Recommendations, for impossible to meet criteria

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Recommendations, for impossible to meet criteria

Post by Sky Tinker »

I can see that you're a big fan of Amici-prisms.

"I don't see the disadvantage in a smaller aperture diagonal for viewing bright planetary objects or the Moon."

The views of the smaller, brighter objects appear rather compromised via my cheaper GSO 90° Amici. Perhaps I'll take an afocal-shot of the effect some day.

"What design and manufacturing difficulties are there exactly with larger Amicis?"

Apparently, the manufacturers can make a cheap star-prism with a large aperture, but not a cheap Amici-prism with a large aperture. Then, there's that pesky Amici-line. Hopefully that is improved as the cost goes up.

"It is impossible to totally eliminate the spike but I've never seen it viewing the Moon even with a poorly constructed prism."

The Moon is bright, but it is not a small object; not nearly as small as a planet. I had said nothing about the Moon in that regard, as you won't see an Amici-line whilst viewing the Moon.

"The 90º WO Amici..."

Alas, I would never suggest Amici-prisms for celestial observations. However, this one might show hope and promise...

...no Amici-line, whatsoever. That's the only one I would consider for use at night; that is, if I wanted the views to match the orientations of my maps and charts. But for myself, it has never been a desire or need.
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Alan :Astronomer1:

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Sky Tinker wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:55 pm I can see that you're a big fan of Amici-prisms.

"I don't see the disadvantage in a smaller aperture diagonal for viewing bright planetary objects or the Moon."

The views of the smaller, brighter objects appear rather compromised via my cheaper GSO 90° Amici. Perhaps I'll take an afocal-shot of the effect some day.

"What design and manufacturing difficulties are there exactly with larger Amicis?"

Apparently, the manufacturers can make a cheap star-prism with a large aperture, but not a cheap Amici-prism with a large aperture. Then, there's that pesky Amici-line. Hopefully that is improved as the cost goes up.

"It is impossible to totally eliminate the spike but I've never seen it viewing the Moon even with a poorly constructed prism."

The Moon is bright, but it is not a small object; not nearly as small as a planet. I had said nothing about the Moon in that regard, as you won't see an Amici-line whilst viewing the Moon.

"The 90º WO Amici..."

Alas, I would never suggest Amici-prisms for celestial observations. However, this one might show hope and promise...

...no Amici-line, whatsoever. That's the only one I would consider for use at night; that is, if I wanted the views to match the orientations of my maps and charts. But for myself, it has never been a desire or need.

I've used Amici prisms long enough to realise much of what's written about them is basically bollocks. The less expensive ones are pretty good for rich field. Times have changed.

https://www.telescope.com/The-Advantage ... 106656.uts

I'm with Roger Ivester on this, and his 'Orion' diagonal is undoubtedly Synta in origin. He sums it up pretty well.

Sky Tinker wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:55 pmApparently, the manufacturers can make a cheap star-prism with a large aperture, but not a cheap Amici-prism with a large aperture.

Yeah, it's a mystery to me as well. My guess is that it's a legacy from the days when Amici prisms were only really intended for white light viewing.

I've seen other versions of the pentaprisms, I haven't used one yet. It might be interesting to compare them with my Baader Zeiss and APM Amici prisms. They appear a bit bulky, probably won't fit in my bino box though lol.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I never use an erecting prism at night. To much light loss in a long optical path. When I DO need an erect image for terrestrial viewing, this one is good enough for my purposes.

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-1 ... p/7216.uts

I can't comment on the other alternatives since I've neither used nor needed them.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

"I've used Amici prisms long enough to realise much of what's written about them is basically bollocks."

All I have is my personal experience. In the case of my GSO 90°, which, incidentally, appears identical to Roger Ivester's Orion 90°, there wasn't a streak jutting out quite as much as with a 45°, but rather the center of the image was smeared, and no doubt caused by its Amici-line...
GSO Amici line.jpg
Undoubtedly, Ivester's Orion is in possession of one of those, too.

Back and forth I had swapped it with an equally-cheap Celestron star-prism. The experience was most revealing.

In any event, the OP is wanting a 45° Amici for daytime-terrestrial use. Although, I suppose a 90° might be used during the day, and for spying on a bird's nest perched atop a California redwood.
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

It's interesting how the Orion 45° Amici looks a lot like this Meade, and for much less outlay...

https://agenaastro.com/meade-928-1-25-4 ... prism.html

But with either one of those, I would expect vignetting with at least a 32mmm Plossl.

OldGaot
Earth Ambassador

Post by OldGaot »

Well, I think I'm thoroughly confused with respect to the accessories. I HAVE to get an image inverter or I will never hear the end of it when my wife looks through it! :D But I now have no idea which one I should get. I am definitely thinking the 32mm plossel and zoom make a whole lot of sense... I will refrain from opining on the various flavors of Unix (been there heard that)
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Sky Tinker wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:01 am "I've used Amici prisms long enough to realise much of what's written about them is basically bollocks."

All I have is my personal experience. In the case of my GSO 90°, which, incidentally, appears identical to Roger Ivester's Orion 90°, there wasn't a streak jutting out quite as much as with a 45°, but rather the center of the image was smeared, and no doubt caused by its Amici-line...

GSO Amici line.jpg

Undoubtedly, Ivester's Orion is in possession of one of those, too.

Back and forth I had swapped it with an equally-cheap Celestron star-prism. The experience was most revealing.

In any event, the OP is wanting a 45° Amici for daytime-terrestrial use. Although, I suppose a 90° might be used during the day, and for spying on a bird's nest perched atop a California redwood.
There's probable QC variation, but the only lemon I have is the Antares. I have several of the WO helicals, old and new style, and they are very good. I have some of the Omegon as well, good sized prisms with no adverse visuals, apart from the occasional hint of a diffraction spike. The APM and Baader Zeiss are in a class of their own. I've never seen vignetting with an Amici, As I said, most of what I've read (mostly bollocks) doesn't correspond with what I've actually experienced. YMMV.
russmax
Mars Ambassador

Post by russmax »

OldGaot,
Don't get distracted by the out-loud scribblings of old astronomy guys who have too much gear.
The Williams Optics 45 deg prism is the one you want for terrestrial use. I bet you end up using it a lot for night sky viewing, as well.

I have some ideas about which telescope would work best for you, but frankly, I think the 127 Maksutov you've chosen will make you happy. You are afraid of making the wrong choice, but there are only a few wrong choices and a bunch of right ones.

To prevent a repeat of the bad telescope experience of your youth, do this. Sight your finderscope during the day on a distant terrestrial object. Adjust it until what you see in the finderscope is what you see in the main telescope. With that Mak, you will be amazed at the magnification you get.

--Russmax
----------
Celestron AVX 8" SCT & Omni XLT 102 AZ
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

OldGaot wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:40 am Well, I think I'm thoroughly confused with respect to the accessories. I HAVE to get an image inverter or I will never hear the end of it when my wife looks through it! :D But I now have no idea which one I should get. I am definitely thinking the 32mm plossel and zoom make a whole lot of sense... I will refrain from opining on the various flavors of Unix (been there heard that)

There's the barlow, but with the long focal-length of the Orion Maksutov you may want only a 2x, or you may just want to skip it altogether. A barlow is a multiplier. If you have a 16mm(96x) eyepiece, you can place it into a 2x-barlow, then both of those into the diagonal, and get an effective 8mm(193x). The Orion Maksutov has a focal-length of 1540mm. At this point, I don't think you'd need one, but I wanted to make mention of it nonetheless.

I have three, good barlows...
barlows2.jpg
barlows2.jpg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 2940 times
...but I use them with telescopes with much shorter focal-lengths. I don't anticipate using them with my ES 127mm Maksutov, particularly given its whopping 1900mm focal-length.

I had gotten a very nice, absorptive dew-shield for my Maksutov, branded "Farpoint". Here is the telescope with and without...
dew shield8.jpg
I had gotten this one from Farpoint... https://farpointastro.com/shop/farpoint ... 5-5se-sct/

It's for a Celestron 5" Schmidt, yet it fit my Maksutov perfectly. The diameter of my own is 5 13/16". That of the Orion is 5 11/16"; a difference of only 1/8", and therefore negligible. You can go ahead and get that one. It's really nice...
dew shield5.jpg
I had gotten mine back in August, and the shipping was free; can't beat that.

Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

I definitely agree a Barlow is of little use on a 127mm Synta Mak.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Dear John, (I've always wanted to write one of these!)

You should have figured out by now that these guys will tell you how to build a clock when all you did was ask, "What time is it?"

You know that any optical instrument you purchase will have certain compromises you must make, some more, some less. You know what you need to do. So it is time to either vomit or walk away from the toilet!

No matter what you purchase, we will still be here to answer any follow on questions you may have, but the ball is in your court.

We are here for the long haul for you! It is time my friend! You can do this!

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

OldGaot wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:40 am Well, I think I'm thoroughly confused with respect to the accessories. I HAVE to get an image inverter or I will never hear the end of it when my wife looks through it! :D But I now have no idea which one I should get. I am definitely thinking the 32mm plossel and zoom make a whole lot of sense... I will refrain from opining on the various flavors of Unix (been there heard that)
Just get a simple 45 degree erect image prism. They're almost all made by Synta and work fine as long as you don't go too low power. It'll be ok with the eyepieces that come supplied. After you get experience of your own you can decide if you really need to lay out big bucks on lower power eyepieces and a dance erecting pentaprism.

For now it's good enough and our well intentioned overly complicated advice is just confusing things.

Thanks for not contributing to the UNIX religious wars BTW. ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

JayTee wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:59 am Dear John, (I've always wanted to write one of these!)

You should have figured out by now that these guys will tell you how to build a clock when all you did was ask, "What time is it?"

You know that any optical instrument you purchase will have certain compromises you must make, some more, some less. You know what you need to do. So it is time to either vomit or walk away from the toilet!

No matter what you purchase, we will still be here to answer any follow on questions you may have, but the ball is in your court.

Cheers,
JT
Perfection is the enemy of good enough and I fear that we've gone overboard gilding this lily. :lol:
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

The OP had stated, "I'd like a scope or binos that I can use for terrestrial viewing most of the time. However, I would also like to be able to do a bit of astronomy. Call it 80/20."

A BK7 prism...

https://agenaastro.com/meade-928-1-25-4 ... prism.html

A BAK4 prism...

https://agenaastro.com/william-optics-1 ... gonal.html

There are no middling units at $40, $50, $60, or $70, to be had.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Given the Maksutov's long focal-length, and predominately narrower views, there is the option of adding an 80mm f/5 achromat, and as a low-power, wide-field accessory...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... psQAvD_BwE

OldGaot
Earth Ambassador

Post by OldGaot »

russmax wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:32 am OldGaot,
Don't get distracted by the out-loud scribblings of old astronomy guys who have too much gear.
The Williams Optics 45 deg prism is the one you want for terrestrial use. I bet you end up using it a lot for night sky viewing, as well.

I have some ideas about which telescope would work best for you, but frankly, I think the 127 Maksutov you've chosen will make you happy. You are afraid of making the wrong choice, but there are only a few wrong choices and a bunch of right ones.

To prevent a repeat of the bad telescope experience of your youth, do this. Sight your finderscope during the day on a distant terrestrial object. Adjust it until what you see in the finderscope is what you see in the main telescope. With that Mak, you will be amazed at the magnification you get.

--Russmax
Thanks for the advice. Per the first sentence of my first post: "have hit the point of realization that no matter what I decide, it will be wrong" While said somewhat in cheek, this is one of those things where it is impossible to know what the right answer is since I don't have enough real about how I will actually use it to make an educated decision. Anyhow, greatly appreciate the confirmation on the Williams
OldGaot
Earth Ambassador

Post by OldGaot »

JayTee wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:59 am Dear John, (I've always wanted to write one of these!)

Cheers,
JT
Boy, this really, really hurts to say, since your desire to write a Dear John note has apparently been on your bucket-list. Alas, my name is not John (my e-mail address starts with the first four letters of my last name) :)

I agree that compromises will be made. Just gotta hold your nose and jump into the pond. (Your saying reminds me of one of my father's; although, he was a bit more succinct : "SH%T or get off the pot!" )
OldGaot
Earth Ambassador

Post by OldGaot »

Sky Tinker...thanks for the recommendation on the dew shield.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I am sure you will be quite happy with the telescope and mount you choose.
The nice thing now is there is a community to help you get the most from it now.
I am looking forward to your new telescopes arrival and thoughts on it. :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
OldGaot
Earth Ambassador

Post by OldGaot »

Well the deed is done. If I don't like it, I blame y'all!
I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions and need lots of help...you look through the small end, right?
Thanks for everyone's help