Discuss guiding here
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Orion's total sollution?

Post by Larry 1969 »

Hello all!

After a few imaging sessions I've determined that I hate the polar alignment process... :flame:
I was advised to use Sharpcap Pro but that won't work with my DSLR so here I am...

Since I plan to start guiding at some point I was looking at guide scope / camera options when I came across this.

A couple of questions. Would this be a suitable solution for me? As in will it compliment my set up? 8" F3.9 reflector with APS-C sized DSLR sensor.
And, would I be able to execute Sharpcap's polar alignment routine with this set up? And will it work with Windows 10 64 bit?

Thanks!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Orion's total sollution?

Post by yobbo89 »

I use phd which has a really good polar alighnment drift tool, the guide scope is fine with your setup.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

It will work just fine, but I have to be honest I was not all that impressed with the "Star Shoot" camera.

Once you do get a guide scope and camera and PHD2 you can use the 'drift alignment' feature of PHD2 to fine tune your polar alignment.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

You should be able to use that with SharpCap's polar alignment routine just fine. That has been my typical process for quite some time.
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

This what I use for my camera and lens for a SharpCap PA because my DSLR and SharpCap don't play well together!

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

as tom said he didn't like the starshoot camera ,which i think it may be due to sensitivity ,might be good to clarify why you didn't like it tom just to aid for op in a good purchase.

just to add on to that,sometime you'll find a spot in the sky where stars are dim and very few,typically in galaxy season and even a shorter focal length guide scope/wider view will not help too much in finding something to guide on hence it is pretty helpful to buy a sensitive enough camera for guiding.sometimes you'll have to bump up the exposure length on dim parts of the sky but it's not ideal to be running 5+ second exposures.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks for the replies!
So the 50mm guide scope with helical focuser would be good but the camera not so much?
Yobbo89, That link you provided takes me to several cameras that use that particular sensor. Any of those would be a good match?

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Larry - I have been using the StarShoot as a guide camera since I started guiding. The scope I use is the Orion ST-80. With that combination, I have never had a problem finding a guide start in its field of view. I also use scope rings to attach it to the mount, which gives me good control of flex. That was my biggest concern with the 50mm and the shoe mount.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Yea I should have qualified my statement.

I used the Star Shoot for a while but found it to be kind of 'numb' as in low sensitivity and could not achieve a sharp image.

The camera is quite serviceable, and works okay for it's price range. I also tried an ASI1600 which was better but still did not meet my expectations. Especially when I started using off axis guiding.

But I guess I am spoiled with my starlight express, but it is quite expensive.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks Bob!
Could you post a pic when you get a chance? I'm not sure about the "scope rings attached to the mount" part.

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Larry 1969 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:36 pm Thanks Bob!
Could you post a pic when you get a chance? I'm not sure about the "scope rings attached to the mount" part.

Larry
Sure thing, Larry. Here is my main OTA (C6n) with the guidescope piggybacked on top.
IMG_6946.jpg
Since I took this picture, I have removed the finder because I don't need it anymore, and rotated the OTA so the focuser faces toward the mount to move the center of gravity of the setup closer to the RA axis. This in turn allows me to move the counterweights further up the shaft and reduces the load on the motors (I hope!).

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks again Bob!
So you use the ST-80 along with the StatShoot camera with good results? Is there another camera in the $300 range that would perform better? I can save up a bit longer if needed.
In order to attach a set up like this to my OTA I would need a mounting plate (dovetail bar?) and rings that would fit the guide tube?
I was pretty successful taking 3 min subs unguided but when I pushed to 5 min I had to toss a lot of data...

I have read about rotating the OTA so that the focuser is at the bottom but it just seems weird and I'm not crazy about inserting my camera upside down.

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Larry 1969 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:43 pm Thanks again Bob!
So you use the ST-80 along with the StatShoot camera with good results? Is there another camera in the $300 range that would perform better? I can save up a bit longer if needed.
In order to attach a set up like this to my OTA I would need a mounting plate (dovetail bar?) and rings that would fit the guide tube?
I was pretty successful taking 3 min subs unguided but when I pushed to 5 min I had to toss a lot of data...

I have read about rotating the OTA so that the focuser is at the bottom but it just seems weird and I'm not crazy about inserting my camera upside down.

Larry
Larry - I have used this combination for three years and never had a hiccup, so I am not looking for another camera. It works for me, I stick with it. If you wanted to use the guide camera for other purposes as well, you could look at something better. I have no recommendations, as I haven't gone down that road. A couple of others have recommended cameras that yield a better quality image.

Yes, there is a second dovetail and rings. The dovetail bolts on top of the OTA rings and holds the rings for the guidescope, so any rigid bar with holes in the right places would work as well. A lot of rings for guidescopes have plastic thumbscrews to hold the scope in place and to adjust pointing. I went for tight fitting rings instead to keep as much rigidity as possible in the setup. As a result, my OTA and guidescope aren't exactly aligned, but they are close. The object in the center of the OTA field of view is present in the guidescope FOV, just not centered. It hasn't presented any problem thus far.

I was reluctant to rotate the OTA inward too, but it really help with steadiness and getting nice round stars. I wrap the camera strap around the OTA when imaging so it won't drop to the ground if it ever comes loose from the focuser. I use the scope almost exclusively for AP, so don't have to flip it around to put the focuser in a good place for visual work.

Bob

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Larry,

I also use the SSAG with the Orion 50 mm guide scope with helical focuser (the Magnificent Mini). It was a cinch to set up in the daytime and I focused it only at the initial setup.

Works very well with Sharpcap pro. I PA with it each session. Never had a single issue.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/