Guide Scope

Discuss guiding here
jmfloater United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Guide Scope

Post by jmfloater »

Haven't you had enough rain in Arkansas?
John

Imaging scope Stellavue SV80S on a Losmandy G11 mount. Roll off roof observatory.
Software: PixInsight, SGPro, Phd2.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Well, I’m guiding. Running 3 minute exposures on M83 right now. :D
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Wow, Bryan, that is great!

That’s great that you can image a target so low. Anything under 40 degrees is swampy here!

Looking forward to your experiences!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

bladekeeper wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:06 am Holy cow.

Since it is completely socked in cloudy for the next decade, I've been playing with the guide scope and guide cam. I've got the whole rig set up in my living room. Added a USB 3.0 hub yesterday.

Anyway, everything is talking nicely. Even tried out NINA and all works like a charm. Just need some stars showing so I can try actual guiding.

Trying to help a feller out over on AF, I just hooked up mount and guide cam to the PC. Pointed the scope out of the back living room window. There is a travel trailer parked about 3/4 of a mile away. And we are in deep twilight now. Anyway, I could clearly see two gentlemen working on an ATV there in front of the travel trailer.

While I was fiddling with exposure, one of the guys stood up walked a bit in my direction, looked around, assumed "the stance", whipped it out and began urinating right there in PHD2. :lol:

I started laughing my head off and my wife and the boys came running. Fortunately, not much detail to be had but you could see the flash of the stream in the rapidly fading light. That was terrible but humorous timing. :lol:
Now there's a valid reason for setting limits on how close to the horizon your 'scope can be pointed!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

ARock wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:15 am I bought the 50mm version of the guidescope on ebay for about $60.
Still think it is too expensive compared to my $90 OTA :lol:
I bought the same 50mm. off Amazon, but that was over 2 and a half years ago.(More than a bit more $$) I wanted something to use with the SharpCap Polar Alignment routine and it fit the bill. Managed to guide well enough to teach PEC on my mount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0156 ... UTF8&psc=1
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux