recommendations for high light pollution, visual

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
N6GQ
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

recommendations for high light pollution, visual

Post by N6GQ »

Hey all, I'm new to a lot of this, revisiting some of what I learned 30+ years ago and learning a lot of new stuff along the way.

I live in a Bortle 6 zone. Residential area. I think I'd get the most out of having something to use in my back yard. I have a Nexstar 6SE that I have been having fun with, and an old home brew 10" newtonian/dobsonian that has seen better days. I am putting together plans now to build out my astrophotography capability but honestly I think I'd have more fun just with visual. So I'm wondering what I should start to look for in terms of good visual capabilities in this Bortle 6 zone for best viewing of DSOs and galaxies?

Someone near me has a Skywatcher 12" Flextube Synscan in good condition at a good price. I know its pretty large/heavy/bulky but if it were for home use then that would be ok. For the Bortle 6 zone, would a large dobsonian reflector be my best bet? Are there any advantages to a refractor in the high LP areas for DSOs?

Thanks for the guidance!
Celestron Nexstar 6SE, Baader Hyperion zoom EP, Canon 1500D, Oberwerk 11x70LW
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: recommendations for high light pollution, visual

Post by helicon »

My experience is that even with moderate light pollution you will be better off the larger aperture you have to observe DSOs. There is some point where there are diminishing returns, but it's true that fainter objects will appear brighter in general, and you will be able to probe further into the universe. For example, I can see M1 (Crab Nebula) in my 6" scope, but the view is much brighter in my 10". Also, I am able to see a decent amount of the NGC galaxies with my ten inch, but with the 6", not so much. My light pollution is between Bortle 6-7. Of course, it's also true the 6" scope would perform better at a dark sky site than a 10" from a light-polluted backyard.

Of course, one must keep in mind that objects of low surface brightness are difficult to observe from the backyard, such as M33 and M101, both lower surface brightness objects. Hence, some galaxies that are fainter than M33 and M101 will actually be easier to see because the light emanating from them is more condensed. With planets, light pollution makes no difference, so you are good there.

:sprefac:
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
N6GQ
Earth Ambassador

Post by N6GQ »

[mention]helicon[/mention] thank you for your thoughts, much appreciated!
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Is your 10" Newt refurbishable? I repurposed my 8" Newt (home built in 1972) and put it on a new Dob mount and now it sees quite a bit of use. There is not a lot of difference between a 10 and 12" Newt of roughly the same f ratio. Maybe you're just "Jonesing" for a new scope, and I can't say that I blame you. Just remember that your best scope is the one you will actually use!

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

N6GQ
Earth Ambassador

Post by N6GQ »

JayTee wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:40 am Is your 10" Newt refurbishable? I repurposed my 8" Newt (home built in 1972) and put on a new Dob mount and now it sees quite a bit of use. There is not a lot of difference between a 10 and 12" Newt of roughly the same f ratio. Maybe you're just "Jonesing" for a new scope, and I can't say that I blame you. Just remember that your best scope is the one you will actually use!

Cheers,
JT
[mention]JayTee[/mention] my old newt has no adjustments on the secondary to collimate. Not sure how it was originally done. But I must admit, there is a good deal of jonesing as you put it for sure, and ya, kind of have a hole burning in my pocket ;) I was out tonight doing some photography to see how I like that. Its kinda fun too but I think where I am is SO light polluted that its going to be pretty tough to do much at all from my residential back yard unless I can convince my neighbors to turn off their floodlights :|
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

For the light polluted backyard aperture is the most deciding factor for DSOs. If you can get 12" for a good price locally that could be a good move. It will give you ~40% increase in light-gathering over 10", not revolutionary but quite noticeable. You will also likely get improvement in sharpness and contrast over your home made DOB.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Hello N6GQ! I’m in the camp of “Bigger is Better” Since your 10” is going to take some cash to bring it up to snuff and even then it may be only wishful thinking I would go with a 12” Dob. You can put together some light baffles with a PVC frame and a tarp and you would be surprised at how much you’re going to see with the 12” Dob. You could also pretty easily make a cart or dolly to roll the scope out to your viewing area without having to assemble and then break it down for each session. Many Messiers are visible even in bright moonlight and your view of Jupiter and Saturn will be amazing. I’m a hard core visual guy and love every minute of it! Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :twocents: :P
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Yes unfortunately we almost all have to put up with LP and its not getting better with LED lights all over the place they have virtually killed my observing at home , I dont think even a 12inch will solve my problem , I used to see quite a lot with a 8 Inch but the last 2 years has been bad , I see Sirius , Canapus , even the stars of orion are hard to see , and the Souther cross has almost gone quite sad, I did try AP , using Short exposures with a 80mm WO , was ok but not for me. We have a share in a friends game farm so I have moved my scopes there , only kept my 150 Mak here for the occasional look at planets
I could try and get a 18inch but it would not be used much they are just too big one needs an observatory for that and with all the trees etc would not work
The sky is so dark at the farm , we only have solar/battery power there that I sometimes get confused just so many stars all bright , problem is the farm is 340km away
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I'm in a B8 and use 2 fracs (80mm and 120mm) at home for DSO observing. But it depends on the DSO. Open clusters are good to great, some globs are decent but many are faint itty-bitty fuzzballs. A few brighter galaxies are ok, but M33 for example is nowhere to be seen. Brighter emission and reflection nebulas are ok to pretty good, but M78 is not visible.

The positive side is that I can carry my scopes onto my deck one-handed and I'm observing in a few minutes. Plus they're light enough that I can take them to a dark(er) site pretty easily.

I'm not sure I'd want a big Dob myself just because of the bulk and need for storage space. But maybe someday...
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

pakarinen wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:19 pm I'm in a B8 and use 2 fracs (80mm and 120mm) at home for DSO observing. But it depends on the DSO. Open clusters are good to great, some globs are decent but many are faint itty-bitty fuzzballs. A few brighter galaxies are ok, but M33 for example is nowhere to be seen. Brighter emission and reflection nebulas are ok to pretty good, but M78 is not visible.

The positive side is that I can carry my scopes onto my deck one-handed and I'm observing in a few minutes. Plus they're light enough that I can take them to a dark(er) site pretty easily.

I'm not sure I'd want a big Dob myself just because of the bulk and need for storage space. But maybe someday...
We hope to retire to a small farm in SW Michigan in few more years going from B8 Maryland to fireflies as observing companions. Some day.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

A lot of people enjoy observing and trying to split interesting doubles and binary stars as their observation can be less affected by LP.
I understand that these are often best hunted down with a good refractor - and it doesn't need to be huge as they will often take more magnification than the usual rules of thumb allow.
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Gfamily wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:07 pm A lot of people enjoy observing and trying to split interesting doubles and binary stars as their observation can be less affected by LP.
I understand that these are often best hunted down with a good refractor - and it doesn't need to be huge as they will often take more magnification than the usual rules of thumb allow.
I enjoy doubles with my frac at around 120x - you are correct, they are seldom impacted by light pollution.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

I live less than two miles, as the crow flies, from the supernova known as the Las Vegas Strip... one of the brightest places in the world. After moving here from a super-dark site in northern California, I bought "the bible" of urban observing... "The Urban Astronomer's Guide", by Rod Mollise.

Read that book and then read it again. It will change your life.

To quote Uncle Rod, "In the city, aperture always wins." Throw that old dob away and buy at least a new, adjustable 10" dob and keep it collimated.

Build the light shields from PVC pipe and tarps from Harbor Freight... as mentioned above.

Pick your spots. By that I mean don't go dim galaxy hunting when the moon is in the sky, and make a concerted effort to attack a target when it is close to Zenith. Plan your sessions!

Like most, I have every piece of target acquisition software there is, from Stellarium to StarTools. However, a simple planisphere is an awesome tool to determine what targets will be available during the seasons, etc.

Reduce your expectations. If you've ever been to a truly dark site to observe, don't think that dim galaxy is going to pop out in the city... it won't. You'll still be able to see it when everything is just right though.

To be a truly successful urban astronomer, you need to have a nazi-like attitude. Over the last three years, I've found niney-two Messier objects in my backyard by the pool. Speaking of pools, if you have any cute little decorative lights anywhere in the backyard, do this... Buy a bunch of Home Depot buckets, one for each stinking light, and paint them black on the inside. Cover each light. A good wife is important to the urban astronomer. :lol:

Now, read that darn book for the third time. :)

Clear, Dark Skies

BTW: It is so bright in my backyard that I can read the date on a copper penny held in the palm of my hand.
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I can tell you one thing I have learned with high LP.

I have learned to love the Moon :)
I spend a lot of time mapping it.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Lowjiber wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:37 pm Build the light shields from PVC pipe and tarps from Harbor Freight
I built mine with black shower curtains. About $12 each from Amazon. Possibly quieter than tarps if the wind picks up, but they do have to be weighed down in a strong breeze. I use spring clamps from HF to weigh them down.

I'll have to check out Uncle Rod's book.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s