Is polar alignment necessary when using a guide scope?

Discuss guiding here
Rmdigby
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Is polar alignment necessary when using a guide scope?

Post by Rmdigby »

So, if I manually locate an object of interest and activate the guide scope, do I have to complete the normal alignment steps first? (equatorial mount)
Orion xt10g.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Is polar alignment necessary when using a guide scope?

Post by yobbo89 »

Yes, to a point, if pa is way out tracking my not keep up, it uses very fine soft nudges, you might have this eradict movement that would be feeding back into the system, an example I had float play in my worm and guiding was chasing that rocking of the worm, it's best to eliminate as much as error as possible before auto guiding takes over
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

First off, have you read this post:. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=914

To add to that post, your goal for your EQ mount is to get your polar alignment so close that you actually don't need guiding meaning that normal tracking is holding the object right in the center of the field of view. As Yobbo pointed out, guiding is the final fine-tuning step to hold the object absolutely motionless within the field of view.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Yes, you do. If you did a good rough polar alignment with compass and level, AND if you keep your exposures short enough, AND if you are aiming at a part of the sky where rotation is not too severe, it is possible that the tracking errors will not be obvious. But they will be there.

The field of view will rotate around your guide star. It is possible to identify your guide star in the image just by finding the centre of rotation.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
dcrowson United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by dcrowson »

It is a bit confusing as to what you're asking. For imaging, you do need to be polar aligned. Once done, you can manually move the telescope to objects if you want and activate guiding. A lot of the guiding programs will take into account where you're pointing so results may vary if you do this.

Dan
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Looking at @JayTee auto guide overview post, I had a quick question: You don't need additional camera control software to be able to auto-guide, do you? the guiding software like PHD2 can be the guide camera control software right? Or am I mistaken and you have to connect your imaging camera to be able to auto guide accurately?
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Baskevo wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:19 pm Looking at @JayTee auto guide overview post, I had a quick question: You don't need additional camera control software to be able to auto-guide, do you? the guiding software like PHD2 can be the guide camera control software right? Or am I mistaken and you have to connect your imaging camera to be able to auto guide accurately?
PHD2 is all that is necessary for the guiding camera, you are correct. The imaging camera doesn't participate in guiding (unless you are using an off axis guider, a subject for another day).

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla