Seasonal changes for viewing, AP

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
N6GQ
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Seasonal changes for viewing, AP

Post by N6GQ »

This is probably a dumb question but I honestly am curious.

I live in Texas. In the winter, it can be quite cold and brisk. In the Summer, it can be quite warm and sometimes humid.

I'm guessing that there are good versus not so good times for viewing and AP through the seasons, but not sure which ones are better.

In the winter, we have more darkness but colder, in the summer its much warmer but nights much shorter. So certainly summer would be more enjoyable to be outside late at night. But does the higher temperatures cause less visibility, or some other factors I haven't considered?

Thanks much!
Celestron Nexstar 6SE, Baader Hyperion zoom EP, Canon 1500D, Oberwerk 11x70LW
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Seasonal changes for viewing, AP

Post by JayTee »

Very simply - Astronomers (us included) like warm summer nights - so comfortable. Camera sensors LOVE frigid winter nights because heat = noise! The colder your sensor the lower the noise. And noise is the enemy of astrophotographers!

Now the unfortunate part - the Summer sky contains the Milky Way with just a plethora of goodies to look at and image. It would be a lot nicer if all the really great stuff was collected together in the Winter sky. Also, unfortunately, that would mean all our southern hemisphere brethren would get the raw end of the deal!

It's that simple,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

For the last two years, rain and cloud have dominated the English weather. I like spring and late summer best, as there's a bit of darkness before bedtime and it's neither too hot nor too cold.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

I don't know that I have a preference on season from a climate standpoint.

For me:

Spring pros: Virgo, Coma Berenices, Leo, Ursa Major, and galaxies. Of course, galaxies are all over the place all year long, but in northern spring the volume ramps up a lot. The frog songs down at the pond provide a nice chorus to the observing. Nice to be able to shed some layers of clothing as temps warm.
Sping cons: I live in tornado alley. 'Nuff said. I'm lucky if I actually get a clear night not wrecked by thunderstorms or mired in cloud cover. Around here, observing or AP are lean in the spring.

Summer pros: Looking inward toward the galactic core (Milky Way), loads of nice nebulae, globular and open clusters. Warm nights and t-shirt weather. The fireflies are fun to watch too.
Summer cons: Full dark arrives quite late and don't get me started on daylight saving time. This cuts down on how late I am willing to stay out on a work night. For AP, harder to cool the cam down properly. The worst scourge of summertime astronomy, in my mind, are the mosquitos! And around here, the swamp-butt humidity gets old pretty quickly. I usually find myself longing for winter observing.

Autumn pros: Just something about autumn. Cooler air, crickets, Andromeda! Some good meteor showers. The mosquitos have backed off. Another especially good time for galaxy observing.
Autumn cons: Dew! Dew! Dew! Around here, the temperature and the dew point are often walking hand-in-hand. Everything is wet and adrip. And the spiders! Last year's babies have ripened into large hairy brutes that sit on your eyepiece, sit on your atlas, sit in your bag of AP cables, ride around on the back of your shirt. The new crop of babies are busy ballooning and stringing web all over the place, including your face and telescope. High heebie-jeebie factor. :D

Winter pros: Somehow it just feels more secure being all bundled up warmly. Orion! Air masses can be drier and kick the dew point down. More good galaxy hunting. Outer bands of the Milky Way, nebulae and open clusters. Easy to cool the cam down and low noise for AP. It gets dark really early!
Winter cons: Its #$%^@#$ cold out there! Dew freezes! I can tolerate it being pretty cold, but when you get a slight push of a breeze it can be a game-changer. Sometimes it gets old setting up in the dark. I often find myself longing for summertime observing. :lol:

Other factors...

Northern summertime and even into autumn tends to be the time that wildfire season is in full swing, at least in North America. All that smoke gets into the upper atmosphere and can really bog down the transparency of the atmosphere. Of course, I'd much rather be complaining about the transparency than suffering from a wildfire...

As for seeing conditions (turbulence in the atmosphere), this is largely governed by weather patterns and position of the jet stream, frontal boundaries, storms passing (or just having passed). High-pressure anti-cyclonic systems seem to steady things up a might, while low-pressure cyclonic systems muck it up. I've not really logged data on that, though, and am foolishly relying on memory. :D

Just my thoughts...
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

N6GQ
Earth Ambassador

Post by N6GQ »

bladekeeper wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:34 am I don't know that I have a preference on season from a climate standpoint.

For me:

Spring pros: Virgo, Coma Berenices, Leo, Ursa Major, and galaxies. Of course, galaxies are all over the place all year long, but in northern spring the volume ramps up a lot. The frog songs down at the pond provide a nice chorus to the observing. Nice to be able to shed some layers of clothing as temps warm.
Sping cons: I live in tornado alley. 'Nuff said. I'm lucky if I actually get a clear night not wrecked by thunderstorms or mired in cloud cover. Around here, observing or AP are lean in the spring.

Summer pros: Looking inward toward the galactic core (Milky Way), loads of nice nebulae, globular and open clusters. Warm nights and t-shirt weather. The fireflies are fun to watch too.
Summer cons: Full dark arrives quite late and don't get me started on daylight saving time. This cuts down on how late I am willing to stay out on a work night. For AP, harder to cool the cam down properly. The worst scourge of summertime astronomy, in my mind, are the mosquitos! And around here, the swamp-butt humidity gets old pretty quickly. I usually find myself longing for winter observing.

Autumn pros: Just something about autumn. Cooler air, crickets, Andromeda! Some good meteor showers. The mosquitos have backed off. Another especially good time for galaxy observing.
Autumn cons: Dew! Dew! Dew! Around here, the temperature and the dew point are often walking hand-in-hand. Everything is wet and adrip. And the spiders! Last year's babies have ripened into large hairy brutes that sit on your eyepiece, sit on your atlas, sit in your bag of AP cables, ride around on the back of your shirt. The new crop of babies are busy ballooning and stringing web all over the place, including your face and telescope. High heebie-jeebie factor. :D

Winter pros: Somehow it just feels more secure being all bundled up warmly. Orion! Air masses can be drier and kick the dew point down. More good galaxy hunting. Outer bands of the Milky Way, nebulae and open clusters. Easy to cool the cam down and low noise for AP. It gets dark really early!
Winter cons: Its #$%^@#$ cold out there! Dew freezes! I can tolerate it being pretty cold, but when you get a slight push of a breeze it can be a game-changer. Sometimes it gets old setting up in the dark. I often find myself longing for summertime observing. :lol:

Other factors...

Northern summertime and even into autumn tends to be the time that wildfire season is in full swing, at least in North America. All that smoke gets into the upper atmosphere and can really bog down the transparency of the atmosphere. Of course, I'd much rather be complaining about the transparency than suffering from a wildfire...

As for seeing conditions (turbulence in the atmosphere), this is largely governed by weather patterns and position of the jet stream, frontal boundaries, storms passing (or just having passed). High-pressure anti-cyclonic systems seem to steady things up a might, while low-pressure cyclonic systems muck it up. I've not really logged data on that, though, and am foolishly relying on memory. :D

Just my thoughts...
Fantastic treatise, [mention]bladekeeper[/mention], thank you. That really helped me a lot.
Celestron Nexstar 6SE, Baader Hyperion zoom EP, Canon 1500D, Oberwerk 11x70LW
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

My favorites are Spring and Fall. I like to cheat as well - getting up early on autumn mornings when it is not cold yet to see the Winter constellations and observe them in a long sleeved -T. Likewise, I get up on Spring mornings to view the Summer constellations. A caveat here is that summer eves are usually kaboshed by the fog, and winter eves by cloudy weather and rain. So that's how I get around the seasonal malaise. :cool:

:sprefac:
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N