Tracking vs Guiding

Discuss guiding here
bigfish
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Tracking vs Guiding

Post by bigfish »

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times but I want to be clear before I spend a fortune on the wrong equipment.
I have read this post 5 times but I'm still a little confused.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=914

I have an Orion SkyView Pro 8 EQ.
If I want to take pictures of the Moon and planets I can track them using the Orion GoTo upgrade kit?
If I want to take pictures of DSO I'll need to add a guide scope hooked up to the GoTo mount?
Does this sound about right?
The next thing I want to buy is the GoTo kit. Is this a logical move?
Thanks!
Bill
canvas (Medium).png
shopping.jpg
Redcat 51, Orion 8"x1000mm Reflector, ASI183MC Pro, ASI533MC Pro, ASI462MC, ASI120 Mini, SVBONY SV106 Guide Scope, ZWO Mini Guide Scope, Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, Sky view Pro.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Tracking vs Guiding

Post by Baskevo »

The GoTo kit will allow you to slew to targets and track. A guidescope will allow you to take images for longer than 20, 30, 40 + seconds (depending on how good your mount is) without star trails. but unfortunately, I do not think you will be able to do much in the way of astrophotography with this setup :( You might be able to do some really simple images, but I would save the money and put it toward a better mount.

If you are set on trying to do AP now with that budget, I would go for a small tracking mount (ioptron and skywatcher have them for $300 - $400), and attaching a DSLR with a lens onto it.

The mount you have has a payload capacity of only 20 lbs.
For astrophotography, you should cut that in half. The OTA itself weighs 16.5 lbs :(

If you are set on doing AP with that OTA, you can try to find a used EQ mount with a higher payload capacity, but it will be quite a bit more unfortunately :( There are some who do budget astrophotography, but it is not without a ton of headaches and hair loss :/
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I would agree, your mount is close to max capacity as it is with this telescope, still good for visual but it will struggle once you start putting the AP gear onto it.
Check prices on used mounts on craigslist, goodwill and such or places like Astro Parts Outlet
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
bigfish
Mars Ambassador

Post by bigfish »

Ok, so the problem is the mount is too small for this OTA.
Is this OTA sufficient for AP, if not what is it good for?
Redcat 51, Orion 8"x1000mm Reflector, ASI183MC Pro, ASI533MC Pro, ASI462MC, ASI120 Mini, SVBONY SV106 Guide Scope, ZWO Mini Guide Scope, Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, Sky view Pro.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

A quick look at the manual, it looks like you can fit a dslr to the scope, but no indication of prime focus, it states you need to insert eyepieces for Eyepiece projection imaging. so any quality deep sky imaging is a no go. fine for planets/moon.The intent design of the scope is for visual use,focusing for a camera will be difficult. you might want to look for an astrograph newt or a refractor if you want break the bank and go down the deep rabbit hole of astrophotography.

http://www.company7.com/library/orion/I ... ro_8EQ.pdf
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

The picture you have of the Goto Drive does seem to have a guiding port, so it should be able to guide using it, but check the manual for details of whether it acutally can.
As others have said the the OTA weighs too much for this mount making it difficult for AP. An easier way would be to mount a lighter weight refractor on the mount to do AP. These based on the quality of pictures you want can cost from $100 to $1000. This is similar to the EQ3-2 mount, so look at this thread for the kind of pictures you can take with this mount with different scopes and guiding.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/2790 ... challenge/

If you are into DIY electronics, you could also build the goto drive yourself, following examples on the ONSTEP site for a lot cheaper.
https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/home

FInally if you get the goto kit, be very careful about which cables go where. Plugging a wrong cable, can fry the circuit board.
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6696 ... d-mistake/
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Here's the one very important detail that has not yet been discussed. Not only will you need a guide scope, you need a guide camera. The guide camera through software like PHD2 is what tells the mount how to guide on the guidestar. Your mount may work for guiding inputs from PHD2 through the ASCOM drivers but the only way to really tell is to hook it all up and see. But none of this will work without a guide camera and your DSLR will not work for that.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

As far as AP is concerned I am a novice but my take on it, at this stage, is that you should not differentiate between tracking and guiding because its part of the same thing: To get good tracking one should tick all the boxes starting with your mount, there should be as little as possible play on your drives, balance must be spot on, drive training must be spot on, then you polar alignment should be near perfect, If you have PEG or PPEG, train it, then and only then you add guiding to get near perfect tracking. If your setup is not near perfect, guiding will certainly improve your tracking but it is not intended to cover up a bad setup! It is intended to improve a good setup. If you utilise all the attributes well you will have the best tracking your equipment can deliver.
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100