Discuss guiding here
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

DEC balance through the meridian

Post by DEnc »

Here’s something I haven’t seen before.

I was imaging a target close to the meridian with the Mach 1 DEC balanced camera-heavy. The PHD2 log showed a lot of oscillating corrections in DEC during the first 10min exposure, decreasing with time. They’re red in the screenshot from PHD2LogViewer, highlighted with the white lines. (There were four dithers during the session, marked by the spikes in the guiding corrections.)

My take on this is that the session started when the target was passing through a zone where the camera-heavy balance in DEC was shifting from south to north, and it took about 10min for it to settle to one side. DEC backlash correction was on, but I’m thinking that guiding was busy keeping up with the shifting balance between north and south. Even with this sketchy beginning, the total RMS error for the session was 0.74”. (I usually do better!)

There’s radial asymmetry in my OTA/focuser, so I’ll rotate the OTA to keep the DEC balance to one side, even for a few hours past the meridian. And dream about getting the Mach 2, which has encoders….

Does this seem like a plausible interpretation?

Thanks,

David
2020_0919_Lobos.png
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: DEC balance through the meridian

Post by Gordon »

Hi David,

Based on the graph I would say you are on the right track. It there a way you could pause the imaging for 10 minutes or so before and after a median flip? The other option is to know it's going to happen and add a couple of frames to throw out. Other than that I would think a re-balance after the flip.

I keep my setup pretty well even balanced (I have a fairly light setup) and let PHD2 do the work with the backlash. It's worked fairly well that way.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

John999R United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by John999R »

Sorry I'm late to the party. I'm too lazy to look through my pile of Astro Physics manuals for a clarification, but I recall in one of the manuals stating it is not necessary to shift either camera side or counterweight side. Just make sure both sides are equal to each other and therefore balanced. Again, I can't confirm my statement as fact, but either I'm dreaming or I remember it because the topic of shifting one side or the other has many saying the proper thing to do is shift the counterweights slightly in order to keep the gears in contact. I'd better look into this as well. I have owned my never used 900GTO for four years, it is a 2010 model and the original owner (believe it or not) never set it up either. My excuse is medical, the mount is just too heavy with my physical limitations from a bad motorcycle crash that I never fully recovered from. I finally came to the realization that I should sell it and move on. However, every time the thought of actually doing that subsides each time I look at it, what a wonderful piece of mechanical art.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I agree, i get mirrord results on a flip, my solution is to toss the first few frames if they are bad, track pass the meridian with a good 20-30 mins ,or go out and shift all the weights... i have a lot of of set stuff i need to reconfigure, ie the finder scope is off to the side, focuser controller is not centered on the scope aswell ..
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .