Solar Filter

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Solar Filter

Post by Jnicholes »

I have an 80 mm refractor, focal length is 900 mm. I'm just curious if anybody knows of a solar filter that would fit my telescope. I'm completely new to solar viewing, And I know you need a solar filter before you try or else you will go blind.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a solar filter?
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
stewe

Re: Solar Filter

Post by stewe »

I always used Solar safety films and worked very well. As opposed to glass filters, they do not color the image and you cannot brake them :) Check out, for example the Baader safety films:
https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/s ... 80mm).html
You can buy them with an adjustable mounting bracket that fits your scope's diameter.
And one word of advice: I recommend using some duct tape in addition to the bracket's fastening mechanism to fix the filter bracket to the telescope tube. One cannot be cautious enough when it comes to Solar observations.
Dragonsfire Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Dragonsfire »

Neil
Orion XT8i Dob, ES AR102
9x50 RACI Finder, TELRAD Reflex Sight, Electro Dot Sight RD400X
Agena SWA 38mm 70 FOV 2" EP, Orion 25+10mm Sirius Plossl 52 FOV EP
ES 82* 11mm, 18mm 2", ES 68* 24mm, 6mm, 25mm Ortho. EP, Televue 3X Barlow,CS lens 2.8mm-12mm F1.4
Filters Baader Continuum, UV/IF cut, Lumicon UHC, DGM OIII. ND5/3.8 Kendrick
GX1 Lumix, E-PM2, ASI224mc, SteadyPix Deluxe, iOptron SkyTracker 7.7lb
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The Baader Solar Film gives the best resolution for white light viewing and there are many examples of how to build a cell to hold it in place.
Just be sure the cell fits over your dewshield snugly and there is no chance of it falling off or being blown off in a breeze.
Also either make one for your finder if a optical one or just remove it completely.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi, I have pretty much the same scope. I used Baader film (IMO the best) and you can look on the net as Gabby said for ideas. It's quite easy; some cardboard and duct tape will do. Just be sure to leave the film so it's wrinkly, not pulled flat.
The solar finderscope I made from an L-bracket welded to a 3/4" wide piece of steel and some plastic with a long bolt. You can even get a 3/4" wide L-bracket; might be easier... You move the scope so the shadow of the bolt disappears, and there's the Sun in your eyepiece/camera!

I've had mine for 3 years, no problems :D
01.JPG
02.jpg
03.JPG
Image003.png

Just some ideas, but it does put up a great image, especially during no Solar minimum... ;)

I took this over the weekend, just because it was clear out for once. This is an example of what you could probably get; I used a lowly Canon T3.
Sun_2020_02_05_s.png

Remember, always be safe! :)
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. I forgot to mention that I'm just exploring the idea, it's not set in stone if I'm going to do it or not.

I might just do it as soon as I get the money to get The proper filter.
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

For your size scope, you can make a solar filter using an 8"X8" sheet of Baader solar film (Amazon $20) and the top of a Pizza box (Dominos $8) as long as there is no grease on it! Once you have these supplies, you'll need a pair of scissors and tape (Scotch, Masking, Duct take your pick). This is one of the simplest DIYs for our scopes.

CAVEAT: it may be a simple build but if it leaks light, disastrous consequences result! So just pay attention to what you're doing and build it carefully.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I've used this style made from sheet filter materials for more than 20 years.

http://joe-cali.com/eclipses/EQUIPMENT/ ... lters.html

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
TCampbell United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by TCampbell »

In white light filters, you can use solar film ... like these: http://thousandoaksoptical.com/shop/sol ... solarlite/
(NOTE: these fit over the front of the telescope like a cap/cover. This means they are sized based on the physical diameter of the front of your optical tube... not the optical aperture.)

OR... for highest levels of clarity, you can use a Herschel wight light "Solar Wedge". I have one made by Lunt: https://luntsolarsystems.com/shop/solar ... ar-wedges/

That's the one I have ... but you can search for "white light solar wedge" or "herschel wedge" to find others.

Note that a weight light "solar wedge" (aka Herschel wedge) replaces the diagonal at the BACK of the telescope. There is no filter on the front of the scope. This means that ALL of the energy of the sun passes through the scope. For this reason, pay strict attention to the size recommendations. They are typically best on refractors of 4" or smaller. The light passes through the scope and hits the diagonal ... which has a heat sink to off-load heat. Instead of a solid mirror, it's somewhat transparent glass so that only a tiny percentage of light is reflected up to the eyepiece and most of the light passes through to the heat sink.

These wedges are more expensive (e.g. $300) but I've used numerous white light filters on the front of various scopes ... and nothing comes even remotely close to the level of detail I can see through the wedge.

Due to a side-effect of the way these work, they end up polarizing the light. This means if you put a linear polarizer on the end of the eyepiece, you can rotate the eyepiece to dim the brightness of the sun when viewing.

Also, when doing 'white light' through a refractor, Baader makes something called the "solar continuum filter" (it's green). It's a broadband filter which narrows the spectrum to reduce chromatic aberration (color fringing) common in achromatic refractors to produce a sharper image.

You can go in a completely different direction by getting into Hydrogen alpha solar observing. But this is a lot more expensive.
Scopes: PlaneWave 12.5 CDK - Meade 14" LX200-ACF - TeleVue NP101is - Lunt LS80Ha
Mounts: Losmandy G11 - Losmandy GM8 - Losmandy StarLapse
Cameras: Canon 60Da - ZWO ASI128MC-Pro - ZWO ASI174MM-Cool - ZWO ASI174MM-Mini
Software (Raspberry Pi): ZWO ASIair - StellarMate / Software (Mac): AstroImager - AstroDSLR - AstroGuider
Wish list items: Weather Controller
Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Michael131313 »

I just got through making a DIY solar filter with Baader Solar Film from Agena ($20). Pretty much followed the enclosed instructions. Made it to fit on the dew shield of my AR102. I used heavy poster board which was probably overkill. It is rock solid and I added two strings on either side so I could tie it securely to the scopes handle and rail. Works great.
ES AR 102 102mm, f/6.5, ES 254mm f/5 DOB, Obie 10x50, GSO SV 30mm, ES 68° 20mm, ES 82° 14mm, 11mm, 8.8 mm, 6.8mm, 4.7mm. Twilight 1 mount.
Burris
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Burris »

if you have a dedicated "SOLAR" scope like a Lunt, it can take the heat. But with a regular SCT, MAK, or refractor, use solar film on the front/ objective lens. They are not designed to take the heat passing thru the optical tube. Bill
Harmonious
Earth Ambassador

Post by Harmonious »

A sheet of solar film is the way to go for the highest cost/benefit ratio. I've made several using a variety of materials for the frames. Just use material that does not quickly degrade in sunlight.

I'm sure the commercial jobs with frames are nice, but here is the thing, the most important thing. there is very little to see in a white light filter. We are in a long period of low sun spot activity, really no sunspots to see. https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/re ... i_igr/512/

Put it off until we come out of the minimum or spend a great deal more for a setup that will allow you to see proms and surface details.
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Jnicholes wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:21 pm Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. I forgot to mention that I'm just exploring the idea, it's not set in stone if I'm going to do it or not.

I might just do it as soon as I get the money to get The proper filter.
As this is an awfully bad solar minimum, there's no rush. Sunspots have been very rare recently.
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

TCampbell wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:28 pm In white light filters, you can use solar film ... like these: http://thousandoaksoptical.com/shop/sol ... solarlite/
(NOTE: these fit over the front of the telescope like a cap/cover. This means they are sized based on the physical diameter of the front of your optical tube... not the optical aperture.)

OR... for highest levels of clarity, you can use a Herschel wight light "Solar Wedge". I have one made by Lunt: https://luntsolarsystems.com/shop/solar ... ar-wedges/

That's the one I have ... but you can search for "white light solar wedge" or "herschel wedge" to find others.

Note that a weight light "solar wedge" (aka Herschel wedge) replaces the diagonal at the BACK of the telescope. There is no filter on the front of the scope. This means that ALL of the energy of the sun passes through the scope. For this reason, pay strict attention to the size recommendations. They are typically best on refractors of 4" or smaller. The light passes through the scope and hits the diagonal ... which has a heat sink to off-load heat. Instead of a solid mirror, it's somewhat transparent glass so that only a tiny percentage of light is reflected up to the eyepiece and most of the light passes through to the heat sink.

These wedges are more expensive (e.g. $300) but I've used numerous white light filters on the front of various scopes ... and nothing comes even remotely close to the level of detail I can see through the wedge.

Due to a side-effect of the way these work, they end up polarizing the light. This means if you put a linear polarizer on the end of the eyepiece, you can rotate the eyepiece to dim the brightness of the sun when viewing.

Also, when doing 'white light' through a refractor, Baader makes something called the "solar continuum filter" (it's green). It's a broadband filter which narrows the spectrum to reduce chromatic aberration (color fringing) common in achromatic refractors to produce a sharper image.

You can go in a completely different direction by getting into Hydrogen alpha solar observing. But this is a lot more expensive.
The last point is very true. I consider myself lucky to own anything at all but I'm not getting much from my Coronado PST because the Sun is so quiet.
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

TCampbell wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:28 pm In white light filters, you can use solar film ... like these: http://thousandoaksoptical.com/shop/sol ... solarlite/

The last point is very true. I consider myself lucky to own anything at all but I'm not getting much from my Coronado PST because the Sun is so quiet.