Orange zone -vs- location for viewing question

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Orange zone -vs- location for viewing question

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Hi all,

I'm not a complete newbie, but I have been out of the loop for a while. I plan to get the best binos i can afford. I live in an Orange Bortles(?) Zone, and there is a very small hill nearby. But you can get above all the trees in the whole area. Would the light from the city wash out my view still, or would getting above the streetlights help a lot? Should i just get cheaper binos until i know for sure? Probably, huh? Thanks.

~Buckethead 2.0 (but anyone may call me Eric if you like)
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Orange zone -vs- location for viewing question

Post by JayTee »

Hi Eric,

I always recommend these binos when folks ask about an inexpensive pair because I own them and they work great and they are very inexpensive and collimatable should the need arise.
https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Falcon- ... B000051ZOA

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Hi Eric.
I am ignorant as to suggestions for urban observing as I live in the country, but binoculars have always been important tools for me.
The suggestion JT has made sounds good to me.
Clear skies to you!
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Hi Eric. LIke JT I have a pair of Bushnell 10x50's. They are an old hand-me-down I got from my parents years ago. Still work great, and I don't know how old they are actually.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

I had a pair of 10x50s a couple years ago, but then I stepped out of the hobby for a bit and unloaded some stuff. Good news is, I still have my observing chair like Bryan's! Thanks guys, I just put a pair in my Amazon cart. Oh! And I still have all my astronomy books I bought too.
~Eric
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Your plan was right. Get the best binos you can afford, after the cheap ones that are now coming to you! Get 45 or preferably 90 degree semi Apos 25x100 so you can use a regular tripod, they are not super expensive, about $1K at the German store for instance https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/in ... fnung.html. I looked through a pair of 25x100 Fujinons at the RTMC and that was the best wide field of the whole show. Good binos compete with the best scopes.

Disclaimer: I never looked through the ones in the link but am just fantasizing about them. I have 20x80 Celestron Skymasters that are very affordable and quite good for the money. I have some doubts about the actual diameter of those 90 degree binos but willing to take the chance if I didn't have more stuff than I can justify.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Eric, others have talked about the binoculars, I will talk about the environment you are in and your initial question. Staying in the same location, but being higher (on a hill) above the streetlights will do little for you. The reason is that the light that causes you to be in an orange zone is that which spreads outward and upward. Unless the streetlights are properly shielded to direct all light downwards, then their light is indeed moving out and up. So just getting yourself a few feet higher will not really do much for you with regard to overall sky glow conditions. Shielding yourself from their direct light will help you achieve and maintain better dark adaption and thus yield better contrast through the eyepiece(s), but the greater problem of the glow projected into the sky remains. The only way to change that is to remover yourself farther from the population centers so that the inherent glow is reduced.

For example, I also live in an orange zone. On the normal average night, based on the Bortle scale descriptions, I call it a level 5. However, on poor nights it can rate a Bortle 6 or even worse - particularly in summer. Our dark site, which falls just inside of a blue zone from a gray zone, averages a Bortle 3 and sometimes closer to Bortle 2. But on poor nights it can indeed drop to a Bortle 4 and close to 5 on really bad nights. But because of its location far from population centers, even on poorer nights there, I can still see much more than at home because the sky glow is far, far less. Hope that helps.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Moisture and dust / particles in the air scatter light pollution to some extent as well.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

kt4hx wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:46 am Eric, others have talked about the binoculars, I will talk about the environment you are in and your initial question. Staying in the same location, but being higher (on a hill) above the streetlights will do little for you. The reason is that the light that causes you to be in an orange zone is that which spreads outward and upward. Unless the streetlights are properly shielded to direct all light downwards, then their light is indeed moving out and up. So just getting yourself a few feet higher will not really do much for you with regard to overall sky glow conditions. Shielding yourself from their direct light will help you achieve and maintain better dark adaption and thus yield better contrast through the eyepiece(s), but the greater problem of the glow projected into the sky remains. The only way to change that is to remover yourself farther from the population centers so that the inherent glow is reduced.

For example, I also live in an orange zone. On the normal average night, based on the Bortle scale descriptions, I call it a level 5. However, on poor nights it can rate a Bortle 6 or even worse - particularly in summer. Our dark site, which falls just inside of a blue zone from a gray zone, averages a Bortle 3 and sometimes closer to Bortle 2. But on poor nights it can indeed drop to a Bortle 4 and close to 5 on really bad nights. But because of its location far from population centers, even on poorer nights there, I can still see much more than at home because the sky glow is far, far less. Hope that helps.
It absolutely does, thank you Alan!
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:29 am Your plan was right. Get the best binos you can afford, after the cheap ones that are now coming to you! Get 45 or preferably 90 degree semi Apos 25x100 so you can use a regular tripod, they are not super expensive, about $1K at the German store for instance https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/in ... fnung.html. I looked through a pair of 25x100 Fujinons at the RTMC and that was the best wide field of the whole show. Good binos compete with the best scopes.

Disclaimer: I never looked through the ones in the link but am just fantasizing about them. I have 20x80 Celestron Skymasters that are very affordable and quite good for the money. I have some doubts about the actual diameter of those 90 degree binos but willing to take the chance if I didn't have more stuff than I can justify.
Thank you, Henk!
~Eric
russmax
Mars Ambassador

Post by russmax »

I'm going to second what Alan (kt4hx) said. An open hill in the Bortle 8 city will not be a good place to do astronomy. You would be better to find an area surrounded by trees which would at least block your eyes and views from direct paths of city light. You will lose a bit of sky, but get better views of the sky you can see.

I have also found that quality telescopes and binoculars will surprise you with how much you will be able to view. Will you be able to see other galaxies or dim nebulae? Probably not. But planets, brighter nebulae and binaries will be viewable and impressive.

--Russmax
----------
Celestron AVX 8" SCT & Omni XLT 102 AZ
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

russmax wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:09 pm I'm going to second what Alan (kt4hx) said. An open hill in the Bortle 8 city will not be a good place to do astronomy. You would be better to find an area surrounded by trees which would at least block your eyes and views from direct paths of city light. You will lose a bit of sky, but get better views of the sky you can see.

I have also found that quality telescopes and binoculars will surprise you with how much you will be able to view. Will you be able to see other galaxies or dim nebulae? Probably not. But planets, brighter nebulae and binaries will be viewable and impressive.

--Russmax
Yes, thanks Russmax. I sort of have an idea what binos can do. I had a pair of 10x50 a while back. Well, it's not a biggy to go somewhere else if need be. It really isn't too bad at my house, except for a streetlight about 75 feet away, but it looks so bright like the mothership is landing. :lol:
~Eric
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Good move to get 10x50 Eric. I live in the orange zone and on a moonless night I could pick quite few brighter DSOs even with small binos.

If you are not in a harry scan your local and online classifieds, Goodwill etc. All binos in my collection were bought used, pennies on a dollar.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:28 pm Good move to get 10x50 Eric. I live in the orange zone and on a moonless night I could pick quite few brighter DSOs even with small binos.

If you are not in a harry scan your local and online classifieds, Goodwill etc. All binos in my collection were bought used, pennies on a dollar.
Thanks Bigzmey for the encouragement and suggestions!
~Eric