Cable management - a cautionary tale

Discuss guiding here
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Cable management - a cautionary tale

Post by bobharmony »

Yesterday dawned clear and blue, the sky was cloudless and smoke-free. It remained that way all day and into the evening. With the one-day old Moon and a long imaging drought over the year I had to take advantage of the chance!

I set up as usual with my newly drawn tripod foot markers getting me within 6 arc-minutes of the pole before running drift alignment. Tuned PA up, pointed to Deneb for focusing, then swung over to M33 for framing and to start the run. The first couple of subs had a lot of star movement in RA, but the third and fourth came in clean, so I let the session go and went inside to warm up a bit and hang out with the family.

When I went out to check on things a couple of hours later, I found almost no usable subs and the PHD2 guiding graph showed a lot of large (5-10 arc-second) excursions in RA, something which never happens. I spent some time trying to tame it with no luck at all. I have been using this configuration for a couple of years with no issues and was scratching my head over it.

It was getting late and I figured I wouldn't be fixing anything this night. I was withing 30 minutes of APT doing the automated meridian flip so I figured I'd let it run and make sure that worked at least. A moment later PHD2 started complaining about losing the guide star and sure enough clouds had covered a large part of the sky so I figured I was done for the night. I took a moment to slew over to Orion and make sure that my pointing model was good and sure enough it dropped right in on M42.

Time to break things down. At this point I found the guide camera USB had gotten lose from the harness and wrapped itself around the polar alignment scope at the back of the RA axis. It had been dragging and releasing all night, causing the RA excursions. I will (finally) be getting after the wiring with zip ties instead of twist ties. Hopefully that will keep things together better and I can avoid repeat performances. Check your cables, folks!

If the weather holds I will take another crack at this Monday night. Live and learn.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Cable management - a cautionary tale

Post by UlteriorModem »

A few pics for you :D

Image20170823_172441 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Image20170823_173422 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Note how the bottom end is secured to the mount with a generous slack loop leading up to and through the saddle.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks Bob!

Sorry to hear of your troubles. A very good thing though is that you got it figured out quickly. Nothing is worse than not finding the issue and breaking down unable to know what happened.

My cabling is pretty neat with zip ties, but it is still a big snake (but neat). I keep an eye on it and it stays pretty trouble free. I do all my flips manually just so I can go out and watch the cables and direct things. I am usually up anyway, so I feel better about controlling the flip.

Just finished up on the new "snake" yesterday with the new ASI camera cabling. Saved one wire since I can run the focuser from the camera's usb hub. I found out when I finished (well actually, I thought about it in the middle of the night) that I had used a usb2 extention cable for the new ASI camera instead of usb 3, so next week when the new cable arrives, I will have to snip some ties and replace it.

I hope that you get a good night out soon! I see nothing but poor weather here!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

UlteriorModem wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:40 pm A few pics for you :D

Image20170823_172441 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Image20170823_173422 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Note how the bottom end is secured to the mount with a generous slack loop leading up to and through the saddle.
Tom, your cabling is always impressive!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

UlteriorModem wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:40 pm A few pics for you :)

Thanks, Tom, I remember you being the "king of cabling". Very impressive and very neat. Thanks for the reminder on the loop. I had that in place, until the guidecam USB cable went rogue on me!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

This afternoon I spent some time redoing the cabling using zip ties instead of twist ties. The result is a much sturdier loop that seems to work well. I slewed the scope around every which way when I was done simulating real slews in RA and DEC at the same time and all directions seemed to work just fine. I started an imaging run at a little before 10:00 PM tonight and have 44 subs in the can so far. Looking MUCH better than the trash I collected Saturday night.

Attaching a photo of the scope in action (it was dithering when I took the photo so no photons were harmed in the process. The loop coming off the scope and anchored to the mount is front and center in this image.
landscape version.jpg
Thanks, Tom, for the images of your wiring. It was inspirational!

Bob

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Heh I see now your wiring is alot like mine. Once it leaves the mount it is a general rats nest :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Bigdog_in_home4.jpg
None,

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

What can I say, we'll this morning I dragged my desktop computer across the floor, by tripping over the wire from the keyboard.
I pulled the PC out last night to locate a wire to my laptop that had fallen into the chasm of decay that this the back of my work desk. No, thinking about it I have nothing to add.

But I know what my next job is - looming the scope.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:48 pm Thanks Bob!

Sorry to hear of your troubles. A very good thing though is that you got it figured out quickly. Nothing is worse than not finding the issue and breaking down unable to know what happened.

My cabling is pretty neat with zip ties, but it is still a big snake (but neat). I keep an eye on it and it stays pretty trouble free. I do all my flips manually just so I can go out and watch the cables and direct things. I am usually up anyway, so I feel better about controlling the flip.

Just finished up on the new "snake" yesterday with the new ASI camera cabling. Saved one wire since I can run the focuser from the camera's usb hub. I found out when I finished (well actually, I thought about it in the middle of the night) that I had used a usb2 extention cable for the new ASI camera instead of usb 3, so next week when the new cable arrives, I will have to snip some ties and replace it.

I hope that you get a good night out soon! I see nothing but poor weather here!

Mine resembles a best of snakes, does that make it better :observatory: nope.

I've had a few clear nights, but the clouds have returned, hopefully, clear skies are heading your way.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447