Another night of dyslexic orientation

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Marcelo F. Portugal
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Another night of dyslexic orientation

Post by Marcelo F. »

I haven't used my telescope for more than 2 months (I've been a little lazy with the rainy weather). Last night the sky was clear and the moon had not yet risen on the horizon at 8pm. I took out my astronomy pocketbook, red light, telescope and went to see what could be observed. Orion was standing in front of me and the nebula area was easily identifiable with the naked eye. Since I live in a red zone my interest was not so much on the nebula itself, but trying to identify specific stars.
Let me see if I can see the 4 points of light, that compose the orion trapezium, with my maximum magnification available (75x).
I checked my pocketbook to see how I could identify which of the light points I was observing was the trapezium before I switched to the 4mm (75x) eyepiece.

Since I am in an observation position behind the tube, it is better to rotate the book 180 degrees to facilitate identification.

and it was like that
that I lost about 20min
to reach the conclusion
that the figure in the book was already in the correct orientation for those using a telescope.
And Yes, I was able to identify the trapezium and clearly see the 4 points of light.
Telescope: Dobson N 76/300 FirstScope DOB w/ DIY tripod adapter, 5x24 Finderscope.
Eps: 4mm Ramsden, 6mm Huygenian, 12.5mm Huygenian, 20mm Huygenian, 4mm Plossl, 10mm Plossl, 20mm Plossl, Barlow 2x, Barlow 3x, Barlow 5x, Solomark LP Filter, Dark Green Moon Filter.
Binoculars: Bresser National Geographic 7x50, Omegon Nightstar 20x80
Camera: none
Messier: 7/110
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Another night of dyslexic orientation

Post by KingClinton »

Well done on nabbing the famous Theta-1 Orionis cluster!

With a clear dark sky and the cluster at it's highest possible elevation(to improve your odds) try catch the E and F stars also.
A bit tricky but with the right conditions it can be done. Use your maximum magnification for these two.

Below is a chart taken from Free star charts, a link to the original is posted below.

images.jpeg
images.jpeg (6.95 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
https://freestarcharts.com/messier-42
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Thanks for the report on the trapezium.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

"Oh, how sweet it is!"
Thank you, Marcelo for your fine report.
I relate completely with your orientation calculus.
Thank you for posting this illustrated recounting of your outing.
More clear skies to you, Sir! 👍