Discuss guiding here
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

OAG

Post by Astroglide65 »

Hello everybody,
I'm thinking about changing over to OAG, I'm looking for one that I can screw the 2" snout from my Sony a6000 into with the L-enhance filter screwed on into the focus tube. Then attach the camera to the backside and a 1-1/2" guide camera on top. I've looked over several online but the thread size isn't that clear on some. If you are using what I'm looking for please let me know what OAG you are using. Oh, BTW I'll be attaching to a Mak-Newton telescope that takes both extension tubes, long and short that came with the telescope to get the focus. I'm using a guide scope mounted on top of the rings at the moment but I'd like to loose a little weight and maybe piggyback my a6000 with an OEM lens sometimes.

Thanks,
Dano
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: OAG

Post by UlteriorModem »

I am using the QHY CCD OAG with my Ritchey Chriten.

You will have to do some head scratching and calculating for the various adaptors and extension rings. The hardest part is getting the focal plane of the guide camera and the imaging camera EXACTLY the same!

Here is a sketch I did to calculate the spacers and adaptors. This was with a filter wheel and a ATIK 3983L+ ut the concept is the same. Note the calculated 9mm spacer for the guide camera.

Image20171213_202910 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Here is a link to the users manual that helps explain some of it.

https://note.youdao.com/ynoteshare1/ind ... &type=note

Here is an image of my current set up with a focal reducer included. The filter threads on to the front of the focal reducer not shown here.

Imagever 2 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Are you using a field or comma corrector ?, what is your imaging focal length, oag are great for removing differential flexure and are good to get the right guiding resolution , but they have a few flaws.

I have a t ring for a mirrorless sony a 7, pretty sure the as6000 is mirrorless as well, the t ring i have has a 42 mm female thread, with a recess that can be removed to make it a 48 mm female.

This oag has the 42 mm male and a 48 mm male thread to go into a sony or typical 42 mm t ring.

http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/zwo-oag ... uider.html

now if you need room for a comma corrector, orion sell a thin version , but you'll need some sort of lower profile t-ring, assuming you have a similar one that i have that machined to fit 55mm back focused correctors.

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/orion ... PoEALw_wcB

here is the " t-minus' t ring for sony, you may be able to fit a slim oag and a coma corrector with it.

https://www.telescopeadapters.com/t-min ... eries.html
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

UlteriorModem wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:28 pm I am using the QHY CCD OAG with my Ritchey Chriten.

You will have to do some head scratching and calculating for the various adaptors and extension rings. The hardest part is getting the focal plane of the guide camera and the imaging camera EXACTLY the same!

Here is a sketch I did to calculate the spacers and adaptors. This was with a filter wheel and a ATIK 3983L+ ut the concept is the same. Note the calculated 9mm spacer for the guide camera.

Image20171213_202910 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Here is a link to the users manual that helps explain some of it.

https://note.youdao.com/ynoteshare1/ind ... &type=note

Here is an image of my current set up with a focal reducer included. The filter threads on to the front of the focal reducer not shown here.

Imagever 2 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
WOW that's quite a set up you have there but just the opposite of what I'm after. I don't want to step up from M42 to M48.
Astroglide65
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astroglide65 »

yobbo89 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:41 pm Are you using a field or comma corrector ?, what is your imaging focal length, oag are great for removing differential flexure and are good to get the right guiding resolution , but they have a few flaws.

I have a t ring for a mirrorless sony a 7, pretty sure the as6000 is mirrorless as well, the t ring i have has a 42 mm female thread, with a recess that can be removed to make it a 48 mm female.

This oag has the 42 mm male and a 48 mm male thread to go into a sony or typical 42 mm t ring.

http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/zwo-oag ... uider.html

now if you need room for a comma corrector, orion sell a thin version , but you'll need some sort of lower profile t-ring, assuming you have a similar one that i have that machined to fit 55mm back focused correctors.

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/orion ... PoEALw_wcB

here is the " t-minus' t ring for sony, you may be able to fit a slim oag and a coma corrector with it.

https://www.telescopeadapters.com/t-min ... eries.html
I'll check out the links you provided. My telescope is ES David H levy that doesn't require require comma corrector. Focal length is 731 mm.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

that doesn't require require comma corrector.
Neither does the Ritchey Chriten. That's a focal reducer. See the RC is a native f8 (2,000mm) ;)

Anyhow I hope the links and pics helps somewhat. There is quite a bit of figuring things out when it comes to an OAG. Be sure to include funds for spacer rings, tubes, and adaptors. They aint cheap!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

'$$adapters$$ "
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I use an Orion TOAG (Thin). It has worked for my Canon 70D and ASI120MM. When I converted to the ASI294MC for a primary camera it was a snap. Well, not actually, more like two screws to tighten the TOAG to the camera. It's light weight. But one thing that took me a long time to get correct was to get both cameras in focus. The guiding camera (ASI120MM) was apparently out of focus just a tad. When I put the ASI294MC on, it became really apparent. But between the ASI and Orion I had the exact adapters to get both camera's into focus. It's so much easier to get a guiding star now.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter