TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Oag for C11 Questions?

Post by TheButcher »

Hey all,

I was wondering if I can get some input for a new guiding system for guiding my Celestron C-11 XLT @F6.3 and to be able to guide an 80mm-120mm refractor. I have not purchased the Refractor yet, but will be in the near future and will probably buy another Orion 50mm Guide scope as I sold that to fund my new mount and used to use that with my 80mm ED @6.25 and RC8 which worked great but if it works with the OAG then that would be a bonus.

Now to guide the C11 probably an OAG would be best as I read? And if so, Ideally I don't want to spend more then $100-$150ish since I need to buy other gear. I primarily will be doing DSO with my New/Used Refractor so I dont' need to get a high end OAG, but something that would not be awkward setting up and using and troublesome to use.

As far as guide camera, I recently sold my 290mm too, as you know to "fund for my new mount" lol and will probably purchase it again (not the Mini) as I intend to do Planetary imaging with it as well when Mars gets closer and for Lunar.

My Main imaging camera is the ZWO 1600mm-P with the 8 POS EFW.

With that said How is the ZWO OAG? or anything else in that price range? And how well will it work with the 290mm (non-mini) camera.

Also I could increase by budget if necessary and then use it on my future refractor. (If I was doing this do any of them have a Manual rotation capability?) I then would increase my budget a tad bit for the OAG.

Thanks All
:)
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Oag for C11 Questions?

Post by sdbodin »

I use the ZWO OAG with my Atik 460 ex and it works fine, I think I tried it once with my 1600mc but then no filter wheel was in the way. However, I don't know if the 290 will fit with the filter wheel, I use a QHY5 which is 1.25" eyepiece size.

In any case, the main problem is finding a suitable guide star, I have aborted a session because none could be found and still keep the subject in the fov. But, an absolute requirement with an SCT and the mirror flop that they all have.

Good luck,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Thanks Steve,

That helps a lot. I may try to pick a ZWO OAG up used and see what happens, I noticed that the OAG is 16.5mm, on my optical train, I placed that connecting to the T-adapter that screws onto the 6.3 reducer. Does that look like it would be enough room for a full size ZWO mono. The only issue I have against getting a 1.25" guide camera is that it is only USB 2.0 and I like to use it for Planetary. So if that fits (I may test it with my 385mc) and see how it goes from there.

Any other alternatives?

Here is my current setup, before I had the 11mm spacer coming out of the filter wheel but switched it around when I had my RC8 for some reason. The way I have it now probably would not reach focus for the guide camera? Uness I added some type of Helical focuser of some sort?

Thx again Steve :)

Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

OK, I see your setup, but mine is different since I'm using a Starizona reducer. Spacing is; reducer, custom adapter about 1.25" long, ZWO OAG, Orion mini-wheel, camera. If you can get the guide cam over your wheel, it should work. The BFL for the 1600 is 4 mm longer than the Atik460 so the OAG will need 4mm more space above the wheel and this might help with clearance, if needed.
setup.jpg
Go for it,
Steve

P.S. like my safety strap?
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

sdbodin wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:40 pm OK, I see your setup, but mine is different since I'm using a Starizona reducer. Spacing is; reducer, custom adapter about 1.25" long, ZWO OAG, Orion mini-wheel, camera. If you can get the guide cam over your wheel, it should work. The BFL for the 1600 is 4 mm longer than the Atik460 so the OAG will need 4mm more space above the wheel and this might help with clearance, if needed.

Go for it,
Steve

P.S. like my safety strap?
lol yeah I was wondering what that was. Great Idea. Thx Steve :)

I think 4mm sounds doable hopefuly especially with some kind of helical focuser or something. I may just try to get one in the classifieds. I could swing that now under the CFO's radar, but I still am mountless. But on the brightside Skywatcher fixed the DEC and tuned up my EQ6-R and it should arrive next week. But I got to wait until I get my New iOptron CEM70 to sell it. Then I will have telescope funds :) for everything else. So far the estimate is 2-3 weeks for the head to be here, although the tripod for the CEM is finally being shipped out today.