Thinking about a scope ... or just to wait???

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
TareqPhoto United Arab Emirates
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Thinking about a scope ... or just to wait???

Post by TareqPhoto »

Hi all,

It is really so bad and difficult in this time with many issues and crisis all around and with very tight budget or so bad financial situations, making all kind of decisions like a "Mission Impossible".

So, i am still thinking and thinking and thinking and came up with those which are maybe not yet the last plan, but at least i narrowed it down to that, so if you have to choose or go with one of the following regardless if you may change later, what will you get really [with reasons if possible please]???

1. 12" F4 Newtonian [for planetary imaging only]

2. Two 150mm [6"] F4 Newtonian [DSO imaging]

3. Two 130mm F5 Newtonian [DSO]

4. Cheap cheap affordable doublet semi APO or ED refractor [DSO]

5. 0.73x reducer for 200mm [8"] F5 Newtonian [DSO imaging]

All above are for imaging only, i have 8" F5 and i have a mono cooled camera [QHY163M] and filters, so it is only about telescopes now, i am still not using my 8" F5, but i know even before i use it that it won't fit all targets in my mind, it will do nice job for small targets anyway, but i feel like i still prefer a wide field more, and i won't get SCT or triplet refractor, so only above are my very soon choices, otherwise i just stop AP and keep waiting to save and go with high end or larger scopes within my maximum saving after 1 year or two, i have a plan to buy a high end expensive refractor so any those affordable triplets are out of my plan and mind, and SCT is so so much expensive than Newtonian or Dobsonian so i won't waste money on that, also i don't want SCT just it can do DSO and planetary because that is requiring extra accessories and also more expensive to be honest, just before going SCT or triplet route discuss why any of above isn't a good idea to think about.

Any further details you need i am willing to answer, and remember, it is not yet confirmed or as a final plan, but i want to think about it as i have to decide on a telescope within April/May to start.
    Telescope: SkyWatcher: Skymax 180mm F15 Mak, StarTravel 80mm f/5 ---- Meade LX70 8" F5 Newt
      Mount: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GoTo
        Cameras: QHY163M, QHY5L-II-M, ZWO [ASI174MM, ASI290MM, ASI385MC, ASI120MC(damaged)], Sony A7r + Canon DSLRs + lenses [Hasselbald, Canon, Sony, Sigma, Samyang], Hasselbald H4D-60
          Filters: Astrodon Ha 5nm, Cyclops Optics LUX-Series RGB, Optolong NB, Baader filters [M&S Neodymium, Contrast Booster], Skywatcher UHC & OIII
            Software: SGPro, PixInsight, APP, APT, DeepSkyStacker, Nebulosity, SharpCap, FireCapture, PHD2, CDC, Photoshop CC
            Refractordude
            Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Thinking about a scope ... or just to wait???

Post by Refractordude »

Someone more knowledgeable than me will come along that could help you soon. I do know that for astrophotography the telescope should be no more then half the weight capacity of the mount. I would go with less weight than that. Perhaps a short tube triplet lens refractor.
            Mars Ambassador

Post by TareqPhoto »

Refractordude wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:22 am Someone more knowledgeable than me will come along that could help you soon. I do know that for astrophotography the telescope should be no more then half the weight capacity of the mount. I would go with less weight than that. Perhaps a short tube triplet lens refractor.
            Ok, thank you very much
              Telescope: SkyWatcher: Skymax 180mm F15 Mak, StarTravel 80mm f/5 ---- Meade LX70 8" F5 Newt
                  Cameras: QHY163M, QHY5L-II-M, ZWO [ASI174MM, ASI290MM, ASI385MC, ASI120MC(damaged)], Sony A7r + Canon DSLRs + lenses [Hasselbald, Canon, Sony, Sigma, Samyang], Hasselbald H4D-60
                    Filters: Astrodon Ha 5nm, Cyclops Optics LUX-Series RGB, Optolong NB, Baader filters [M&S Neodymium, Contrast Booster], Skywatcher UHC & OIII
                      Software: SGPro, PixInsight, APP, APT, DeepSkyStacker, Nebulosity, SharpCap, FireCapture, PHD2, CDC, Photoshop CC
                      Lady Fraktor Slovakia
                      Co-Administrator
                      Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A longer focal length for planetary may be a bit better, not as much need for expensive coma corrector and the like.
                      See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
                      EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
                      Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
                      Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
                      Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
                      Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
                      The only culture I have is from yogurt
                      My day was going well until... people
                      yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

a 12" f4 newt can be difficult for planetary imaging, I see this topic come up quite often, achieving a long focal length can be difficult, while stacking barlows does work, it sometimes introduces reflection/ artifact depending on the quality of the Barlow and the distance between the two.

Focusing also is a bit of a problem.this diagram Can help you understand, even though you could get the f5 scope to f8, I'm sure a barlow, or two barlows stacked will throw out the critical zone, ie. A f5 scope with a 2x barlow would have a shorter critcal zone then a scope made for f10, I have no support for this claim, but from my experience I have found or feel that a 12" sct VS a 12" f4 with a barlow at the same fl that the sct had a longer critical zone and was easier to focus.

To be honest you're going to be better of with something like a 9" sct over a 12" f4 for planetary imaging. Keep in mind a 12" f4 weighs a tone.

If someone could get a similar diagram but with a barlow, that would be good.feel free to approve or disapprove this.

Now it seems you have a set budget, if i we're to head towards Newtonian planetary imaging ie dobsonian,Newtonian type of scope, I would be looking at scopes that are atleast f5 or longer and or possible 14"-16" mirror, I'm a bit hands on and like building stuff, but if you are in the same boat you could do the same, purchase a large primary and secondary and build a dob and a platform tracker.

Some of these 14"-16" dobsonian planetary are on par with 14" sct images, given that people who have these types of setups are stacking barlows and I'm sure they have a lilttle bit more of a hurdle to overcome.

12"f4 certainly doable, but I recommend maybe a f5, a nice motorised focuser and some decent barlows.
                      Attachments
                      336762_1_En_6_Fig7_HTML.gif
                      336762_1_En_6_Fig7_HTML.gif (11.3 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
                      scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
                      cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
                      mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
                      filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
                      extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Mars Ambassador

Post by TareqPhoto »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:43 am A longer focal length for planetary may be a bit better, not as much need for expensive coma corrector and the like.
                      I know that, thank you
                                Mars Ambassador

Post by TareqPhoto »

yobbo89 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:46 am a 12" f4 newt can be difficult for planetary imaging, I see this topic come up quite often, achieving a long focal length can be difficult, while stacking barlows does work, it sometimes introduces reflection/ artifact depending on the quality of the Barlow and the distance between the two.

Focusing also is a bit of a problem.this diagram Can help you understand, even though you could get the f5 scope to f8, I'm sure a barlow, or two barlows stacked will throw out the critical zone, ie. A f5 scope with a 2x barlow would have a shorter critcal zone then a scope made for f10, I have no support for this claim, but from my experience I have found or feel that a 12" sct VS a 12" f4 with a barlow at the same fl that the sct had a longer critical zone and was easier to focus.

To be honest you're going to be better of with something like a 9" sct over a 12" f4 for planetary imaging. Keep in mind a 12" f4 weighs a tone.

If someone could get a similar diagram but with a barlow, that would be good.feel free to approve or disapprove this.

Now it seems you have a set budget, if i we're to head towards Newtonian planetary imaging ie dobsonian,Newtonian type of scope, I would be looking at scopes that are atleast f5 or longer and or possible 14"-16" mirror, I'm a bit hands on and like building stuff, but if you are in the same boat you could do the same, purchase a large primary and secondary and build a dob and a platform tracker.

Some of these 14"-16" dobsonian planetary are on par with 14" sct images, given that people who have these types of setups are stacking barlows and I'm sure they have a lilttle bit more of a hurdle to overcome.

12"f4 certainly doable, but I recommend maybe a f5, a nice motorised focuser and some decent barlows.
                                Ok, how about the following points or answers from my side?

1. I do have Tele Vue 3x, and 2x with 5x Powermate, and i even planning to get 4x Powermate, Damian Peach himself voted for 4x as the best, so?

2. Actually i am thinking about 12" F5 not F4, but i saw that F4 is very slightly less weight by 1-2kg than F5, and i wanted to try it on my EQ6 mount, so i was thinking that 12" is already too much, so 1-2kg could do wonders maybe, but i am still having my mind on F5 Newt version actually.

3. I did thinking about building a dob, can buy mirrors, but that will cost me much more than i buy one ready and replace the mirror later, so i will go with buying a ready one then, and for that case, a dob is also in my plan, between 12" up to 16", but last year i requested for 20" Dob customized build, so i decided i will go with smaller dob such as 12" or 14" to fit between 20" in future and my current 7"/8" scopes, and i feel like 12" is enough, but i can't buy a goto 14", i can barely buy goto 12" dob maybe, but no EQ platform, and then i may have difficult time doing planetary then, visual is there if i can't do imaging, but i don't want to get into situation where i get bored of visual or i feel regret that it is not ready for imaging yet, so i better get something as Newt or Dob for imaging and worry about visual later.

4. How much is that 9" SCT OTA compared to 10" Newt? how much is that C11 compared to 12" or even 14" dob? How much is that 12" SCT from Meade compared a 12" Newt/Dob although that 12" Meade SCT is less weight and still a lot for EQ6 as Newt? Price and weight are like opponents to each other, i looked all around and i see much more people using 12" Newt or even dob than using 12" SCT from Meade, i saw many used C11 or C9.25, but i will never buy anything less than 12" no matter how good, and i saw results from Newt and dobs from 10" up to 20", so my mind is already set for Newt or dob as long i can choose something right, i don't mind going with something like 12" dob or 14" dob now without EQ platform and i ignore the planets for now until i can afford EQ platform then i start again, planets isn't an issue for me in my area, i can see them clearly high or good position in the sky every year, last two years i spent with my 7" Mak, want to jump from 7" to 12" or larger at once, not gradually from 7" to 10 then to 14 and whatever.

5. I am planning to buy autofcuser for all my new scopes i will buy from planetary or DSO, so this is another plan i will do later, and changing focuser is also applicable later as long i choose the scope first, in fact with that 20" dob i was planing or going to provide it with all the top best parts in the world, best secondary, best primary, best focuser [from Feather Touch] and all accessories as GOTO and EQ and whatever, so i was planning to not spend more than $1200 on a scope i want to buy now for planetary such as a Newt or a dob, many Chinese newt/dob are at this price from 12"-14" somehow unless i choose something with extras.

You can tell me anything more so i can let you know how i plan things, i know people have some ideas of how they choose, and i respect that and i can do, but i have my own experience that putting me always into regret route that sometimes i feel that people advice don't fit me or don't last long and i better try harder than what they told me, i got that idea from people about buy now sell later a lot, THIS IS DEFINITELY A BAAAD IDEA FOR ME IN MY LIFE.
                                          yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i can't help you too much further sorry, but it seems you do have some ground foot with the 7'' mak and a bigger mirror seems the way to go for you in terms of upgrade.

what eq6 do you have ? i have the eq6 pro from 5+ years ago and it's limit is a 10'' newt and a 12'' sct , the 12'' sct is on it's limits and gives a lot of drifting/tracking problems. enough for planets, not enough for tracking areas of the moon,doing moon mosaic ectt.it is severely overloading the mount. i usually have to nudge the tracking manually to get back on target while capturing at the same time.

i would see if anyone else has a 12'' newt on thier eq6 , my guesstimation is that you'll be replacing those bearings over 12+ months.
                                          scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
                                          cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
                                          mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
                                          filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
                                          extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Mars Ambassador

Post by TareqPhoto »

yobbo89 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:36 pm i can't help you too much further sorry, but it seems you do have some ground foot with the 7'' mak and a bigger mirror seems the way to go for you in terms of upgrade.

what eq6 do you have ? i have the eq6 pro from 5+ years ago and it's limit is a 10'' newt and a 12'' sct , the 12'' sct is on it's limits and gives a lot of drifting/tracking problems. enough for planets, not enough for tracking areas of the moon,doing moon mosaic ectt.it is severely overloading the mount. i usually have to nudge the tracking manually to get back on target while capturing at the same time.

i would see if anyone else has a 12'' newt on thier eq6 , my guesstimation is that you'll be replacing those bearings over 12+ months.
                                          Yes, that 7" Mak showed me that ii only have to jump big really big this time, it gives 2700mm at native and if i put in 2x that will put me at 5400mm or around, and still i want bigger, aperture for me is the key, i even saw people using C8 up to C14 with 2x or 2.5x extenders, so this alone make my mind that if i will use extenders then why excluding Newtonian or Dob from the equation.

I do have AZ-EQ6, bought it in 2017 when i started for first time and still holding for me, but i think risking it with something like 12" Newt needs me to rethink, should i follow those who really did or look somewhere else, i still think a dob is the answer, but it means i have to stop until i afford EQ platform for it, otherwise if i am in hurry then 12" Newt on my AZ-EQ6 and then try to fine tune and change bearing when necessary, i won't imaging planets always every night, so i hope that won't damage the mount so quick, but i am open to all ideas about the durability or longevity of a mount beyond its payload limit.
                                                    Baurice
                                                    Vendor
                                                    Vendor
                                                    Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:42 pm

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

As for stacking Barlows, I have done some lunar and planetary imaging at over 9 metres focal length.

What I have found is that once you get past the start point of sticking a phone camera or compact digital camera at a telescope lens is that you need to specialise. Nearly all of us are limited by time and budget. Even retired millionaires cannot do everything. I do a lot of general stuff with a DSLR, like lunar and bright DSOs. I also do lunar and planetary close-ups with a DSLR or webcam-type imager. I do not do long-exposure DSO astrophotography, partly due to lack of money and lack of time. Also at my age I haven't got that many years left to master it. My main interest is the Sun but it has been so quiet lately that it is hardly worth bothering.

One little sideline I have developed is snapping meteors. I work on the principle that if you point a camera in any part of the sky and take lots of frames, you will catch meteors. Recognised showers help but I recently caught 3 sporadics in just 2 nights.
                                                    Mars Ambassador
                                                    Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:58 am

Post by TareqPhoto »

Baurice wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:10 am As for stacking Barlows, I have done some lunar and planetary imaging at over 9 metres focal length.

What I have found is that once you get past the start point of sticking a phone camera or compact digital camera at a telescope lens is that you need to specialise. Nearly all of us are limited by time and budget. Even retired millionaires cannot do everything. I do a lot of general stuff with a DSLR, like lunar and bright DSOs. I also do lunar and planetary close-ups with a DSLR or webcam-type imager. I do not do long-exposure DSO astrophotography, partly due to lack of money and lack of time. Also at my age I haven't got that many years left to master it. My main interest is the Sun but it has been so quiet lately that it is hardly worth bothering.

One little sideline I have developed is snapping meteors. I work on the principle that if you point a camera in any part of the sky and take lots of frames, you will catch meteors. Recognised showers help but I recently caught 3 sporadics in just 2 nights.
                                                    What are you trying to tell me?
                                                              Baurice
                                                              Vendor
                                                              Vendor
                                                              Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:42 pm

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

TareqPhoto wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:32 am
                                                              Baurice wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:10 am As for stacking Barlows, I have done some lunar and planetary imaging at over 9 metres focal length.

It just seems that you have several ideas and don't know which way to go. In my opinion and experience, we can dabble in various branches of astrophotography but it is better to master one or two. I don't think there's any one size fits all rig. I would suggest a Mak for planetary imaging. I have a 127mm one, not just because of budget but also weight. Maks are expensive but worth it, in my opinion. I also use them for lunar close-ups. However, one of the best, if not the best planetary imager is Damian Peach.
                                                              Mars Ambassador
                                                              Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:58 am

Post by TareqPhoto »

Baurice wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:27 am
                                                              TareqPhoto wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:32 am

It just seems that you have several ideas and don't know which way to go. In my opinion and experience, we can dabble in various branches of astrophotography but it is better to master one or two. I don't think there's any one size fits all rig. I would suggest a Mak for planetary imaging. I have a 127mm one, not just because of budget but also weight. Maks are expensive but worth it, in my opinion. I also use them for lunar close-ups. However, one of the best, if not the best planetary imager is Damian Peach.
                                                              - I have a Mak, didn't like it for planetary really, or better to say in accurate, it is not enough at all, i want much bigger aperture to resolve more power in details.

- Damian Peach doesn't use 7" Mak, he is using C14, so double aperture than mine, and many said that he started smaller, i never car about what he started with, but with what he ended up, not only him but others of known names in planetary, all are using big aperture scopes, so big scope is what is missing, but my options above wasn't about only planetary, i never said i want a scope for everything, but i have to choose one, either a scope for DSO, or a scope for planetary, not both, and i don't know which one i will get busy more with in coming few months.

- I am happy with my 7" Mak for lunar imaging, amazing results, but it has limits for planets, i already used it for nearly 2 years and already decided i want larger, in fact there is one person in my country who bought C11 and C14 together and he put that C11 for sale immediately, and in only 1 year he wanted to upgrade from C14 to bigger one although he did amazing results with C14 itself, and being in my country it means going bigger for imaging is possible, seeing isn't bad here really, but people always mentioning seeing as hey think only best seeing is in islands or on top of mountain, in fact even with POOR seeing i will always prefer to use larger bigger scope anyway, but if it is nice seeing then what is the excuse for people not going larger.

- Budget is always tight or coming very very slow and late, so i have to decide at which scope every 3-4 months, means if i choose something for DSO now then i have to wait up to 4 months before i can get a scope for planetary, and vise versa, and that is why i ask which one should i do first, planets are out nowadays mainly those big ones, and Venus is also out and almost high, i don't think it will come back that high any soon, and i have to capture it very soon also before it is gone for long time, while i also wait for Cygnus constellation, full of DSO targets, but i need a better scope to do it, only a small cheap Newt can be very affordable and giving nice colors and i may not need to get rid of it if i buy a high end refractor, but i don't see many people are using those small affordable Newt, which keeps me doubting if it is a good idea going with the Newtonian for anything including planetary as well, regardless of its cons, i don't have a plan to buy a $700-1500 APO triplet that i know i can't sell and i will never use once i buy a Takahashi in future, so a refr is out of my plan and still have to look for a nice capable scope for either planetary or DSO imaging.
                                                                        Post Reply