After further consideration, I think I'll hold off on Telescope Astrophotography ;)

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
WahooMike
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

After further consideration, I think I'll hold off on Telescope Astrophotography ;)

Post by WahooMike »

I imagine a lot of beginners are like me. Get a telescope, start checking out all of these great AP photos, then thinking, "I'll do that, too!". And as a professional photographer, this is something I definitely want to do... at some point. For now, I'm going to do the best I can with what I have. I have a nice scope for a beginner, although not the best option for AP (but doable, as I've seen from others). But, the NexStar 8SE is great for viewing with what I have.

CURRENT SETUP (all of this for right around $2K)
This should be plenty good for checking out the Cosmos with my 11yo son Charlie
  • Celestron NexStar 8SE SCT
    Baader Hyperion Zoom 8-24mm EP (72°)
    Orion 1.25" Variable Polarizing Filter (1%-40%)
    Celestron Solar Filter
    Celestron Lens Shade
    Celestron f6.3 Corrrector/Reducer
    Celestron SkyPortal Wi-Fi Module
    Celestron Vibration Pads
    Celestron AC Adapter
    Celestron Power Tank
    Celestron Universal Smart Phone Adapter (might still want to get some moon, sun and eclipse shots)
    Celestron Lens Pen Optical Cleaning Tool
    Celestron Sky Maps
NEAR FUTURE ADD-ONS FOR ASTRONOMY
  • Baader Hyperion Aspheric 31mm EP
    Starlight Instruments Feather Touch Micro Focuser (the focuser on the 8SE could be better)
    Baader 2" BBHS Sital Mirror Diagonal w/ 2" SCT Lockring
    A few dedicated 82° Explore Scientific EPs (still undecided)
    Celestron SkySync GPS
    Red Light Lamp
    Adjustable Chair
    Larger Space Heater (It's fricken COLD out there late at night!)
Of course, that doesn't mean I won't attempt some Milky Way Astrophotography with the Canon EOS1DX on a very solid tripod (Manfrotto w/ 3047 3-way head, with levelers). Even without an EQ mount, a solid tripod and good full-frame camera with high ISO range and low noise can still produce some excellent shots, at least until I can afford something more. With the basics, I believe it will help me to understand proper lighting, ISO range, focusing, and how much exposure time I can get out of that setup.

Once I'm ready for the next step, I think I've got a decent game plan. I've watched some videos (particularly from "AstroBackyard"), and it appears the best way to get started in AP is to start with a very wide field refractor scope with a decent EQ mount. Thoughts?

NEXT PHASE OF AP EVOLUTION
  • Canon EOS Rebel SL3 (or T7i) DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens
    William Optics RedCat 51 (The Internet says this is a good first AP refractor, and the Internet is always right. lol)
    Celestron AVX EQ Mount (scaled down for now, will upgrade later - not intending THIS one for the SCT, only lightweight DSLRs)
Would love to eventually go full out and get a larger EQ Mount, Cooled Imager, Tracking Scope, etc. But all of that adds many more thousands of dollars to the project. I'll stick with the basics, for now (the above set up still runs just over $2K). I'm learning that there's so much more to AP than just getting the equipment. it's the learning curve with regard to Stacking Programs and separation/processing of colors in Photoshop that will take some getting used to. Probably will need to get out there with the local Astro group and learn OJT :)

BTW, I'm an excellent landscape and sports photographer, shooting professionally since 1998, so I really want to explore AP, but I need to get it right. With the right education and equipment, I know I will be able to capture some absolutely STELLAR deep space images - one day. But first I need to learn how to crawl before I can run. Now, how do I locate the moon again? ;)

Clear Skies everyone!
Cheers!
- Mike (Go Hoos!)

Scope & EPs: NexStar 8SE, Baader Hyperion Zoom Mark IV 8-24 EP (72°)
Filters, Etc: Celestron f6.3 Corrector-Reducer, Orion Variable Polarizing Filter, Celestron 94244 8" Solar Filter
Astro Gear: Canon EOS1D Mark IV, Ioptron Skyguider Pro EQ Mount
Astro Lenses: Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Rokinon 14mm f2.8.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: After further consideration, I think I'll hold off on Telescope Astrophotography ;)

Post by JayTee »

Hi Mike,

That is a wise and excellent decision. The vast majority of folks who dabble with the idea of astrophotography don't realize that it's much the same as saying "I think I'll go swimming", while not realizing that it's more like sticking your face in front of an open fire hydrant.

I think kicking this can a little bit down the road so you can thoroughly enjoy your current setup is a great idea.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: After further consideration, I think I'll hold off on Telescope Astrophotography ;)

Post by sdbodin »

Sounds like excellent advice to yourself. Get to know the sky and what you most enjoy. This will shape which type of astrophotography you would like to dive into, planetary, deep sky either wide field or narrow field, or nightscapes. Each requires different gear.

On that RedCat, you probably have a telephoto lens that duplicates this already, I do, an ancient Vivitar 250mm f4.5, my DeadCat. This Cat is rather expensive, you can get a nice 80 APO for that price and you can look thru the 80.

Clear skies,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
WahooMike
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by WahooMike »

sdbodin wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:36 pm Sounds like excellent advice to yourself. Get to know the sky and what you most enjoy. This will shape which type of astrophotography you would like to dive into, planetary, deep sky either wide field or narrow field, or nightscapes. Each requires different gear.

On that RedCat, you probably have a telephoto lens that duplicates this already, I do, an ancient Vivitar 250mm f4.5, my DeadCat. This Cat is rather expensive, you can get a nice 80 APO for that price and you can look thru the 80.

Clear skies,
Steve
I have a Canon f2.8 70-200mm lens. Would that suffice? I imagine I could get some good shots with that and a nice EQ Mount. Unfortunately, the 1DX isn't mine. I borrow from a friend. My best camera, currently, is an EOS1D MK2. Pushing much past 1600 ISO and it's very grainy. I need something of my own that can push upwards of 10000 ISO. For the price, I'm considering the Canon Rebel SL3 with Digic8 processor, or T7i with Digic7. Those two do a great job, from what I've seen and heard. Although I would LOVE to have the Canon EOS RP (mirrorless), which is a dedicated AP Camera. But it's twice the cost and can only be used for AP.
Cheers!
- Mike (Go Hoos!)

Filters, Etc: Celestron f6.3 Corrector-Reducer, Orion Variable Polarizing Filter, Celestron 94244 8" Solar Filter
Astro Lenses: Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Rokinon 14mm f2.8.
WahooMike
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by WahooMike »

Thanks guys. I'm glad I'm low on cash, else I may have made some serious mistakes with regard to purchasing. I believe I've currently ONLY got the basics and 'real' necessities in terms of accessories. And I haven't gone out and bought a ton of sub-standard EPs and filters. I think the Baader Zoom is a good start to find out what I really need, and it's honestly not a bad all-around EP. Glad I went in that direction and didn't hold onto the Celestron EP and Filter Kit that was only a 52° AFOV. I'm at 72° with the Baader, which is nice.
Cheers!
- Mike (Go Hoos!)

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Hi Mike,
Your zoom might work, only a sky test would tell. But, I generally stay away from zooms, too much glass in the way to screw with the image. As to DSLRs, last SLR I had, the ccd went in on a roll that said Kodak on the side!

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
WahooMike
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by WahooMike »

sdbodin wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:58 pm Hi Mike,
Your zoom might work, only a sky test would tell. But, I generally stay away from zooms, too much glass in the way to screw with the image. As to DSLRs, last SLR I had, the ccd went in on a roll that said Kodak on the side!

Steve

LOL, I love your comment about the SLR. I've shot professionally since 1998 and my first camera was a $300 Canon EOS Rebel Elan II. It was a film camera with 'maybe' 3 frames per second. The best photo I ever took was with that camera and a fixed 200mm lens. It is considered one of the most important photos in Virginia Cavaliers Football history - the winning touchdown celebration, capping off the greatest comeback in school history, over Virginia's biggest rival. This version has been edited to blur the background for this particular Desktop Wallpaper.

Cheers!
- Mike (Go Hoos!)

Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Shabadoo »

I enjoy looking at other peoples' pictures. It cost less, and I get more sky time. Good decision on your part. Try to not go down the rabbit hole, except if you got deep pockets.
Best regards, Jeff
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
TCampbell United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by TCampbell »

The shorter the focal length of the lens ... the easier the astrophotography. Long telescope focal lengths are very unforgiving when it comes to tracking accuracy.

If you throw a typical camera lens ... not even a wide angle lens ... on a tracking head, you can get images without needing any "guide scope" or "auto guiding" system.

Here's one I shot using a Canon 60Da (APS-C frame but the "a" suffix means Canon modded this for sensitivity in the reds so it's better for emission nebulae). The lens used was a Canon EF 135mm f/2 USM.

I did this as an HDR... some 2 minutes frames, some 1 minute frames, some 15 second frames, and some 3 second frames (and ... I sort of wish I would have taken a few even shorter frames... maybe 1 second). That's because the faintest bits of the nebulae wont show up in short exposures... but the brightest bits are completely blown out unless the exposure is rather short.

No telescope... no auto-guider, etc.

I find that if the tripod is "solid" and the tracker is working well and has a good polar alignment, I generally don't need any "guiding" system at focal lengths of around 500mm or shorter. As you get over 1000mm or above... then the system starts to get fussy about tracking accuracy and you probably need an auto-guiding system (guide-scope or off-axis guider and software.)

I've done Andromeda in 8 minute exposures through a 540mm scope with no auto-guiding (although the mount was a pretty good mount so I'm not sure if those results are typical).
Scopes: PlaneWave 12.5 CDK - Meade 14" LX200-ACF - TeleVue NP101is - Lunt LS80Ha
Mounts: Losmandy G11 - Losmandy GM8 - Losmandy StarLapse
Cameras: Canon 60Da - ZWO ASI128MC-Pro - ZWO ASI174MM-Cool - ZWO ASI174MM-Mini
Software (Raspberry Pi): ZWO ASIair - StellarMate / Software (Mac): AstroImager - AstroDSLR - AstroGuider
Wish list items: Weather Controller
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Wise decision Mike :)

I have been doing visual since 1968, I still haven’t tried AP.
Well, I did once with film, bet you know how that turned out LOL

Take it slow, enjoy the ride :) :telescopewink:
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

I find so much to photograph with an undriven DSLR that I not interested in doing driven long exposure stuff. I also dabble in planetary imaging and use my DSLR with an adaptor to snap the Moon, planets and Sun (when it isn't quiet, as now). I like to think I've found a niche and (at the risk of sounding narcissistic) have been commended for many of my shots. Here's a selection:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippug ... 425316703/

For more explanation, see my blog:

https://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/202 ... -2020.html

OK, it takes practice but doesn't need anything you don't already have.
man1
Moon Ambassador

Post by man1 »

Shabadoo wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:01 am I enjoy looking at other peoples' pictures. It cost less, and I get more sky time. Good decision on your part. Try to not go down the rabbit hole, except if you got deep pockets.
Best regards, Jeff
The thrill is different for each one of us, I have been using Binoculars for a very long time and just recently bought a 10" Dobs (Orion XT10i). I enjoy the hunt
for different views, over the years I learned the sky and know where to look. I am to much of a perfectionist and I don't think much hobby photography equipment
would do for me. I created a database and only the very...very best pictures I find online go in it. Needless to say, they are usually commercial pictures taken with
equipment that the home budget could never afford. Every new picture gets evaluated and might replace an older version that is not as good.
I think there is nothing wrong on the pride side, not having taken the picture myself... but a couple million dollars of equipment just do take better pictures.
Visual and in real time... is my motto. :-)
Orion XT10i custom, Orion GiantView BT-70, Bushnell Natureview 20-60x65, Barska 25-125x80
SkySafari6 Pro & 7 Pro, SkyFi 3, ASI290MC, T7C