Running out of hair

Discuss guiding here
jrm_astro
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Running out of hair

Post by jrm_astro »

For the last two weeks i have been trying to resolve a guiding issue.

Since installing ASCOM/APT for mount and camera control, PHD2 will not guide or calibrate.

I have run the whole set up with APT and SGP. I can get all other features to work (platesolving etc) but not guiding.
I have tried to run PHD2 alone, not connected through APT/SGP and its still a mess.
I have had all the error messages listed in the PHD2 manual at different times.
I have replaced cables, run separate USB cables to all cameras and handset (bypassing the hub), manually aligned...on and on.

I am now so confused I don't even know what to ask.

Is it possibly ASCOM and something else talking over each other?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Right now I pretty much have an extremely expensive boat anchor :(
Scope - Skywatcher ED80
Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5
Guiding - Orion 50mm guide with ZWO ASI120MM-S
Imaging - ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool, ZWO Filter wheel, LRGB, Ha Sii Oiii and Dark frame filters
Software - APT, PS2, ASPS, PHD2, BYE, ASCOM, Stellarium, PI, PS.
Sky - Bortle 5
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Running out of hair

Post by JimMinCT »

Have you checked the "enable server" box?
Do a quick google search for it and it may clear things up for you...
Good luck!
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

is your camera working in phd ? if not swap over from ascom to the direct driver vice versa. what is your most common error in phd ? , you should be able to slew and nudge manually in phd to test the connection to the mount.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

I had a very similar issue when I started with PHD2 a few months back, and it was the easiest fix in the world... I entered in the wrong focal length for my guide scope. You have probably already put in all the correct info for your gear when using the setup wizard, but just in case you haven't I thought I'd throw it out there :D lol good luck!
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
jrm_astro
Earth Ambassador

Post by jrm_astro »

JimMinCT wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:21 pm Have you checked the "enable server" box?
Do a quick google search for it and it may clear things up for you...
Good luck!
Hi Jim, enable server box is checked.
Maybe I'll try unchecking it and see if I can run PHD alone.

Cheers
Scope - Skywatcher ED80
Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5
Imaging - ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool, ZWO Filter wheel, LRGB, Ha Sii Oiii and Dark frame filters
Sky - Bortle 5
jrm_astro
Earth Ambassador

Post by jrm_astro »

yobbo89 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:57 pm is your camera working in phd ? if not swap over from ascom to the direct driver vice versa. what is your most common error in phd ? , you should be able to slew and nudge manually in phd to test the connection to the mount.
Hey Yob,

Camera is working as normal in PHD. I have tried using both ASCOM driver and direct. I'll check the manual operation again but has been working fine and I will be opening the mount up for a look to check for any obvious problem.
Errors lately have been, 'too few steps in calibration'. But I have also had 'Too little east or south movement' and 'Questionable RA and Dec rates'. These can change between each attempt.

Once or twice it has guided perfectly for a few minutes, then the graph splits and (from Memory) the RA goes to the top of the graph and the dec stays around the 0 point.

Cheers
Scope - Skywatcher ED80
Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5
Sky - Bortle 5
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

In your ASCOM driver are all the properties it needs filled in - like com port, track mode, focal length, aperture, location, elevation, etc? These show up in my Celestron telescope drivers setup. Not sure what your drivers are asking for. It would be under the properties button when ASCOM starts and shows the ASCOM window.
ASCOM Setup.jpg
Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

jrm_astro
Earth Ambassador

Post by jrm_astro »

Latest test results.

Mount will pulse using ASCOM EQMOD controller on all rates (1-4) and in all directions with ST-4 or ASCOM pulse guiding selected.
In PHD2 North and South will pulse, but no East or West movement. After clicking the pulse East button many times I got 'Pulse guide command has failed'.

Also, and i'm not sure if this matters, when i pulse in EQMOD on North the numbers go up. E.g. Up from 180 degrees at park position.
In PHD2 when i pulse North the numbers go down from 180 degrees.

Cheers
Scope - Skywatcher ED80
Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5
Sky - Bortle 5
jrm_astro
Earth Ambassador

Post by jrm_astro »

JayTee wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:24 am In your ASCOM driver are all the properties it needs filled in - like com port, track mode, focal length, aperture, location, elevation, etc? These show up in my Celestron telescope drivers setup. Not sure what your drivers are asking for. It would be under the properties button when ASCOM starts and shows the ASCOM window.
ASCOM Setup.jpg

Cheers,
JT
Thanks JT I am pretty sure I did set this up. Will double check.

Cheers
Scope - Skywatcher ED80
Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5
Sky - Bortle 5
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I've might of said it before on a previous thread of yours, have you tried bumping up the guide rate from the standard 0.5x to say 0.9 x ectt.

Also are you getting good frame rates in phd, ie. No sticky dropped frames at 0.5 sec exposure ectt. Some cameras work better in 8 bit for guiding and with lower usb bandwidth to get things running smoother without dropped frames, which you may get some errors with a camera that keeps dropping frames. Sorry for any reapeted questions, just double checking

You might want to start uploading a guide log,have you checked if phd has a forum?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

jrm_astro
Earth Ambassador

Post by jrm_astro »

yobbo89 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:57 am I've might of said it before on a previous thread of yours, have you tried bumping up the guide rate from the standard 0.5x to say 0.9 x ectt.

Also are you getting good frame rates in phd, ie. No sticky dropped frames at 0.5 sec exposure ectt. Some cameras work better in 8 bit for guiding and with lower usb bandwidth to get things running smoother without dropped frames, which you may get some errors with a camera that keeps dropping frames. Sorry for any reapeted questions, just double checking

You might want to start uploading a guide log,have you checked if phd has a forum?
Hey Yob,

Haven't changed the guide rate as I didn't really get that far. Can't even get a calibration.
Frames seem fine. I haven't changed anything on PHD since my pre-ASCOM days so all of that should be ok?
I have looked through the PHD troubleshooting and will try a forum. I think they have one. I wonder if a guide log would help if it isn't getting to guiding stage? Might pick up the calibration error. I shall look in to this.

As above I have narrowed it down to no East/West movement in manual guide mode, though ASCOM EQMOD will slew in all directions at all rates.
I've done away with the ST-4 cable and am only using ASCOM pulse guiding now.
I think this is where all the problems are coming from. Obviously if PHD can't move the mount East/West, it can't calibrate. Right?

Cheers for your help and suggestions. Very much appreciated.
Scope - Skywatcher ED80
Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5
Sky - Bortle 5
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Just another reason I junked PHD2 and went back to PHD 1.14. I think, maybe to many chiefs and not enough Indians messing with the code.

Or, maybe vice versa.
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

On a equatorial mount, north and south is the declination, east / west is Ra, you say that west and east has no effect in guiding, phd corispond north south, east west based on the camera orientation? This gets me thinking, are you only guiding with the right ascention?

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Ohh I see you can't get it to move in manual guiding. Dang.

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Here's the Google Groups link for PHD2:
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!for ... hd-guiding

I think this may be an EQMOD group topic to start. I don't have a link for them.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

jrm_astro
Earth Ambassador

Post by jrm_astro »

yobbo89 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:13 am Ohh I see you can't get it to move in manual guiding. Dang.
I was thinking maybe I was only guiding on one axis, but not being able to move at all manually makes me think there is a communication error somewhere. Ahhh the joys :(
Scope - Skywatcher ED80
Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5
Sky - Bortle 5
jrm_astro
Earth Ambassador

Post by jrm_astro »

sdbodin wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:15 am Just another reason I junked PHD2 and went back to PHD 1.14. I think, maybe to many chiefs and not enough Indians messing with the code.

Or, maybe vice versa.
Steve
Cheers Steve,

I'll have a look for this version and give it a run!
Scope - Skywatcher ED80
Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5
Sky - Bortle 5
jrm_astro
Earth Ambassador

Post by jrm_astro »

JayTee wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:30 am Here's the Google Groups link for PHD2:
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!for ... hd-guiding

I think this may be an EQMOD group topic to start. I don't have a link for them.

Cheers,
JT
Thanks for the link JT.
Heading there now!

Cheers
Scope - Skywatcher ED80
Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5
Sky - Bortle 5