OAG versus guide scope

Discuss guiding here
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

OAG versus guide scope

Post by Star Dad »

Last night I bit the bullet and mounted my 50mm sighting scope on my 208mm reflector. After trying every conceivable selection of spacers and focal adjustments I finally ended up using EB green. "What is EB green?" you are probably asking. It is the worlds best duct tape. The EB stands for Electric Boat - one of two US shipyards that build submarines. Yes, I literally duct taped my ASI120MM to the sighting scope which is now a guiding scope. EB Green never seems to lose its grip.

So after dark, I went out and discovered that the first two Messier objects I wanted to photograph were already done. Which as it turns out was fortuitous. I set up on M-3 to re-take it using a 2x barlow. Unfortunately I had forgotten to align the main and guiding scope, and the plate solver could not solve for M-3 because of the barlow, but it did solve for the guiding scope. So I gave up using the barlow and shot M-3 anyway but it was close to the meridian so I only got 20 minutes before it hit the flip. It seemed like PHD was guiding fine. After the flip I went out and centered on my "third" object. I watched in horror as the DEC was given orders by PHD to correct the drift after about 30 seconds and instead of moving the red line UP the red line took an exponential downward curve, and within 3 seconds was off the chart. WTF? I used the "brain" two or three times (I'm a little fuzzy on how many times) but it kept sending the wrong signal. It finally dawned on me that the guiding scope is a refractor - not a reflector and the image was corrected. Oh, but how do I tell PHD that? I checked every option that I could find in PHD, and finally in exasperation I deleted the calibration. Somehow, I managed to accidentally start a new calibration and everything seemed to be going well... too well. I started this whole exercise at 2130.

It completed the calibration and I had it lock on a guide star... my gosh there are a lot more stars to choose from using a guide scope vs my TOAG (Orion's Thin Off Axis Guider). To my utter surprise, the history graph showed what I will refer to as a heartbeat sequence. That is tiny (ie less than 1/2 pixel) motions followed by a truly remarkable momentary large correction in a very repeatable sequence... like a heartbeat monitor. In using the TOAG I have never seen this behavior - usually PHD is doing corrections almost constantly. The first good image was started at 0015 - almost three hours later. <sigh> I have yet to process the images (I just got up from the all-nighter). But NGC4631 (a galaxy) and surrounding stars appeared in the images to be pretty crisply defined.

That is the story of last night. I do have one question though - for those that use a separate guiding scope and a barlow on the imaging scope - do you use the imaging scope or the guiding scope for plate solving? I could not get Astrotortilla to plate solve my imaging scopes images. But it worked fine on the guide scope images. If this is the case, I will have to perfectly align the guide scope with the imaging scope.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: OAG versus guide scope

Post by yobbo89 »

after attaching the barlow did you re edit the parameters including the focal length of the scope, pixel size, arc seconds per pixel ectt ? , you should always plate solve with the main scope and camera , unless you're running a very high magnification and can't get enough stars , typically deepsky and barlows don't belong, but there are exceptions, like eta carina (homunculus cloud) , a bright object that needs resolution to bring out detail .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I'm still not sure about how you connected your guide camera to the guide scope, but it seems to me that a duct tape connection would be particularly prone to flexure.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

Aside from the flexure issues JT mentioned, you should only guide in one direction for Dec.
My setup naturally drifts north just a touch, so I have pHD correct only for North. It fixed my spiking issues almost immediately.
As for flexure, @ f/4.9, you're probably ok. A tube of anything rigid to connect the two pieces, would be immensely helpful in stiffening the assembly up a bit.
You may get a small amount of "star marching" as I call it (when in each successive frame, the stars have moved a very small amount in a straight line.)
Good luck!
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Amazingly my first processed image set of NGC4631 came out beautifully and the guiding was superb. It is arguably my best edge on image of a galaxy.

EB green is not your ordinary duct tape. I had the scope moving in all kinds of directions and the guide camera didn't move a pixel. I know that even as good as EB green is I need to find a more permanent solution.

I need to find me an adapter for the ZWO ASI120MM that has a 1/4" "nose" piece that can fit in the diagonal of the guide scope. I am loath to cut the one have have, because I'll need it if I ever go back to the TOAG. 1/4" would be just enough to get the guide scope in focus and tighten the retaining screws on the diagonal.

Alternatively, if I can find an adapter to replace the diagonal with a straight female thread to mate with the guide scope that would be ideal. Anyone have any ideas where I might such an extension tube?

Here's the scope I'm talking about: https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-9 ... 101449.uts

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I re-organized my spacers into seal-able containers. In the process I discovered that I have two of the ZWO adapters with a 1"? nose. Given that I now have a spare I will cut the majority of the nose off the spare one to fit into the prism of the scope to give a good tight fit using the in-place set screws.

:dance:

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

For plate solving, use the image from the main imaging camera. If you reconfigure it with a barlow (or a reducer), you need to reconfigure the plate solver settings, so it know what the current image scale is. If you use SGP for session control, you can have that kind of information set up in different equipment profiles.

There is a setting in PHD to flip the configuration data after a meridian flip. If you don't use that setting, you will have to re-calibrate, since all the directions are backwards after a flip.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Roger that - I completely forgot to do that. But what do you enter for a 2x barlow - I mean that doesn't it depend on the distance between the barlow and camera for scaling?