Recommendations, for impossible to meet criteria

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Recommendations, for impossible to meet criteria

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:17 pm
OldGaot wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:50 pm I feel myself slowly descending into the depths of analysis paralysis. So let's start slashing away. Looks like these are the main recommendations
Orion StarSeeker iv 127mm with goto at $700
Orion ED80 with the Orion Starseeker go to mount for $850 or
Vixen ED80SV @ $750 + $400 for the star seeker mount for a total of $1150
Celestron nexstar 6SE $700

What's the favorite?

(Also, can anyone tell me how wide the tripod is when fully extended...looks like I may be able to claim a small corner of the den as a semi-permanent location)
Thanks to all for your input!
I assume you mean the Vixen 80Sf? https://www.vixenoptics.com/Vixen-ED80S ... p/2617.htm
I am a Vixen fan so of course I would recommend it ;), the SV (Stellarvue) 80mm is also very highly recommended but then your budget will be going out the window very quickly :lol:
The Vixen is indeed a fine scope. The SV 80 is going with me to my grave unless my grandson really impresses me and earns it. If I didn't have the SV I'd want the Vixen.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
OldGaot
Earth Ambassador

Post by OldGaot »

Thanks, nFA, for the dimensions
OldGaot
Earth Ambassador

Post by OldGaot »

OK, so it looks like I am now down to 2. The Orion Starseeker 127 @ $700 or the Vixen @ $1150 (including the same mount/tripod as on the Orion). Given those two.
Which will provide the better views of the planets? Which is better for terrestrial use? Is one easier to use? What about the accessories? Any difference there in terms of options or pricing? Finally, which is easier to use with a DSLR (not long exposure stuff but rather critters in the daytime and planets at night??
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

There are other aspects to consider when choosing between two different types of telescopes. The Maksutov has more aperture, and costs less. A Maksutov in the 5" range is the sweet-spot among the varying apertures of the design. You do have to set the telescope outdoors for an hour or so in order to adjust to the outdoor temperature, and for distortion-free views. Also, an absorptive dew-shield is must, not an option. Being a reflector, all reflectors require collimation. A Maksutov, however, is the least likely to require alignment of its mirrors upon arrival...

The length of the Maksutov is 14.5", which is quite suitable for the "StarSeeker IV" go-to mount, and in being able to observe near or at the zenith, directly overhead, with ease.

Incidentally, the "lens" at the front of a Maksutov is nothing of the sort. It is, rather, a corrective plate of glass, a meniscus, and to correct certain error(s) of the main mirror at the rear. The meniscus does not collect light, and must be protected from dew.

The Vixen ED80SF has a length of 22.5". You can certainly place it on the "StarSeeker IV" mount, but you might have difficulty observing near or at the zenith, depending. At 80mm, it may not be much of a problem.

The Vixen is a refractor, and requiring virtually no collimation. Being a doublet, the telescope would acclimate in 15 minutes or less, and for distortion-free views. Then, there is the smaller 80mm aperture. A larger aperture not only increases the brightness of an object, but also the resolution; that is, the level of detail seen.

Ergonomics aside, a refractor provides the sharpest and most contrasty images over all other designs of telescopes; all other telescopes being reflectors instead, and utilising mirrors.

In wanting a go-to mount, you are going to be limited as to your choices among refractors; like this one for instance...

https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech- ... l?___SID=U
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Alan :Astronomer1:

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

OldGaot wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:37 pm OK, so it looks like I am now down to 2. The Orion Starseeker 127 @ $700 or the Vixen @ $1150 (including the same mount/tripod as on the Orion). Given those two.
Which will provide the better views of the planets? Which is better for terrestrial use? Is one easier to use? What about the accessories? Any difference there in terms of options or pricing? Finally, which is easier to use with a DSLR (not long exposure stuff but rather critters in the daytime and planets at night??
The Orion will provide a better view of planets due to the larger aperture. The central obstruction decreases contrast slightly but a good rule of thumb is that 127mm (aperture) - 33mm (obstruction) = 94mm effective clear aperture which beats the Vixen's 80mm.

The Orion comes with a complete accessory kit that will get you started. You might want to upgrade eyepieces or a better power supply along the way but you won't need anything to start. The Vixen will need eyepieces. The Vixen NPL Plossls are excellent and economical.

You need an erecting prism diagonal in both cases. The recommendations up thread are good. I happen to use an Orion erecting prism on my VMC110L. That scope has a flip mirror as well. BTW the only reason I'm not recommending the Vixen VMC110L is that the collimation may be difficult at first. Mine arrived out of collimation and with the collimating screws glued in place. I needed to delicately remove the glue with paint thinner to fix it.

The Vixen has superior fit and finish. I really like the flip mirror included for encouraging photography. With the Orion you'd not have that.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
OldGaot
Earth Ambassador

Post by OldGaot »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:06 am
OldGaot wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:37 pm OK, so it looks like I am now down to 2. The Orion Starseeker 127 @ $700 or the Vixen @ $1150 (including the same mount/tripod as on the Orion). Given those two.
The Orion will provide a better view of planets due to the larger aperture. The central obstruction decreases contrast slightly but a good rule of thumb is that 127mm (aperture) - 33mm (obstruction) = 94mm effective clear aperture which beats the Vixen's 80mm.

The Orion comes with a complete accessory kit that will get you started. You might want to upgrade eyepieces or a better power supply along the way but you won't need anything to start. The Vixen will need eyepieces. The Vixen NPL Plossls are excellent and economical.

You need an erecting prism diagonal in both cases. The recommendations up thread are good. I happen to use an Orion erecting prism on my VMC110L. That scope has a flip mirror as well. BTW the only reason I'm not recommending the Vixen VMC110L is that the collimation may be difficult at first. Mine arrived out of collimation and with the collimating screws glued in place. I needed to delicately remove the glue with paint thinner to fix it.

The Vixen has superior fit and finish. I really like the flip mirror included for encouraging photography. With the Orion you'd not have that.
Based on this and all the other info you and others have posted, I'm going with the Orion. Saves me money allowing me to feel more comfortable purchasing higher-quality accessories. Thanks to you and every one else for the advice and counsel. It is greatly appreciated. Now....
OldGaot
Earth Ambassador

Post by OldGaot »

Sky Tinker wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:50 pm The images through the Orion 4.7" Maksutov would be somewhat sharper than through the Celestron 5" or 6" Schmidts.

In so far as an Amici, erect-image 45° diagonal, this one has the largest aperture, and at 25mm...

https://agenaastro.com/william-optics-1 ... gonal.html

If daytime/terrestrial use is important to you, that's the one to get; or the Baader at 24mm...

https://agenaastro.com/baader-1-25-90-a ... 56150.html

The ones provided with telescope kits are at about 18mm; for example...

https://agenaastro.com/celestron-1-25-4 ... gonal.html

You may also want to upgrade the star-diagonal included within whichever kit you choose, and a star-prism for either, rather than a star-mirror. But at first the one included with the kit should serve.

If the atmosphere is cooperative, and the telescope acclimated, you should be able to see the shadows of Jupiter's moons cast upon the planet's surface, even.

I have three binoculars, and I rarely if ever bring them out at night.
ACCESSORIES!
So definitely need the erecting prism. This would be https://agenaastro.com/william-optics-1 ... gonal.html and used in lieu of the image diagonal you linked. It also sounds like the prism diagonal https://agenaastro.com/baader-1-25-90-a ... 56150.html will improve the image and is a worthwhile purchase? What about eyepieces, are there any I should get in addition to those that are included? Anything else, like filters? Of course, I will also need to get the necessary items to attach my DSLR. Anything to be aware of or are all Canon t-adapters the same?
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Sky Tinker wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:37 am There are other aspects to consider when choosing between two different types of telescopes. The Maksutov has more aperture, and costs less. A Maksutov in the 5" range is the sweet-spot among the varying apertures of the design. You do have to set the telescope outdoors for an hour or so in order to adjust to the outdoor temperature, and for distortion-free views. Also, an absorptive dew-shield is must, not an option.
I've owned Mak's for years. The first three things I learned about them were that they have a limited FOV, took some time to reach equilibrium and most definitely needed a dew shield.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

OldGaot wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:06 pm
Sky Tinker wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:50 pm The images through the Orion 4.7" Maksutov would be somewhat sharper than through the Celestron 5" or 6" Schmidts.

In so far as an Amici, erect-image 45° diagonal, this one has the largest aperture, and at 25mm...

https://agenaastro.com/william-optics-1 ... gonal.html

If daytime/terrestrial use is important to you, that's the one to get; or the Baader at 24mm...

https://agenaastro.com/baader-1-25-90-a ... 56150.html

The ones provided with telescope kits are at about 18mm; for example...

https://agenaastro.com/celestron-1-25-4 ... gonal.html

You may also want to upgrade the star-diagonal included within whichever kit you choose, and a star-prism for either, rather than a star-mirror. But at first the one included with the kit should serve.

If the atmosphere is cooperative, and the telescope acclimated, you should be able to see the shadows of Jupiter's moons cast upon the planet's surface, even.

I have three binoculars, and I rarely if ever bring them out at night.
ACCESSORIES!
So definitely need the erecting prism. This would be https://agenaastro.com/william-optics-1 ... gonal.html and used in lieu of the image diagonal you linked. It also sounds like the prism diagonal https://agenaastro.com/baader-1-25-90-a ... 56150.html will improve the image and is a worthwhile purchase? What about eyepieces, are there any I should get in addition to those that are included? Anything else, like filters? Of course, I will also need to get the necessary items to attach my DSLR. Anything to be aware of or are all Canon t-adapters the same?
I'll bet those WO and Baader 45 degree Amicis are identical and probably made by Kunming United Optical. I have the WO 45 degree.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

I keep looking at this Orion, I'll probably never buy it though lol.

https://www.orionoptics.co.uk/OMC/omcmaksutovcasse.html
AbbN
In Memory
In Memory

Post by AbbN »

For terrestrial viewing you're going to need a correct-image diagonal and you did say that you're going to use whatever you get for " terrestrial viewing most of the time". My Orion 102 Mak came with one and it can be used for for astronomy although I replaced it with a spare 90° star diagonal I had as I don't do terrestrial. The StarSeeker IV that was mentioned does not come with a correct-image diagonal.

Abb
TELESCOPES: Celestron Omni XLT 120, Explore Scientific AR102, Orion ST80 Refractors; 8" Skywatcher Dob; Orion Apex 102 Mak; Coronado PST. LENSES: ES 4.7, 6.7, 11, 18 and 30mm 82° EPs; Baader 24mm 68°; Luminos 15mm 82°; Meade 8-24mm Zoom. OTHER: CG4+16" Orion Pier Extension; Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binos etc;
Bortle 8 :(
OldGaot
Earth Ambassador

Post by OldGaot »

About how long does it take to acclimatize? I've read that these smaller ones don't take nearly as long but never saw anything specific. The kit from Orion comes with 23mm (67x) and 10mm (154x) wide-field 60-degree eyepieces, 90-degree star diagonal.

The list of accessories right now would be:
dew shield
The Williams erect image (might as well save $12 if they are essentially the same)
T adapter for the Canon (I also saw mention of a flip mirror...thoughts on those? am I getting ahead of myself :)
Still confused by the star diagonal and star prism upgrades. If the star prism is applicable to all viewing, seems like a reasonable thing to upgrade but I have no idea what to get
And should I get another eyepiece for terrestrial use?
What about a barlow?
Finally is Agena the preferred supplier for accessories?
Thanks
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

OldGaot wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:05 pm About how long does it take to acclimatize? I've read that these smaller ones don't take nearly as long but never saw anything specific. The kit from Orion comes with 23mm (67x) and 10mm (154x) wide-field 60-degree eyepieces, 90-degree star diagonal.

The list of accessories right now would be:
dew shield
The Williams erect image (might as well save $12 if they are essentially the same)
T adapter for the Canon (I also saw mention of a flip mirror...thoughts on those? am I getting ahead of myself :)
Still confused by the star diagonal and star prism upgrades. If the star prism is applicable to all viewing, seems like a reasonable thing to upgrade but I have no idea what to get
And should I get another eyepiece for terrestrial use?
What about a barlow?
Finally is Agena the preferred supplier for accessories?
Thanks
It's small enough that 15 minutes to a half hour with extreme temperatures should do.

An erecting prism is essential for your intended use. Apart from that I'd wait on additional eyepieces and diagonals (prism or mirror) since individual physiology and preferences vary. Get some experience with the kit you've selected first and see what works well for you. Do you want to observe with or without eyeglasses? Some eyepieces make using glasses difficult.

I find that Barlows degrade images slightly and hardly ever use them. Maks reach higher magnification easily. I do use 0.5x focal reducers to get lower power views as more useful. Agena has some that screw into the eyepiece.

Agena is convenient and provides good service. I use them and Highpoint Scientific a lot.

I like flip mirrors other don't. For daytime photography probably unnecessary. More useful for night time work.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

I find that my 90mm and 102mm Synta Mak's can take up to 40 minutes to properly attain thermal equilibrium. The 127mm Mak can take a fair bit longer. 15 minutes is extremely optimistic for a 127mm in my experience.
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

Shorty Barlow wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:50 pm I keep looking at this Orion, I'll probably never buy it though lol.

That's a nice-looking scope.
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Voyageur wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:57 pm
Shorty Barlow wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:50 pm I keep looking at this Orion, I'll probably never buy it though lol.

It's not that expensive either. Their Mak's are a bit unusual in some respects but they have a good reputation.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Shorty Barlow wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:43 pm I find that my 90mm and 102mm Synta Mak's can take up to 40 minutes to properly attain thermal equilibrium. The 127mm Mak can take a fair bit longer. 15 minutes is extremely optimistic for a 127mm in my experience.
With forethought in the form of cold soaking prior to intended use the wait time is reducible to zero. :lol: It depends on initial versus final temperature.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Shorty Barlow wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:12 pm

It's not that expensive either. Their Mak's are a bit unusual in some respects but they have a good reputation.
I dunno, 6,000 GBP? Not that expensive? :)
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:16 pm
Shorty Barlow wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:43 pm I find that my 90mm and 102mm Synta Mak's can take up to 40 minutes to properly attain thermal equilibrium. The 127mm Mak can take a fair bit longer. 15 minutes is extremely optimistic for a 127mm in my experience.
With forethought in the form of cold soaking prior to intended use the wait time is reducible to zero. :lol: It depends on initial versus final temperature.
Well, leaving it outside permanently might address the problem. Taking a cold shower before observing seems an unusual discipline.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:18 pm
Shorty Barlow wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:12 pm

I dunno, 6,000 GBP? Not that expensive? :)

Maybe I'm missing something?

https://www.orionoptics.co.uk/OMC/omc140maksutovca.html