PHD2 Weird Guiding Graph- Anyone seen this before?

Discuss guiding here
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

PHD2 Weird Guiding Graph- Anyone seen this before?

Post by chris_g »

Right after a calibration, Celestial Equator they were tight, then just jumped to this? Skies are clear, seeing I think average. Guiding was messed up all night and I'm not sure why so I recalibrated and got this??? It gives an oblong shape, not really egg though
guiding_wierd.jpg

Edit:

Sorry, it was late when I wrote this at the end of the night.
I had oblong stars after what appeared to be a good calibration. I've never seen a guiding graph look like it does in this, has any one else?
Last edited by chris_g on Fri May 19, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: PHD2 Weird Guiding Graph- Anyone seen this before?

Post by Juno16 »

No, I haven't seen that before. Odd for sure.

Looks kind of like PHD2 is correcting in RA, but not in DEC.
Since you just calibrated, how does the calibration graph look?
Did you run the GA after calibration and are your guiding settings the recommended settings?
I see that correction pulses are not displayed. If you click the checkbox on the left side, you can see the correction pulses that PHD2 is issuing.
Did you look at the guide log and could you attach it to this thread?
The star profile is much broader at the base than what I am used to seeing and the plotted guide star is a bit mushy looking. No sure if that means anything, but just different from what I am used to seeing.
Guide scope focus look good?

I'll be chasing the grandson around all day, but if you can post your calibration graph and guide log (documents/PHD2) maybe someone can help with diagnosis.

Good luck!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

I had tried calibrating I don't know how many times before I finally got to this, I was going to post something, not sure what, when I found @JayTee post about easy scope position,

Settings are not defaults, but they are all the same the last time out without any issues. The two settings changed were RA aggression and Dec aggression to 60% and 70% respectively. I normally have the correction pulses on, not sure why I turned that off.

I couldn't get any decent calibrations trying to focus with PHD2 so I used APT. The image is the last one used and shows the focus of the scope, I stopped because SNR was over 40 on the star it was auto selecting for guiding
M53_Single__0582_2023-05-19_00-34-48_UV_IR_Bin1x1_7s__75F.png
M53_Single__0582_2023-05-19_00-34-48_UV_IR_Bin1x1_7s__75F.png (60.37 KiB) Viewed 1475 times

I used APT to move to the equator
APT - Equator.jpg
APT - Equator.jpg (22.03 KiB) Viewed 1475 times

And that got me here, not the first time though.
Gide Cal.jpg

Any thoughts were be apreicated
Attachments
PHD2_GuideLog_2023-05-18_202522.zip
(119.37 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure what your question is... A little more clarification would be appreciated so we all can give you a better diagnosis.

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Chris,

The grandson is napping, so I got a chance to see if you responded.

Definitely more information about previous session performance and what got you to this point would be very helpful. Like what went on since your last successful session.

There is so much going on in the guide log. In the last run, it almost looks like the guide pulses are pushing the DEC and RA more away from 0.

Strange how the some of the calibration graphs are inverted.

Twice since I have been imaging, I have had issues with PHD2. One time, the target slowly moved away from the center as the night went on. Probably not related to dithering.
Recently, I just could not get good guiding performance. Not horrible, but not normal.
Both times, I created a new profile in PHD2 and just started over. Didn't take much time at all, and as long as it has a unique name, it won't effect the old profile.
The first issue was definitely related to PHD2. The second was probably me tweaking too much over time and a start back at baseline defaults fixed it up.

Don't know if it would help in this case, but just info to pass along if you ever need it.

So, I really wasn't clear, did you ever get a calibration near the celestial equator/meridian?

I haven't tried JT's method. I usually just use SkySafari (or any other sky app) to find a star close to the intersection of the celestial equator/meridian and slew there with my planatarium application (Cartes du Ceil). Then start calibration and run the Guiding Assistant right after calibration.

Sorry another question, what is your DEC backlash?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Hey Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to look, family is important. :) When APT went to the equator it was in the same position that the scope was in JT's post that graph was the calibration I got out of it in that position. I tried hunting stars last night for calibration and always got some sort of complaint from PHD2., that was before I found the initial post in this forum! That calibration is what I got out of it last night. It looks good...Stars looked a little mushy, thought that might be from poor seeing conditions, not sure. My last session was a complete tear down and set up. I had the C8 ready for a grab and go. I was ready to rebuild profiles and all that and calibration files All went well with focusing both main and guide scopes, then it wall went down hill I have one more opportunity tonight before clouds roll back in.

Hi @JayTee

Oh wow, I just reread it, I was tired when I wrote that! Almost gibberish!
I had oblong stars and a guiding graph looked like it did in the initial post. I was wondering if anyone had ever seen a guiding graph like that before.
Petrol Great Britain
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Petrol »

I've had a similar guiding graph on my EQ5. I put it down to one of two things. Terrible polar alignment (couldn't find polaris) or messed up PHD2. I uninstalled PHD2 and re installed it, set up a new profile using the wizard with default setting and it sorted it. Think I have a pic of the graph somewhere if it helps.
Clear skies
Pete
Rig1. Samyang 135 F2 ED UMC, Player One Poseidon-C Pro, EQ5
Rig2. Celestron RASA 8, Zwo Asi 533 MC Pro, EQ6
APM Astrograph 107/700, Hutech/Idas filters, NINA, Pix.
lots of cables!
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

chris_g wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:27 pm Hey Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to look, family is important. :) When APT went to the equator it was in the same position that the scope was in JT's post that graph was the calibration I got out of it in that position. I tried hunting stars last night for calibration and always got some sort of complaint from PHD2., that was before I found the initial post in this forum! That calibration is what I got out of it last night. It looks good...Stars looked a little mushy, thought that might be from poor seeing conditions, not sure. My last session was a complete tear down and set up. I had the C8 ready for a grab and go. I was ready to rebuild profiles and all that and calibration files All went well with focusing both main and guide scopes, then it wall went down hill I have one more opportunity tonight before clouds roll back in.

Hi @JayTee

Oh wow, I just reread it, I was tired when I wrote that! Almost gibberish!
I had oblong stars and a guiding graph looked like it did in the initial post. I was wondering if anyone had ever seen a guiding graph like that before.

Hi Chris,

So, you should be good now after the last calibration? You might have answered me, but I could have missed it. Have you run the Guiding Assistant post good calibration?

Petrol wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:06 pm I've had a similar guiding graph on my EQ5. I put it down to one of two things. Terrible polar alignment (couldn't find polaris) or messed up PHD2. I uninstalled PHD2 and re installed it, set up a new profile using the wizard with default setting and it sorted it. Think I have a pic of the graph somewhere if it helps.
Clear skies
Pete
Good to hear that I am not alone having to set up a new profile in PHD2 because of issues. I haven't un-installed and re-installed the software, but that really isn't much work at all. The new profile has done the trick for me (so far).

PHD2 is awesome software and the support is fantastic. Great folks and free software. Can't beat that!

"Terrible polar alignment (couldn't find polaris)". Good point! The PHD2 Guiding assistant should tip you off to that.
Jim

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

One more thing Chris.

If you continue to have issues, go to https://groups.google.com/g/open-phd-guiding?pli=1
and log in and start a thread with the issues that you’ve having.
They are a great bunch of folks and will give you good advice.
Be sure to upload the logs ( Help-Upload Guide logs).

I’m a member of all of the forums!
Jim

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Petrol wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:06 pm 've had a similar guiding graph on my EQ5. I put it down to one of two things. Terrible polar alignment (couldn't find polaris) or messed up PHD2. I uninstalled PHD2 and re installed it, set up a new profile using the wizard with default setting and it sorted it. Think I have a pic of the graph somewhere if it helps.
Clear skies
Pete
Hey Pete,

I'm wondering if it might be the PA. I used APT's PAPS routine, had to do it twice of all the weirdness. I ran it at the beginning of the night, made adjustments to withing 30 seconds on both axes and started a session, got some weird results, like PA was off and PHD2 wouldn't stop complaining. So I reran the PA routines and it was off again by over a degree. Dialed it back in again to less than a minute in the RA axis and the DEC was within 30 seconds. That was when I got oblong stars and the guide graph above I posted
Juno16 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:39 pm If you continue to have issues, go to https://groups.google.com/g/open-phd-guiding?pli=1
and log in and start a thread with the issues that you’ve having.
They are a great bunch of folks and will give you good advice.
Be sure to upload the logs ( Help-Upload Guide logs).
Hey Jim,

I always start here first! No, I never got a good session after the "good" alignment. Bang to the profile if it does it again... :popcorn:
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Chris,
You should try the PHD2 Guiding Assistant.
I run it for 5 minutes before each session.
It will confirm PA.

Good luck!
Jim

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

PA Redo, new guiding profile, all went smooth, wish it would have done it last night!

I'll check out the guide assistant, learn something new every time, did not know about it
Guide working.jpg
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

chris_g wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:52 am

I'll check out the guide assistant, learn something new every time, did not know about it

Much better guiding graph. DEC still isn't under control though. Possibly backlash?

Do try the GA. It is one of the best tools in PHD2. Checks your PA, recommends settings based on current conditions, and checks DEC backlash. You don't need to check DEC backlash every time, but it gives you a baseline and help setting up Backlash Compensation in PHD2. Fine tuning that setting will help recovery after a dither and get you more imaging time.

Good luck!
Jim

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

I have had a similar graph before (actually a few times) and I found I could just shut down PHD and restart it. I don't know what causes it but it seems to be okay after a restart.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Gordon wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:28 pm I have had a similar graph before (actually a few times) and I found I could just shut down PHD and restart it. I don't know what causes it but it seems to be okay after a restart.
I know it sounds so silly, but I was coming here to say exactly the same as Gordon. I've had this happen to me and found that after confirming the Polar Alignment was good, the only thing that solved it was rebooting my computer and restarting PHD2.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

chris_g wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:27 pm I was wondering if anyone had ever seen a guiding graph like that before.
Unfortunately, ALL the time!
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

@Gordon
AstroBee wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:14 pm
Gordon wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:28 pm I have had a similar graph before (actually a few times) and I found I could just shut down PHD and restart it. I don't know what causes it but it seems to be okay after a restart.
I know it sounds so silly, but I was coming here to say exactly the same as Gordon. I've had this happen to me and found that after confirming the Polar Alignment was good, the only thing that solved it was rebooting my computer and restarting PHD2.

Interesting!
The first time that I created a new PHd2 profile was at the advice of the N.I.N.A. Discord folks as my guiding was good, but the target moved off center over time (not dithering related).
The second time was because of non- typical poor guiding. Not really bad, but not anywhere near as good as usual.
A PHD2 restart might be something to try in the second case. Would be quick and I wouldn’t have to warm the camera and cool again as I would in a reboot.
Thanks for the information fellas!
Jim

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

AstroBee wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:14 pm I know it sounds so silly, but I was coming here to say exactly the same as Gordon. I've had this happen to me and found that after confirming the Polar Alignment was good, the only thing that solved it was rebooting my computer and restarting PHD2.
Friday night was truly a decent night for guiding and image acquisition. I got three clusters, over two hours each. Any weird guiding issues and BOOM! to the profile and start fresh from the Wizard. I changed nothing other than shutting down the PC and new profile from the wizard. Please, thank you for what does not sound silly at all to me. Speaking from a programmer's view, computers can get confused and profiles can become corrupted very easily, just ask Microsoft!

Clear Skies,
Chris