Going after M42 with APT - part 2

Discuss guiding here
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Going after M42 with APT - part 2

Post by bobharmony »

I have to say this retirement thing is growing on me. Tonight was the second in a row with clear skies (although rather cold) and both weeknights no less, and I am out here working out issues and making progress. This could bode well for image captures in the future - fingers crossed.

So last night I failed to control the automated meridian flip in APT. Indeed as soon as I fired up APT it would try to start a flip even though my target hadn't even approached to meridian yet. Tonight, after setting up and getting my initial platesolve done, I started my imaging list first, then checked the box for AMF. That seemed to resolve the issue, and the flip happened at the right time, and with no issue, then my imaging session resumed. The pause was longer than I was expecting, but I'll take this as a success.

I also found that setting up my 6 image times as a vertical plan allowed me to get the method I wanted (to take 1 of each of the 6 exposure lengths, then dither for the next set of six) ran well without the need to set up a special loop of the sequence.

I had my first real experience with PointCraft and framing the target. What a wonderful tool that is. It also handled getting me exactly to the same framing after the Meridian flip - it is a very nice tool.

One thing I note is that the preview images after the flip have the same orientation as the pre-flip previews. I am hoping that is a cosmetic feature only, as I have shut off any sort of camera feature to rotate images, as it tend to mess up dark calibration if half the frames have been rotated and no longer match their orientation.

Last night and tonight is also the first time I have used the Win 10 Remote Desktop Connection to control the imaging PC from inside the warm house. I went for the Pro version of Win 10 so I could control the timing of updates with a group policy, RDC was just a nice add-on. It has worked well the two nights, and my feet and butt are warm, a nice change from my usual winter imaging story.

Finally I have to report that I was surprised at how light the reflection off a fresh coat of snow can make the sky. I have seen it before, but it is always an eye-opener for me.

I am working my 21st group of subs right now and will go another 30 minutes or so as M42 will be dropping below 30 degrees just after midnight. You'll have to wait a few days for the final process as I intend to try a full-on HDR integration for only the second time ever. And we have my granddaughters band concert tomorrow night, so there will be no record third straight night of imaging at this time.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

jrm_astro
Earth Ambassador

Re: Going after M42 with APT - part 2

Post by jrm_astro »

Hi Bob,

Great to hear how well APT is working for you. I'm quite new to it and have most things working well.
Had a quick look at the AMF function tonight and I'm intending to try it out soon.
Did you recalibrate PHD2 after the flip?

Cheers

John
Scope - Skywatcher ED80
Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5
Guiding - Orion 50mm guide with ZWO ASI120MM-S
Imaging - ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool, ZWO Filter wheel, LRGB, Ha Sii Oiii and Dark frame filters
Software - APT, PS2, ASPS, PHD2, BYE, ASCOM, Stellarium, PI, PS.
Sky - Bortle 5
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Bob,

Good to hear about your success with a APT and the flip. The automatic Meridian flip is a cool feature and I did have success early on with it, but I have found that I really need to focus about that time and will do that for now. Pointcraft works amazingly well for me too. I always blind solve it with a three second I SO 3200 exposure it takes about 10 to 15 seconds. I haven’t looked at the framing feature though and I could’ve used it on this last target. So much to learn, but I really like this software.
I also have windows 10 pro on my imaging laptop and also use group policy to control updates. Works very well. My desktop however has windows 10 home and does not support remote desktop. I have a very good success with TeamViewer though.

Really looking forward to HDR image of M 42!

Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

jrm_astro wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:27 am Bob,

Great to hear how well APT is working for you. I'm quite new to it and have most things working well.
Had a quick look at the AMF function tonight and I'm intending to try it out soon.

Cheers

John
Hi, John. I didn't recalibrate PHD2 after the flip. I am using the ASCOM connection through the PC to the scope, so it is aware of which side of the tripod the scope is on, and it adjusts accordingly. I don't usually calibrate at the start of a session either, as I don't remove the guidescope from the imaging scope, and I don't remove the guide camera from the guide scope. As nothing physical changes, there is no need to re-calibrate for each session.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Here's a teaser - I ran the 180 second subs through DSS 4.2.3 and Star Tools and this is what popped out the other side. Used the snipping tool to get this - it really beat up the details. The image has all the peripheral dustiness I was looking for in an solid M42. I'll be traveling the next couple of days so may not get to the rest until after the weekend.
M42 180 seconds ST snip.JPG
Bob

jrm_astro
Earth Ambassador

Post by jrm_astro »

bobharmony wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:56 pm
jrm_astro wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:27 am Bob,

Cheers

John
Hi, John. I didn't recalibrate PHD2 after the flip. I am using the ASCOM connection through the PC to the scope, so it is aware of which side of the tripod the scope is on, and it adjusts accordingly. I don't usually calibrate at the start of a session either, as I don't remove the guidescope from the imaging scope, and I don't remove the guide camera from the guide scope. As nothing physical changes, there is no need to re-calibrate for each session.

Bob
Thanks for the reply Bob.

Image is looking great.

John
Scope - Skywatcher ED80
Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5
Guiding - Orion 50mm guide with ZWO ASI120MM-S
Imaging - ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool, ZWO Filter wheel, LRGB, Ha Sii Oiii and Dark frame filters
Software - APT, PS2, ASPS, PHD2, BYE, ASCOM, Stellarium, PI, PS.
Sky - Bortle 5
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Bob,

Forgive me if you already posted this and I missed it.

How was your success with the HDR image of M42? Im not sure how to process such an image and was curious how yours went.

Also, how do you handle dark calibration files with multiple exposure times?

I might have a clear night tonight and I am trying to decide a target.

Thanks
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:29 pm Hi Bob,

Forgive me if you already posted this and I missed it.

How was your success with the HDR image of M42? Im not sure how to process such an image and was curious how yours went.

Also, how do you handle dark calibration files with multiple exposure times?

I might have a clear night tonight and I am trying to decide a target.

Thanks
Hi, Jim - you haven't missed anything. I have been struggling with the process and don't have anything worth showing yet. I probably won't have a chance to get back to it until Sunday.

The basic process involves stacking and processing each set of images separately, then putting them together for the HDR effect. So there is no special concern about different sets of darks, each gets matched with the same length lights in the stacking process.

Once the images are created and saved, I use the Layer module in StarTools to combine them. I have subs at 180, 60, 20, 7, 3, and 1 seconds. They get combined two at a time starting either with the two longest or two shortest images. For example, I could start with the 180 and 60 second images, replacing the saturated parts of the 180 with the 60 second result, and blending them seamlessly. Then I take the resulting image and combine with the 20 second image, and so on. Getting the blending correct is not trivial and that is where I am struggling.

I also tried starting with the shortest length images and working up to the longest. Blending went better in that direction, but I found it hard to keep all the detail intact as I added longer images. It is very much an art for me at this point, and less a science. Work will continue later in the weekend, I hope.

Bob

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:10 pm
Hi, Jim - you haven't missed anything. I have been struggling with the process and don't have anything worth showing yet. I probably won't have a chance to get back to it until Sunday.

The basic process involves stacking and processing each set of images separately, then putting them together for the HDR effect. So there is no special concern about different sets of darks, each gets matched with the same length lights in the stacking process.

Once the images are created and saved, I use the Layer module in StarTools to combine them. I have subs at 180, 60, 20, 7, 3, and 1 seconds. They get combined two at a time starting either with the two longest or two shortest images. For example, I could start with the 180 and 60 second images, replacing the saturated parts of the 180 with the 60 second result, and blending them seamlessly. Then I take the resulting image and combine with the 20 second image, and so on. Getting the blending correct is not trivial and that is where I am struggling.

I also tried starting with the shortest length images and working up to the longest. Blending went better in that direction, but I found it hard to keep all the detail intact as I added longer images. It is very much an art for me at this point, and less a science. Work will continue later in the weekend, I hope.

Bob
Sounds pretty detailed. I know that you enjoy processing and I’m sure that you will get the results that you are looking for.

I really didn’t understand about the darks. You do shoot darks at each exposure time?

If the weather is as expected, I hope to try M42, M1, or NGC 2174 the Monkey’s Head nebula. Steve did an impressive job with the Monkey’s Head and it is really in a good location for me to collect 3 hours. The Crab is on my todo list, but it is pretty small in my fov.

Mainly just want to get out and run everything. We will see.

Thanks for the info Bob and looking forward to your process. At least you have he data in the can.
Jim

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Jim, yes I shoot matching darks for each exposure time and match them with the corresponding lights of the same length. Actually I skipped the 1 and 3 second darks as I'm not sure how much they would be needed.

I'm not sure if I enjoy processing or if I am just obsessive about it. I do seem to spend a lot of time there.

Good luck tonight with whatever you decide to go after.

Bob

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the darks info. I just want to be sure that there wasn't a way to get around some of the darks.

I decided on the Money's Head. It is a bright nebula and shows well in the subs.

Guiding started out rough (averaging about 1.5 total error in arcsec). Really not bad though, about the usual. Now, at 1 minute from the meridian, it has settled down to averaging less than 1.0 consistently. So, the jury is still out. Getting ready to move to Sirius and focus, then try to catch another hour. I will post whenever I process and let you know how the overall guiding went.
Jim