Extreme newbie here- help

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
jennyp712
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Extreme newbie here- help

Post by jennyp712 »

Hi guys, just got my new Nexstar 6SE. The skies today are cloudy and it is a full moon. I am not even attempting to use the GOTO. I just want to look at the moon manually. Using 32mm eyepiece, whcih is my biggest, and the 6SE having a focal length of 1500mm, with my scopefinder laser poionted at the center of the full moon, i can only see a hazy bright light. I have seen people posting pics of a full moon so, um, how does one does that? Sorry for the ignorant question but i hope you can sprare some advice.
Scope: Celestron Nexstar 6SE
Camera: Nikon D5600
jennyp712
Earth Ambassador

Re: Extreme newbie here- help

Post by jennyp712 »

I think the question should be, how do i see the moon in its entirety? I have read somewhere of such things as focal reducer?
BigKahuna United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BigKahuna »

The Focus knob on the 6SE/8SE has a pretty long range so it sounds like you aren't finding that point. In the daylight, aim on a distant point (like a tree a mile away) and see if you can get it to focus. You can also align the finder to the main scope at the same time. There are videos on YouTube on how to align the finder scope. Good luck, congrats on the new Telescope and here's a wish for clear skies)
Last edited by BigKahuna on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telescopes/Mounts : Explore Scientific ED102 or Celestron C6N on AVX, 8SE OTA on ASGT, NexStar 114GT/AZ, Meade ETX-90EC w/ Observer Base, Orion XT10i
Binoculars: Pentax 10x50
Camera : ZWO 533MC Pro, Canon EOS Rebel T6, ZWO ASI224MC

Clear Skies,
Ron
Member ASTRA-NJ

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

With your 32mm eyepiece, the full moon should easily fit into your field of view. It sounds like the eyepiece was not focused.

The focus knob on an SCT takes some getting used to. It requires about 50 turns to go from one end to the other. Although it takes many turns, be patient: you don't want to zoom through the in-focus position without noticing it.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
jennyp712
Earth Ambassador

Post by jennyp712 »

Thanks for the advice BigKahuna and KathyNS. Although I did turn the focuser a few times, it is probably not enough. You are probably right, I shall try doing the focusing thing the morning.
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Post by smp »

Remember that if you focus your scope on a distant target during the daytime, it will NOT be focussed and ready for viewing anything up in the sky at night. You will have to re-focus on the object that you are pointing at, the first time that night. Once you achieve proper focus on an object in the sky at night, you will only have to make minor focus adjustments as you move from one object to another in the sky.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Achieving focus takes a little practice. It is a bit different on every scope, and a longer process on an SCT.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

On the SE models there is a lot of travel of one end of focus to the other. It will be a bit if a steep learning curve, but keep asking questions here and that will speed things along.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

jennyp712
Earth Ambassador

Post by jennyp712 »

Thank you guys all so much for the advice! Much appreciated
Jay6821 United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by Jay6821 »

Congratulations on the new scope!

As another somewhat newbie myself (less than a year) I can tell you that everything it a little bit harder then the Celestron advertising copy would lead you to believe.

Another thing I didn't consider is that this hobby is generally done in the dark at the end of the day when you may be tired. Getting familiar with your scope and practicing during the daytime is great advice.
Celestron NexStar Evolution 8, StarSense AutoAlign, 1.25 "Stellarvue Dielectric Diagonal, Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces, 2" Celestron diagonal, 2" Luminos eyepieces

Celestron Wedge, Canon EOS 7D

Oberwerk 20x65 ED Deluxe binoculars, Oberwerk 8x42 Sport ED binoculars, Oberwerk Series 4000 tripod with Series 5000 head, Oberwerk Series 2000 monopod (for airline travel)
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Hi Jay,

Sorry to steal the thread, how are you finding the RACI ?

I’m considering for replacing the red dot 🔴 mind you, not cheap.
Cheers,

Tony.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

jennyp712 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:55 am
Jay6821 wrote: this hobby is generally done in the dark at the end of the day when you may be tired. Getting familiar with your scope and practicing during the daytime is great advice.
In fact, I set up during daylight. For one thing, it lets my instruments get to ambient temperature. However, as Jay said, you can work better in the light. At night, you need to know what you are feeling as you reach for things and change eyepieces, etc. If the moon is up, I take advantage of that in daylight. Right now, I have been using Venus to get started. Plenty of light; easy target. If I drop something, I can find it. :D

Mike M.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Generally on a go to scope one does not need a RACI , red dot finder is fine and easier to use for set up RACI finders work for Dobs but for MCT and SCT I prefer normal finders but thats just me
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Richard wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:08 pm Generally on a go to scope one does not need a RACI , red dot finder is fine and easier to use for set up RACI finders work for Dobs but for MCT and SCT I prefer normal finders but thats just me
Hi Richard,

Red dot is rather difficult for me to align, in particular when the scope is pointing close to the celestial pole. My neck and back are not as flexible as they once were, plus I find the standard red dot finder too close to the body of the SCT, and it's too easy to adjust the wrong knob (in place of the attenuator) and turn the height adjustment. These are the main reasons for wanting to go back to a more conventional finder. As you say it's probably just preference :think:
Cheers,

Tony.

ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

A RACI by itself can be difficult to use, because of its smaller FOV. Basically, it can be difficult to find a naked eye visible star in a RACI. Not impossible, just difficult enough to keep it out of the comfort zone. On Dobs people usually use a RACI in addition to a Red Dot. The Red Dot gets the RACI close to the target area.

Maybe a Rigel Finder attached (uses double sided tape) to the front of the SCT will work better for you? Or if you can manage to raise the Red Dot Finder somehow.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

ARock wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:05 pm
Maybe a Rigel Finder attached (uses double sided tape) to the front of the SCT will work better for you? Or if you can manage to raise the Red Dot Finder somehow.
Now that looks very interesting thanks ARock :text-thankyoublue:
Cheers,

Tony.

jennyp712
Earth Ambassador

Post by jennyp712 »

Jay6821 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:22 am Congratulations on the new scope!

As another somewhat newbie myself (less than a year) I can tell you that everything it a little bit harder then the Celestron advertising copy would lead you to believe.

Another thing I didn't consider is that this hobby is generally done in the dark at the end of the day when you may be tired. Getting familiar with your scope and practicing during the daytime is great advice.

Thanks, Jay. As much as I would love to use my new scope more, you are right, this hobby is generally done in the dark at the end of the day when you are tired and we havent been blessed with clear skies lately here in Sydney since I bought it two weeks ago. I havent tried the alignment nor the Goto as there is no point if there arent any clearly visible stars. I did manage to see the moon during the how many days of full moon and it was fabulous. So far i have been using it manually. LOL.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

You can set the telescope up in the daytime and do a one star align on an arbitrary point.
Direction does not matter just make it a star that is around the south pole area.
This will let you familiarize yourself with the menus and operation during the day.

Before you do that, you should set your backlash settings which are easiest done during the day and takes about 10 minutes to do.
Enjoy the telescope when you can. :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Jay6821 United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by Jay6821 »

Greenman wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:11 am Hi Jay,

Sorry to steal the thread, how are you finding the RACI ?

I’m considering for replacing the red dot 🔴 mind you, not cheap.
I like it, although I would recommend a Telrad over the RACI. I have both. The Celestron RACI comes with absolutely no directions which I think is really bad for the consumer. I did a lot of googling and discovered that the RACI made by Meade is virtually identical, made in the same Chinese factory, and it comes with directions. The RACI is especially handy doing a precise daytime alignment between the finder scope and your telescope, especially if you have a rectile eyepiece for your telescope (with the same illuminated crosshairs). However, at night it can still be challenging to use. I've heard it described as like looking through a soda straw to try and find something.

The Telrad on the other hand is super easy to find stuff with. I can find stuff with the Telrad, fine tune it with the RACI, and then look through my scope. I resisted getting a Telrad because of the extra money, and also because it is "butt ugly." But it works well and is worth the money. It's light years better than the red dot finder.
Celestron NexStar Evolution 8, StarSense AutoAlign, 1.25 "Stellarvue Dielectric Diagonal, Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces, 2" Celestron diagonal, 2" Luminos eyepieces

Celestron Wedge, Canon EOS 7D

Oberwerk 20x65 ED Deluxe binoculars, Oberwerk 8x42 Sport ED binoculars, Oberwerk Series 4000 tripod with Series 5000 head, Oberwerk Series 2000 monopod (for airline travel)
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Sounds like a good reason to go Telrad; I see that for around 1/3 of the cost of the Celestron Raci?
Cheers,

Tony.