements that need to be corrected. This is particularly noticeable if you are guiding with a long focal length setup. Of course, the convenience of using longer exposures must be traded off against the need for the mount to get frequent corrections.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

3 seconds is not long at all.

One thing that may help you if your camera supports it is to tryin binning. That will increase the 'sensitivity'.

Also there is a slider bar in phd to change the brightness of the display. It has no impact on the program and or guiding whatsoever other than making the display easier to see.
Tom

Current Equipment: